Wifi / Cell Boosters - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Having the amp in the dinette area hasn't been a problem; our solar controller is under the passenger side dinette immediately in front of the battery box.

Will probably get a port put in when we visit Chilliwack next Spring. Am also going to attach a ground plane to the rear passenger side solar panel's bolt for when I don't need the extra height of the pole.

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #12

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
You may want to look into the wifi system described by this guy:

Private RV Wi-Fi and Making a Better Park Connection for Under $100 | Outside Our Bubble

I had most of the parts for this already for a ham radio project, so I set it up in my basement and got it working, and was able to access it with my laptop, iPad and iPhone.

My local ham radio club set up a similar system at the club house to access the local library wifi system which is 300 meters away. It works well. Instead of an airgateway described in the web site, we just use an old router for that system.

Is this web guru stuff? For sure. But I followed the instructions given in the above web site to the letter and I had no problem getting my system working. Ubiquiti wifi gear is excellent, and there seems to be a lot of used gear on the secondary market. Keep in mind that usefulness will always depend on having line-of-site view of an internet access point with minimum of obstacles such as foliage.

Jim
Rockland Ontario Canada
PS: this is my first post. My Escape 19 Build sheet is due in January so I've been lurking and researching diligently. There is lots of great info on this forum.

redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Jim,
I read Outside our Bubble and read this post previosuly. I am NOT a tech person and I thought this would be above my skill level. You think a none techie could handle this?
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #14

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
I believe you could. The "Outside the Bubble" instructions are very good. I'm not a web guru by any means, I followed them and was successful. My setup has cost me under $100 using used ubiquity transceiver and new airgate router. The main concern when you buy one of these units is for the built-in firmware from Ubiquity to be intact and has not been modified, so that the unit can be properly configured out of the box.
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thanks Jim, your post was very helpful. The Wifi Ranger has been so problematic that they took down there chat room since it was being overwhelmed with unhappy folks. The Amazon reviews have been very poor as well. I will give this a try!
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose"
I was just looking at this online today: JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

Don't know if anyone has tried it.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I was just looking at this online today: JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs

Or the USB kit - simpler but only 1 PC at a time.

Also interested.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
There is another alternative for the technically-inclined. You can flash an old Linksys router with open-source firmware from dd-wrt.com and then enable the router to be used as a repeater. Then you'd only have to buy an antenna. I wonder if JefaTech is using the dd-wrt firmware.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21'
Thanks for the info on the mast, Dolly! We've been looking for something like that. Do you know how stiff it is? Can it handle a bit of wind?

We are having a 21 built (done in Feb) and I decided to wait on installing wifi/cell booster equipment. I want to see the trailer and where everything is. I had ETI drop 12v wires in the cabinets above the dinette. My current idea is to go out the back of the trailer and up a mast that will be mounted to the spare tire holder. I'm really interested in what other people have done. Thanks for this great discussion.
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post

I have one. I got it last year, and while I haven't had as much chance to use it as I would like, I am pleased so far. It seems to work well both to improve signal strength and minimize the effort involved with getting multiple devices connected to a campground network. My intent is to use it with campgrounds that have a week wifi signal at our campsite and for the occasional stop in places like Walmart or a Harvest Hosts site where there is only marginal WIFI in the campground.

I probably made some mistakes on the external antenna setup. I got the "super long range" 65 inch antenna and a 30' coax cable because I didn't know exactly how I would set the antenna and the repeater up. Looking backwards, I would probably get the shorter antenna and only use a 20' coax.

I attached the antenna metal receptacle to an 18" piece of PVC pipe, the antenna attaches to the metal receptacle with a small set screw. Then the 18" piece of PVC screws into a 6' piece of PVC, which in turn slides into a piece of PVC that is zip tied to the tongue jack. I end up with an antenna that is about 12' tall off the ground. I had Reace put in a port like the one used for a permanent electrical cord. I can snake the coax in the port, run it under the bed, and then have the repeater sit on the table at the end of the bed. Eventually, I would like to figure out a slicker way to do this, but so far I haven't had time to do a better installation. The trailer is buttoned up until we head south in a month or so, so I don't have photos. If I get a chance to take some this spring, I will.

The repeater can be used without an external antenna, but the range isn't nearly as good.

I wish I could give you a more informative review, but now know about as much as I do.