Wifi / Cell Boosters - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 AM   #141

Trailer: 21' 2018
I'm considering getting the Shakespeare base, but my non-tech savvy brain has made it nearly impossible to wade through the technical discussions on cell and Wi-Fi boosters. I'm considering sending ETI this base and a BoatAnt as sort of a nondecision sort of decision, as our deadline in Jan 25th, and I still don't know how to decide on booster options. I've seen a few all-in-one set ups that include antenna and booster, but haven't settled on one enough to have it sent to ETI. Does having the BoatAnt installed (on this base) limit my options? The BoatAnt can be used for cell or Wi-Fi depending on which booster we attach, right?

Where should we have ETI install it? (We're getting AC and solar)
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:17 AM   #142

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
You might be putting the cart before the horse by picking an antenna before deciding on a complete system first. Not every antenna will work with every booster. For instance, I believe the BoatAnt comes in 50 and 75 ohm variants, and you have to know which one to get based on the booster you hook it to.

Are you interested in cellular or WiFi boosting? Or both?

This might be a moot point anyway, as ETI told us in August that they were putting the kibosh on custom antenna work. Have you asked them if they will still do them?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
You might be putting the cart before the horse by picking an antenna before deciding on a complete system first. Not every antenna will work with every booster. For instance, I believe the BoatAnt comes in 50 and 75 ohm variants, and you have to know which one to get based on the booster you hook it to.

Are you interested in cellular or WiFi boosting? Or both?

This might be a moot point anyway, as ETI told us in August that they were putting the kibosh on custom antenna work. Have you asked them if they will still do them?
No I've not mentioned it to them. That might make it moot for sure, for now I guess.

My husband works for a two man small business, which means he needs cell service as much as possible, while on the road and parked. Wi-Fi comes second, not an emergency on the road but need it as much as possible when parked.

I've had a hard time focusing our options. Is there something that can work for cell service in the car on the road, then in the camper when parked? Wi-Fi while driving is less important, but should we have something that can work in the car in case, say, we get no signal in the camper but he needs to do something ASAP so we drive somewhere?

There's alot on this subject here, but it's a bit too in depth for my level of understanding, so I'm still pretty lost on what we need.

We have Sprint, and I read that can affect our success as well.
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 AM   #144

Wifi / Cell Boosters

Boosters are definitely not a clear cut, or one size fits all proposition. There’s a lot of info in various threads hereabouts, but it is certainly a lot to digest, particularly if you’re not a technophile.

Others can relate more on cellular options than I, but I’ll put in a plug for Winegard’s ConnecT WiFi system. I got it when it first came out, and it has proved to be a powerful and reliable system. We use it every day, even when at home base, to get full WiFi coverage of our property. If you look back at the pic I posted of the tall antenna on our rig, you can also see the triple antenna of the Winegard at the other edge of the pic.

Subsequent to getting our system, Winegard introduced an additional model that also includes a cellular booster in the same unit! The catch is that you have to purchase a pay as you go data plan from Winegard to make the cellular part work. If that unit works as well as the WiFi-only unit though, it might be a good contender for consideration.

Edited to add: link to Winegard ConnecT - http://www.winegard.com/connect
Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #145

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
I'm considering getting the Shakespeare base, but my non-tech savvy brain has made it nearly impossible to wade through the technical discussions on cell and Wi-Fi boosters. I'm considering sending ETI this base and a BoatAnt as sort of a nondecision sort of decision, as our deadline in Jan 25th, and I still don't know how to decide on booster options. I've seen a few all-in-one set ups that include antenna and booster, but haven't settled on one enough to have it sent to ETI. Does having the BoatAnt installed (on this base) limit my options? The BoatAnt can be used for cell or Wi-Fi depending on which booster we attach, right?

Where should we have ETI install it? (We're getting AC and solar)
The BoatAnt does not cover WiFi frequencies. If you want an external WiFi antenna, there are devices that can be plugged into a USB port on a laptop that will extend the range.

For more range (I just experimented with mine and connected with a Love's public WiFi almost 1/2 mile away') there is a more complex system described in this link.

The version of the BoatAnt I used with my cell amplifier is designed to be flush mounted. Escape did the same with the same antenna on my new 21.

As to location, I prefer one end of the trailer. If you decide to use an all trailer amplifier such as the Wilson WeBoost rather than the cradle type of amplifier, the separation between the outside & inside antennas is important. Each antenna at opposite ends of the trailer make the most sense. The internal antenna should be closest to your primary working area.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #146

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm happy with our Weboost cradle in the truck. Works better than expected for pulling in a usable signal in marginal areas. If I want carry that feature into the trailer I think that I'd just get a second antenna and mount it on the trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:00 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm happy with our Weboost cradle in the truck. Works better than expected for pulling in a usable signal in marginal areas. If I want carry that feature into the trailer I think that I'd just get a second antenna and mount it on the trailer.

Ron
FYI: ETI confirmed today, no antenna installation.

The Weboost cradles are not permanent mount, right?

If you mounted a second antenna on your trailer, is there any equipment you would have to take back and forth between the truck and trailer?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:10 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The BoatAnt does not cover WiFi frequencies. If you want an external WiFi antenna, there are devices that can be plugged into a USB port on a laptop that will extend the range.

For more range (I just experimented with mine and connected with a Love's public WiFi almost 1/2 mile away') there is a more complex system described in this link.

The version of the BoatAnt I used with my cell amplifier is designed to be flush mounted. Escape did the same with the same antenna on my new 21.

As to location, I prefer one end of the trailer. If you decide to use an all trailer amplifier such as the Wilson WeBoost rather than the cradle type of amplifier, the separation between the outside & inside antennas is important. Each antenna at opposite ends of the trailer make the most sense. The internal antenna should be closest to your primary working area.
Seeing now that ETI will not install an antenna, I'm hoping to make it work without holes. I probably will try this or another USB booster, it pretty much can't hurt. Usable Wi-Fi from half a mile away with the complex set-up sounds pretty conducive to business while camping though!

I guess cell should be our priority to get functioning first, based on the customer service aspect of the business. I'm curious to hear about Ron's theoretical truck to trailer cell boosting, as well as anyone else's experience with cell boosting in tow vehicle and trailer.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:43 AM   #149

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
Seeing now that ETI will not install an antenna, I'm hoping to make it work without holes. I probably will try this or another USB booster, it pretty much can't hurt. Usable Wi-Fi from half a mile away with the complex set-up sounds pretty conducive to business while camping though!

I guess cell should be our priority to get functioning first, based on the customer service aspect of the business. I'm curious to hear about Ron's theoretical truck to trailer cell boosting, as well as anyone else's experience with cell boosting in tow vehicle and trailer.
Does the 21 still have the roof mounted fridge vent? If so, that's an easy way to get out to roof for an antenna without drilling any holes. Or, as works well for me and others, a bracket on the rear bumper with an extendable pole. That allows for the possibility of raising the antenna well above the roof line. Mine JefaTech XR can be 3' higher and I get fantastic reception with it. One day I was in a parking lot with a slight rise and I amused myself by picking up wi-fi from businesses literally as far as I could see.

The Weboost cradle has a 12 volt plug and an antenna cable that is detachable. In my case I wouldn't take the cable from the truck because of the tortured path it follows. But taking the cradle inside the trailer and connecting to a trailer antenna is certainly doable.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #150

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
5G is around the corner and I remember my Wilson amp which was 3G was a $400 brick when 4G phone hit. I haven’t looked at these in awhile, but those of you that have them will they handle 5G or should one wait a bit?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #151

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
5G is around the corner and I remember my Wilson amp which was 3G was a $400 brick when 4G phone hit. I haven’t looked at these in awhile, but those of you that have them will they handle 5G or should one wait a bit?
If you talk to Wilson they will tell you to take good care of that amp Greg as they haven't made 3 watt boosters for some time now as per FCC rules. All of their amps are 1-1.5 watt now; the 4G RV is not 3 Watt as has been previously stated here.

With newer phones one can turn off HD calling and when I tested it I had 3 bars of 4G LTE then with HD turned off on my Galaxy 8 I had 5 bars of 3G with the amp on. Also, you can download the app SignalCheck Lite and open it during a call to see call strength.

For us, upgrading to a 4G amp might be nice sometimes for data, however given the fact we are so much of the time in more remote areas where there is only 1X or 3G signal it wouldn't do us as much good as using our older 3 watt 3G amp.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #152

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Interesting Ross, I will have to experiment some with the old amp. Unfortunately, I don't really need voice when I'm out, but mostly need data and didn't see the old 3G booster helping in that regard.
I'll give Wilson a call and see if there is any life left in the ol setup.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #153

I'm submitting our build sheet tomorrow. As ETI will no longer install an antenna, we'll make a go of getting good Wi-Fi and cell via portable means.

Should I install a 12v outlet in the cabinet above the dinette as a power source in the event our portable methods don't work, or will we likely find an adequate solution without an installed antenna? (We are currently installing one extra 12v/USB outlet under the table.)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #154

Some more thoughts regarding cellular and WiFi: Regarding power, some units run on 12V but some run on 120V. Knowing this and wanting to keep our options open, we had ETI install the “cable ready” option, primarily for the 120V outlet that comes with it on the face of an upper rear cabinet. We had ETI also install a 12V/USB outlet in this location. Our final configuration for WiFi (Winegard ConnecT system, which we recommend) is installed on a wall inside that cabinet, and taps into the 120V supply (which unfortunately requires the converter when not hooked up). Just some food for thought.

Along these lines, have you considered having ETI place any 12V drops in any cabinets? These are commonly used when people add cabinet interior lights, but are useful for other things, eg placing additional outlets later. We had drops put into every cabinet and enclosed space. Lights under the bed storage space are particularly handy.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #155

Quote:
Some more thoughts regarding cellular and WiFi: Regarding power, some units run on 12V but some run on 120V. Knowing this and wanting to keep our options open, we had ETI install the “cable ready” option, primarily for the 120V outlet that comes with it on the face of an upper rear cabinet. We had ETI also install a 12V/USB outlet in this location. Our final configuration for WiFi (Winegard ConnecT system, which we recommend) is installed on a wall inside that cabinet, and taps into the 120V supply (which unfortunately requires the converter when not hooked up). Just some food for thought.

Along these lines, have you considered having ETI place any 12V drops in any cabinets? These are commonly used when people add cabinet interior lights, but are useful for other things, eg placing additional outlets later. We had drops put into every cabinet and enclosed space. Lights under the bed storage space are particularly handy.
Good to know that we may need either 12v or 120v. ETI quoted $50 today for a 12v drop, to which I say, isn't that the same price as getting the outlet?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 PM   #156

Yes! They’ve upped the prices on drops :-(
Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 PM   #157

Quote:
Yes! They’ve upped the prices on drops :-(
We'll have to forego the outlets for lights. I'll get some LED battery lights if I need.

Ugh, wish I didn't have to go overkill to be prepared for the "IF" situation of needing to install an antenna.

For the option mentioned where you use a retractable pole from the bumper, where would you need your power source for that setup? We have the standard dinette.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #158

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
After 3.5 years I finally put lights in the upper cabinets with switches that opening the doors activate on then off. Huge difference And although I did not need 12V drops there it would have been easier, especially in the upper surrounding the bed. For those in the rear and over kitchen counter there are surface mounted lights underneath one can tap into.

Our booster amp is in the passenger side dinette bench and the antenna wire exits the trailer through the floor.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
After 3.5 years I finally put lights in the upper cabinets with switches that opening the doors activate on then off. Huge difference And although I did not need 12V drops there it would have been easier, especially in the upper surrounding the bed. For those in the rear and over kitchen counter there are surface mounted lights underneath one can tap into.

Our booster amp is in the passenger side dinette bench and the antenna wire exits the trailer through the floor.
You have a bumper mounted antenna? Does yours use 12v or 120v? Did you tie in to a bench seat outlet, or did you have one installed inside?

I know your light set up is ideal, but are LED stick on lights a really undesirable option, or will they get the job done? I don't want to throw $$ into batteries if 12v outlets and wired lights are that much better, and get cheaper in comparison as you buy more batteries. I also don't want to put a 12v outlet in each cabinet though!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #160

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
ETI will not install 12v outlets in the cabinets. They will however run 12v drops there.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote