Wifi / Cell Boosters - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #121
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Mine gets pretty warm. If too warm, I disconnect the cord charging the phone while in the cradle - seems to help a bit.

My cradle is in an upper cabinet directly underneath the roof mounted antenna (which has a built-in ground plane) and has no oscillation issues.
Yep, they do get warm. Ours is located similarly with no attenuation issues. I did mount the cradle outside the cabinet door though, to help keep it cooler.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #122

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You say you have the cradle mounted, does everyone only use it for data and have a hotspot? I've used it for phone calls too where I have to keep it in the cradle while talking. Doesn't exactly make a permanent mount practical. Or am I missing something, which is a definite possibility.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #123
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You say you have the cradle mounted, does everyone only use it for data and have a hotspot? I've used it for phone calls too where I have to keep it in the cradle while talking. Doesn't exactly make a permanent mount practical. Or am I missing something, which is a definite possibility.
It's permanent in the sense that it's connected to a 12v drop in the overhead cabinet as well as connected to the roof mount antenna. There's some slack in the wires but you can't really move it. But, I used a command hook for the cradle. We put it in the cabinet while traveling and just hang it from the hook outside the cabinet when camping.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's permanent in the sense that it's connected to a 12v drop in the overhead cabinet as well as connected to the roof mount antenna. Can't really move it. But, I used a command hook for the cradle. We put it in the cabinet while traveling and just hang it from the hook outside the cabinet when camping.
Thanks, pretty much what I do except the antenna cable is long enough to reach where your sitting at the table. I do need to put in a 12v drop in the overhead for this, reaching down below the table to plug it in has turned out to be a bit of a hassle.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #125

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
While were on the subject, does your Sleek/WeBoost get hot? My wife's phone goes into some sort of protect mode when it gets too hot, not so mine, but the unit sure gets hot.
Mine is always a bit warm, but only hot when being used heavily (radio transmitters take power and that means heat) or when in direct sunshine.

Quote:
I am currently using mine only with a hotspot, but I would rather just find a proper external antenna setup for the hotspot and avoid using a booster with it at all. The cradle isn't mounted; it just sits a convenient surface. The eventual plan is to have it on the dash of the motorhome (for now) or tow vehicle (with the trailer) for a phone. The iPhone works so poorly that it marginal areas it is useless without a wifi network or booster.

The Sleek is definitely set up to be mounted on a dashboard.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #126

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Mine is always a bit warm, but only hot when being used heavily (radio transmitters take power and that means heat) or when in direct sunshine.

I am currently using mine only with a hotspot, but I would rather just find a proper external antenna setup for the hotspot and avoid using a booster with it at all. The cradle isn't mounted; it just sits a convenient surface. The eventual plan is to have it on the dash of the motorhome (for now) or tow vehicle (with the trailer) for a phone. The iPhone works so poorly that it marginal areas it is useless without a wifi network or booster.

The Sleek is definitely set up to be mounted on a dashboard.
I've used my Verizon Jetpack (a Netgear AC791L) with the antenna alone (without the Sleek, but since the BoatAnt peak gain is 10db, the 23db the Sleek is capable of adding is often necessary. In general, it is not worth unhooking the antenna from the Sleek, and using an adapter to connect it directly to the Jetpack. Generally, if I need more gain than the Jetpack along, I'll need the addition the Sleek provides.

As to heat, the Sleek cooked my previous hotspot battery. It swelled to the point where it popped the back cover off it. With my current set up I usually fire up the Jetpack alone, & if I can't get a good 4G LTE connection, rubber band it into the Sleek. I have a long enough antenna cable that when the outside temperature is warm I let it hang by the antenna outside the cabinet it is usually mounted in.

I have 2 Sleeks - an AT&T only version in the tow vehicle I use with my phone, and a version that can be switched between AT&T & Verizon in the trailer. Both are older models purchased before Wilson renamed (and redesigned) them as WeBoost.

For those wishing a 2 antenna system (one outside & one inside the trailer) so that you can use more than one device at a time and use a cell phone outside a cradle, you might take a look at the Maximum Signal Mobile Amp. I haven't used one, but it has had good reviews at the Escapees Discussion Group, and better gain for small installations than the equivalent WeBoost devices. Not inexpensive & relatively new, but worth looking at.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #127

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
As to heat, the Sleek cooked my previous hotspot battery. It swelled to the point where it popped the back cover off it.
My previous hotspot battery did the same, and I didn't even own the Sleek. The problem appears to be the inferior charging circuit in the hotspot (an AirCard 763S).

Quote:
I have 2 Sleeks - an AT&T only version in the tow vehicle I use with my phone, and a version that can be switched between AT&T & Verizon in the trailer.
I doubt these things are bright enough to know what network they're on - I assume the difference is just what frequency bands are supported (and different networks can use different combinations of bands). I could be mistaken.

Quote:
Both are older models purchased before Wilson renamed (and redesigned) them as WeBoost.
Mine is called a Sleek, and I bought it this summer. It was apparently an old stock clearout sale.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

...I doubt these things are bright enough to know what network they're on - I assume the difference is just what frequency bands are supported (and different networks can use different combinations of bands). I could be mistaken...
Correct. The early 4G Sleeks only covered one network's LTE bands so you had to choose. The later ones had a switch that selected the LTE band it operated on. The new WeBoost amplifiers covers all the current bands without switching.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #129

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Now that we are on the road we are using the Weboost new OTR antenna mounted on a fiberglass mast. The mast is mounted on my bicycle rack in the rear of my 21. I had ETI add access port to run the cable inside. Works great with my Weboost 4G -S booster. I am still debating whether to add a wi-fi signal repeater
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #130

Trailer: 2017 19'
Where did you have ETI put the access port? Do you have a photo of the port?
We are considering doing the same. Thanks!
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #131

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17ft
I love my Wilson 3 Watt booster it works like a charm!! Even in deep forested areas too!
Readn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #132

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Info needed

Porsche Pilot, Can you please post pictures or explain exactly what you are using, where you had ETI put the access port? What are you using inside for a booster?
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #133

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Has anyone used or considered the Uniant, also made by Wireng, makers of the BoatAnt? It's quite a bit taller at 26", but I'm considering it because it purports to be possibly the only such antenna specifically designed to create a dead spot directly below the antenna. This would allow for using a higher output booster without feedback issues, such as Weboost's 4G RV, which is a 3W transmitter intended for stationary use, thereby circumventing FCC limitations to 1W for mobile transmitters of this type. Interior antenna would require emplacement directly below exterior antenna, obviously. Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #134

Went with the short boat ant so I could leave it in place with the cover on.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:01 PM   #135

I plan to use one of these to fold the antenna flat for storage. Or possibly during travel.

Old 01-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #136

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I plan to use one of these to fold the antenna flat for storage. Or possibly during travel.

This looks like an option for us, as we're 50/50 currently on installing a roof for our Escape Vs getting a cover. Does this just install in place of the antenna, then the antenna is semi-permanently screwed on to it?
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #137

It’s an antenna base mount. A stainless pole screws to the base and then the antenna clamps to the pole. You can see it here with a UniAnt antenna. To the left is a non-adjustable mount, for comparison, affixed to the anemometer.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #138

Quote:

I had the plastic equivalent of this & had a difficult time finding a nut that fit the threads. I seems to be an oddball size. Don't know about the metal version...
Old 01-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #139

I used this extension mast, made by the same company as the base: Shakespeare 4700-1 1' Heavy-Duty Stainless Steel Extension Mast https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXRRO..._FPnzAbNZBAKKN
Old 01-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #140

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Has anyone used or considered the Uniant, also made by Wireng, makers of the BoatAnt? It's quite a bit taller at 26", but I'm considering it because it purports to be possibly the only such antenna specifically designed to create a dead spot directly below the antenna. This would allow for using a higher output booster without feedback issues, such as Weboost's 4G RV, which is a 3W transmitter intended for stationary use, thereby circumventing FCC limitations to 1W for mobile transmitters of this type. Interior antenna would require emplacement directly below exterior antenna, obviously. Thoughts?
I think this is the one I have. I haven't used it enough to give an opinion, though. It tends to come unscrewed from its mount, so I keep it inside the trailer unless I need it. It probably needs an extra locknut of some type on its mount.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote