Wifi / Cell Boosters - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #71

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The MiFi (or similar) is actually a separate device, so it is another subscriber device on the network and I would expect any carrier to charge for it, as Telus does for mine. The phone is already on the network, so using it with a tethered (or connected by Bluetooth) laptop is not an extra device on the mobile network, so I don't see a justification for an extra charge. Both of my phones are used as mobile hotspots (like the MiFi), and with Telus (as with ATT) that use doesn't change the charge; I don't see why tethering would.

In the end it doesn't matter what makes sense: you buy the service that is the best deal for you.
While I agree that adding a laptop via tethering shouldn't require an additional fee (as does Verizon), I suspect the reason AT&T does (or did) it is because most users do not use all of their purchased data allotment each month, particularly on a phone. Adding a computer or tablet will increase the amount of data used. While this may cause a few users to purchase more date, most will just use more of their current allotment, resulting in no additional income for AT&T but additional data usage.

I could be completely off base, but that's the way I figure it.

AT&T did raise the cost for my unlimited data by $5.00 this year, but $40.00 per month is still a good deal even if I can't tether the phone. If I was willing to "jailbreak" my phone I could add software that would allow tethering without AT&T's permission, but so far I'm following the rules.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #72

Trailer: on order 2017 17B Sept 2016
I think the Wilson weBoost Drive 4G-S Cell Phone Booster Kit - 470107 will work like Jon has. I can use it in the car and in the camper and not worry about the two antennas being too close to each other as it only has one! I Don't really want to put a hole in the camper but I will think about it more. Does it come with 12 volt and 120 volt adapter? Where is the best place to put it? Up in the front by small table is where I will use laptop. Do I need to add anything? Outlet etc?
I talked to AT&T and he said to up my plan to 5gb, I have 2gb now that rolls over to 4 if I don't use it up each month. I can use it as a hot spot for my laptop and also use my phone at the same time. (Voice and data both work with AT&T)
If I have an antenna installed I would have to do it now to have a wire run up to the dinette from the back. Does everyone have an antenna permenently installed up front?
Would I keep the cradle when using in camper on the center open shelf? or where?
Thanks again everyone... I think we're getting there. This has been very confusing but I think this is probably the best option. Jon you are a fabulous source of info and since you tried this I know it will work.

nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #73
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
In my 21 I mounted it aft of the fridge roof vent so that the bottom of the antenna is in an overhead cabinet. That way the fridge vent cover gives it a little protection against tree branches, but more importantly it's simple to replace the antenna if it gets broken. The ground plane spokes could get snagged fairly easily.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #74

If I understand you its in the cabinet above the refrigerator. I have a microwave in that cabinet so I wouldn't have access. Good idea. I really have never seen the camper, only photos. Unless you can get to it from the outside, remove vent cover? Do you have the cradle booster also? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #75

Charlie, How much data do you have with AT&T that allows you to stream Netflix? I have the share plan also but only 2 gb now.... will have to up it when I go pick up camper.
About the overhead cabinet and the frig vent cap.... I'm getting the 17b so my frig is on the door side. How would I get the wires over the door even if I could figure out to get antenna in cabinet above the frig. Remember I can only go by floor plan, haven't seen it.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #76

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
The Wilson weBoost Drive 4G-S Cell Phone Booster Kit comes with a short magnetic antenna & a 12V power supply (it is a USB connection on the WeBoost & a 12V to USB adapter & cable). I believe it is a 2 amp adapter. If you want 120V, be sure the USB adapter you purchase is rated for at least 2 amps.

The short, magnetic antenna has no gain. You can increase the gain by going to a better antenna, however that would likely require permanently mounting it. If you use the short antenna, you will need to provide a ground plane when used with the trailer. Again, a 6" - 8" metal disk will do the trick.

In my 17, I have the WirEng antenna mounted on the upper driver's side of the trailer just below the roofline & behind the AC. The antenna wiring runs behind the shower/bathroom & terminates in the front driver's side upper cabinet. Escape added a 12V receptacle in the panel just forward of the cabinet door; I use a 12V 3 way splitter to provide power for both the Sleek & the Jetpack, as well as a WiFi Ranger WiFi router. The Sleek sits inside the cabinet. While I suspect the WeBoost's WiFi signal will cover the entire trailer from anywhere, by placing it towards the front of the trailer there is a better chance that the WiFi signal will reach the tow vehicle. I have no problem picking it up in mine.

I keep a spare antenna & move the Sleek to my tow vehicle if I'm camping in an area that does not have cell coverage so I don't have to haul the trailer to the nearest coverage area. (I post a daily web page as often as possible, so connectivity is important to me).

As to data usage, I tend to use my entire allotment of 20GB per month on the jetpack, and about 10 - 12GB per month on the unlimited AT&T (when I have coverage). I don't stream video, however I do use Pandora, internet radio, and lots of photo intensive web sites (including my own), and, since I'm totally dependent on the jetpack for data services (no WiFi available in my winter camping area) system updates as well as app updates consume quite a bit of data. If you don't stream NetFlix or other TV/Video services, 5GB per month will probably be plenty of capacity. With streaming, it would be easy to go over that amount.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #77
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
Charlie, How much data do you have with AT&T that allows you to stream Netflix? I have the share plan also but only 2 gb now.... will have to up it when I go pick up camper.
I had the 2GB plan, but went up the next level (4?) when we started traveling more. We rarely use WIFI on the road to stream movies, but at the Osoyoos rally we were down on the lake front where there was no tv reception - and ATT had just added a free Canadian Roaming plan to my phone!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #78

Thanks Jon for your layout info... very helpful. If I have an antenna installed like you did would you get the current one you have now?
I think that there is a 12 volt receptacle in the short cabinet on the drivers side. Would I be able to use that for the Sleek if I had Escape install the antenna and run the cable thru the bathroom the cabinet on ds and across the front to the next cabinet on ps. Would the Sleek cable reach the 12v receptacle? That way I would't have to install another 12v. I am getting the inverter and transfer switch.
Did you read Charlies post about putting an antenna in the cabinet and out the refigerator vent? I am getting the built in Microwave that would be in cabinet above the frig. Any way to do that and run cable across the doorway to ps cabinet that I would do myself?
I think I am getting there....I would prefer not to put a hole in the camper if I can figure out another way to do it.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #79

So does that mean that I get free Canadian roaming too? Cool! Too bad we don;t have it in the US. I did ask them that when I called why I can't get free directv streaming to my at&t phone/hotspot TV like t-mobile has. After all they are the same company now Directv and At&T.
Trying to figure out your antenna placement for my 17b.... Would I be able to do that? Lookig at the 17b floor plan the frig is on the ps with microwave above frig. Would need to bring cable over doorway to upper cabinet in front ps. Any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #80
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
Did you read Charlies post about putting an antenna in the cabinet and out the refigerator vent? I am getting the built in Microwave that would be in cabinet above the frig. Any way to do that and run cable across the doorway to ps cabinet that I would do myself?
I think I am getting there....I would prefer not to put a hole in the camper if I can figure out another way to do it.
NO! I stated I put if aft of the fridge vent in an overhead cabinet. I wanted easy access to repair/replace the antenna if needed. Pic shows the early setup with the mast above, 12V supply and Wilson cradle all inside the cabinet. Have cleaned it up since then...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12V_1.jpg (161.8 KB, 13 views)

www.RVWidgetWorks.com