Wifi / Cell Boosters - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've been using the WirEng antenna in the link above for the last year & 1/2 tied to an older Wilson Sleek. The antenna works as well or better than the Wilson Short Trucker Antenna I used before. That is a guess since it is almost impossible to compare them unless you have both at the same time.

While the new 2 antenna boosters (one outside antenna and one it the trailer) may work better, I switched from a Wilson Vehicle Boost Kit (it used an inside "candy bar" antenna & a Wilson Short Trucker Antenna outside, but is no longer available) to the Sleek & while it was nice having the ability to boost multiple phones / jetpacks at the same time with the Vehicle Boost Kit, I get far more gain from the Sleek with a phone or jetpack in the cradle. To get any gain from the Vehicle Boost Kit system I had to be within 3' or so to the inside antenna.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:51 AM   #62

Trailer: 2020 21C
So what antenna did you buy? Or do you just use the mag-mount one that came with the unit? Is better to just get the antenna mounted permanently to camper or put up when needed?
Thanks for all the replies to everyone... so now
the 4G-S or the 4G-M or the 4G-X OR RV 4-G directional antenna
have I left any out?
How do you use the 4G-S which is single for your laptop? can you use as a hot spot from cell phone? Otherwise I would have no booster for the laptop correct?
All the others would boost signal for phone and wifi? Not have to use phone as hot spot? I do not want to have 2 phone plans to pay so no jet pack.
I have AT&T and was thinking I might try T-Mobile to the free streaming and drop AT&T. Anybody use T-Mobile? Can you get reception?
I am trying not to permanently install a antenna (put hole in camper).
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
So what antenna did you buy? Or do you just use the mag-mount one that came with the unit? Is better to just get the antenna mounted permanently to camper or put up when needed?
Thanks for all the replies to everyone... so now
the 4G-S or the 4G-M or the 4G-X OR RV 4-G directional antenna
have I left any out?
How do you use the 4G-S which is single for your laptop? can you use as a hot spot from cell phone? Otherwise I would have no booster for the laptop correct?
All the others would boost signal for phone and wifi? Not have to use phone as hot spot? I do not want to have 2 phone plans to pay so no jet pack.
I have AT&T and was thinking I might try T-Mobile to the free streaming and drop AT&T. Anybody use T-Mobile? Can you get reception?
I am trying not to permanently install a antenna (put hole in camper).
I prefer a permanently mounted antenna since i use it every day, sometimes while driving (I use WiFi to connect my AT&T iPhone to a Verizon jetpack for data when I'm driving in a non AT&T area). The real reason I switched to the WirEng antenna was that it didn't need a ground plane, and was smooth enough that I could leave it on the trailer when I covered it for the winter.

If you are going to use the magnetic antenna supplied with most of the WeBoost products, you will need to provide a ground plane. The metal roof of your tow vehicle works fine, however a fiberglass trailer does not. You will need to add a 6" - 8" disk which should be magnetic so it will hold the antenna.

Either a phone serving as a hotspot or a jetpack must be placed in the 4G-S cradle in order to connect it to a laptop (or any other WiFi device). While you can place a phone in the cradle and use a bluetooth earpiece to operate it as a phone, or put it on speaker, it is not as convenient as a dual antenna system such as the WeBoost 4G-M. Again, I got more gain from the cradle based system than the dual antenna system, but they may have improved this since the 2010 system I had.

You do need to maintain proper distances between the exterior & interior antenna, something that may be difficult in a small fiberglass trailer. The newer systems detect feedback between the two antennas and shut down or turn down the gain to prevent problems, however you may find positioning the two antennas a bit tricky.

All of the cell phone boosters do not boost WiFi - that is provided by either a phone serving as a hotspot or a jetpack. There are WiFi boosters, some that are plugged into the USB port on a laptop, and others that are stand alone, picking up the campground WiFi & performing as a router, providing your own WiFi network. WiFi Ranger, for example, provides a number of WiFi boosting & distribution products.

I travel with both AT&T & Verizon, and while AT&T has improved, I still have better coverage away from major roads & cities with Verizon. I have no experience with T-Mobile, but have been told that the provide poor coverage outside the major roads & cities.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #64

I guess I am really confused sorta.... Okay I will have to use my cell phone as a hot spot to use my laptop. I don't have much data so that is not good. I will really have to limit myself. I think I have 4 gbs. I don't use it now at home, use my wifi. I'm going to be learning alot..... will have to limit my use. Guess I better stay with At&t for now. I had Verizon up until 2 yrs ago when our signal got really bad.
So getting a better system with separate antenna and bar inside will just make it more confusing? Can't get antennas too close and it is close in the camper.
How close is the cradle to your laptop in the camper when you are using it? I know you have an external attached antenna. Escape is charging $100 to install antenna and another $100 to hook up wifi booster. Or just go with mag mount with a metal plate take down when moving. Would add a another input tv cable/ready with 120v outlet on front ds or ps of camper for external antenna. or does it need to be 12volt? I could always add a pole mount antenna if better antenna needed. Is the cable from the mag mount antenna coaxial so that I can hook into the cable ready port?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #65

Quote:
I guess I am really confused sorta.... Okay I will have to use my cell phone as a hot spot to use my laptop. I don't have much data so that is not good. I will really have to limit myself. I think I have 4 gbs. I don't use it now at home, use my wifi. I'm going to be learning alot..... will have to limit my use. Guess I better stay with At&t for now. I had Verizon up until 2 yrs ago when our signal got really bad.
So getting a better system with separate antenna and bar inside will just make it more confusing? Can't get antennas too close and it is close in the camper.
How close is the cradle to your laptop in the camper when you are using it? I know you have an external attached antenna. Escape is charging $100 to install antenna and another $100 to hook up wifi booster. Or just go with mag mount with a metal plate take down when moving. Would add a another input tv cable/ready with 120v outlet on front ds or ps of camper for external antenna. or does it need to be 12volt? I could always add a pole mount antenna if better antenna needed. Is the cable from the mag mount antenna coaxial so that I can hook into the cable ready port?
Check with AT&T for tethering between your phone & laptop. The last time I checked with them there was an additional charge of $20.00 per month to tether. That was a few years ago, so things may have changed. It might make sense to look into their multi device plans since there have been many changes over the last couple of years. I'm still working with unlimited data on my iPhone, and any changes would make that go away.

Verizon does not charge to tether my iPad to my laptop.

The connection between the cradle and the laptop is provided by the cell device's WiFi, and depends on how strong it is. Typically, anywhere in the trailer will probably work; in my case I can connect to my jetpack from the tow vehicle.

While the antenna does not require power, most cell phones, jetpacks, & cell phone amplifiers can be powered from 120V AC or 12V DC connections - some come with both power supplies/cables, some with 12V only, and some with 120V only. Most have a USB input for power. If you are purchasing your own 12V to USB cable or 120V USB adapter, be sure to check the power requirements of the device - some require higher amperage ratings than the typical USB cable.

While the cell antenna is coaxial cable, it is not compatible with TV coax. Different connectors & different impedance. Escape will (for a $) install a port or doorway into the trailer that can be used to feed the antenna coax to the interior amplifier.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I tether my iPhone ( Telus ) to my MacBook Air using Bluetooth.
What the heck is AT&T doing to earn that $20?
Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I tether my iPhone ( Telus ) to my MacBook Air using Bluetooth.
What the heck is AT&T doing to earn that $20?
Trying to get Jon to switch plans and give up his unlimited data.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I used up my 400 MB data plan up in Osoyoos, and incurred Nationwide Data charges. Cost me $2.05 for 105 MB.
Son-in-law works IT for Telus and set up the plan I have. Can't get it anymore.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #69
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Check with AT&T for tethering between your phone & laptop. The last time I checked with them there was an additional charge of $20.00 per month to tether. That was a few years ago, so things may have changed. It might make sense to look into their multi device plans since there have been many changes over the last couple of years. I'm still working with unlimited data on my iPhone, and any changes would make that go away.
Tethering involves another device charge ($20) with ATT; this would be the case if you ran a MIFI device in your cradle. We just use our iPhones in the cradle as a personal hotspot for no extra charge.

I dumped the ATT unlimited data plan for a shared mobile plan as the cost wasn't bad and the bandwidth isn't throttled like the unlimited plan. No problem streaming Netflix movies.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #70

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Tethering involves another device charge ($20) with ATT; this would be the case if you ran a MIFI device in your cradle. We just use our iPhones in the cradle as a personal hotspot for no extra charge.
The MiFi (or similar) is actually a separate device, so it is another subscriber device on the network and I would expect any carrier to charge for it, as Telus does for mine. The phone is already on the network, so using it with a tethered (or connected by Bluetooth) laptop is not an extra device on the mobile network, so I don't see a justification for an extra charge. Both of my phones are used as mobile hotspots (like the MiFi), and with Telus (as with ATT) that use doesn't change the charge; I don't see why tethering would.

In the end it doesn't matter what makes sense: you buy the service that is the best deal for you.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The MiFi (or similar) is actually a separate device, so it is another subscriber device on the network and I would expect any carrier to charge for it, as Telus does for mine. The phone is already on the network, so using it with a tethered (or connected by Bluetooth) laptop is not an extra device on the mobile network, so I don't see a justification for an extra charge. Both of my phones are used as mobile hotspots (like the MiFi), and with Telus (as with ATT) that use doesn't change the charge; I don't see why tethering would.

In the end it doesn't matter what makes sense: you buy the service that is the best deal for you.
While I agree that adding a laptop via tethering shouldn't require an additional fee (as does Verizon), I suspect the reason AT&T does (or did) it is because most users do not use all of their purchased data allotment each month, particularly on a phone. Adding a computer or tablet will increase the amount of data used. While this may cause a few users to purchase more date, most will just use more of their current allotment, resulting in no additional income for AT&T but additional data usage.

I could be completely off base, but that's the way I figure it.

AT&T did raise the cost for my unlimited data by $5.00 this year, but $40.00 per month is still a good deal even if I can't tether the phone. If I was willing to "jailbreak" my phone I could add software that would allow tethering without AT&T's permission, but so far I'm following the rules.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #72

I think the Wilson weBoost Drive 4G-S Cell Phone Booster Kit - 470107 will work like Jon has. I can use it in the car and in the camper and not worry about the two antennas being too close to each other as it only has one! I Don't really want to put a hole in the camper but I will think about it more. Does it come with 12 volt and 120 volt adapter? Where is the best place to put it? Up in the front by small table is where I will use laptop. Do I need to add anything? Outlet etc?
I talked to AT&T and he said to up my plan to 5gb, I have 2gb now that rolls over to 4 if I don't use it up each month. I can use it as a hot spot for my laptop and also use my phone at the same time. (Voice and data both work with AT&T)
If I have an antenna installed I would have to do it now to have a wire run up to the dinette from the back. Does everyone have an antenna permenently installed up front?
Would I keep the cradle when using in camper on the center open shelf? or where?
Thanks again everyone... I think we're getting there. This has been very confusing but I think this is probably the best option. Jon you are a fabulous source of info and since you tried this I know it will work.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #73
Commercial Member

In my 21 I mounted it aft of the fridge roof vent so that the bottom of the antenna is in an overhead cabinet. That way the fridge vent cover gives it a little protection against tree branches, but more importantly it's simple to replace the antenna if it gets broken. The ground plane spokes could get snagged fairly easily.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #74

If I understand you its in the cabinet above the refrigerator. I have a microwave in that cabinet so I wouldn't have access. Good idea. I really have never seen the camper, only photos. Unless you can get to it from the outside, remove vent cover? Do you have the cradle booster also? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #75

Charlie, How much data do you have with AT&T that allows you to stream Netflix? I have the share plan also but only 2 gb now.... will have to up it when I go pick up camper.
About the overhead cabinet and the frig vent cap.... I'm getting the 17b so my frig is on the door side. How would I get the wires over the door even if I could figure out to get antenna in cabinet above the frig. Remember I can only go by floor plan, haven't seen it.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #76

The Wilson weBoost Drive 4G-S Cell Phone Booster Kit comes with a short magnetic antenna & a 12V power supply (it is a USB connection on the WeBoost & a 12V to USB adapter & cable). I believe it is a 2 amp adapter. If you want 120V, be sure the USB adapter you purchase is rated for at least 2 amps.

The short, magnetic antenna has no gain. You can increase the gain by going to a better antenna, however that would likely require permanently mounting it. If you use the short antenna, you will need to provide a ground plane when used with the trailer. Again, a 6" - 8" metal disk will do the trick.

In my 17, I have the WirEng antenna mounted on the upper driver's side of the trailer just below the roofline & behind the AC. The antenna wiring runs behind the shower/bathroom & terminates in the front driver's side upper cabinet. Escape added a 12V receptacle in the panel just forward of the cabinet door; I use a 12V 3 way splitter to provide power for both the Sleek & the Jetpack, as well as a WiFi Ranger WiFi router. The Sleek sits inside the cabinet. While I suspect the WeBoost's WiFi signal will cover the entire trailer from anywhere, by placing it towards the front of the trailer there is a better chance that the WiFi signal will reach the tow vehicle. I have no problem picking it up in mine.

I keep a spare antenna & move the Sleek to my tow vehicle if I'm camping in an area that does not have cell coverage so I don't have to haul the trailer to the nearest coverage area. (I post a daily web page as often as possible, so connectivity is important to me).

As to data usage, I tend to use my entire allotment of 20GB per month on the jetpack, and about 10 - 12GB per month on the unlimited AT&T (when I have coverage). I don't stream video, however I do use Pandora, internet radio, and lots of photo intensive web sites (including my own), and, since I'm totally dependent on the jetpack for data services (no WiFi available in my winter camping area) system updates as well as app updates consume quite a bit of data. If you don't stream NetFlix or other TV/Video services, 5GB per month will probably be plenty of capacity. With streaming, it would be easy to go over that amount.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #77
Commercial Member

Quote:
Charlie, How much data do you have with AT&T that allows you to stream Netflix? I have the share plan also but only 2 gb now.... will have to up it when I go pick up camper.
I had the 2GB plan, but went up the next level (4?) when we started traveling more. We rarely use WIFI on the road to stream movies, but at the Osoyoos rally we were down on the lake front where there was no tv reception - and ATT had just added a free Canadian Roaming plan to my phone!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #78

Thanks Jon for your layout info... very helpful. If I have an antenna installed like you did would you get the current one you have now?
I think that there is a 12 volt receptacle in the short cabinet on the drivers side. Would I be able to use that for the Sleek if I had Escape install the antenna and run the cable thru the bathroom the cabinet on ds and across the front to the next cabinet on ps. Would the Sleek cable reach the 12v receptacle? That way I would't have to install another 12v. I am getting the inverter and transfer switch.
Did you read Charlies post about putting an antenna in the cabinet and out the refigerator vent? I am getting the built in Microwave that would be in cabinet above the frig. Any way to do that and run cable across the doorway to ps cabinet that I would do myself?
I think I am getting there....I would prefer not to put a hole in the camper if I can figure out another way to do it.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #79

So does that mean that I get free Canadian roaming too? Cool! Too bad we don;t have it in the US. I did ask them that when I called why I can't get free directv streaming to my at&t phone/hotspot TV like t-mobile has. After all they are the same company now Directv and At&T.
Trying to figure out your antenna placement for my 17b.... Would I be able to do that? Lookig at the 17b floor plan the frig is on the ps with microwave above frig. Would need to bring cable over doorway to upper cabinet in front ps. Any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #80
Commercial Member

Quote:
Did you read Charlies post about putting an antenna in the cabinet and out the refigerator vent? I am getting the built in Microwave that would be in cabinet above the frig. Any way to do that and run cable across the doorway to ps cabinet that I would do myself?
I think I am getting there....I would prefer not to put a hole in the camper if I can figure out another way to do it.
NO! I stated I put if aft of the fridge vent in an overhead cabinet. I wanted easy access to repair/replace the antenna if needed. Pic shows the early setup with the mast above, 12V supply and Wilson cradle all inside the cabinet. Have cleaned it up since then...
Attached Thumbnails
12V_1.jpg  

www.RVWidgetWorks.com