Wild ride - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19'
Wild ride

Coming back from the Oregon coast decided to explore southern Oregon. Left Bullard beach sp & drove to Hart Mt refuge. Wow, what a road as well as wondrous scenery. Camped at hot springs which settled my nerves after miles of wash board road. Then headed to French Glenn & Page springs. Wowza! More bumpy slow miles. Once ensconced in this beautiful Cg found things amiss. Fridge door difficult to open & screen door seems to catch on frame now. Tighten as many screws as I could find. May have to live with this. Warning, our escapes do not like 100’s of miles of washboardy roads! On a happier note, was able to winterize easily w winterizing t valve. Now concerned about that city water inlet everyone’s chatting about. Sorry for the ramble. Julie
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Warning, our escapes do not like 100’s of miles of washboardy roads! Julie
That's not been my experience. I've done a lot of washboard in Alaska, Baja and across the U.S. and Canada. The only things that have loosened up on my trailer have been some cabinet door hinge screws and the microwave bracket screws. In that case, I mean, really, holding the microwave by surface mounting the front and leaving the entire weight cantilevered into the opening. A spacer at the rear improved that situation.

But the bottom line is that small items that may loosen are no biggie when you consider the major factor is that the shell is "one piece" and can take a huge amount of washboard and still not develop leaks etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How fast do you drive wash board if you want the rig to survive.

We have pot holes, not wash board.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 19'
I drove very slow no more than 20 mph
Mucram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Glad to hear I'm not the one actually using there trailer and tightening a few screws from time to time . My fridge door has fallen off twice .. so far ....
Like they say enjoy the ride ... it's one way .
Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
Our microwave did the same thing. I'll cut a couple pieces of foam and wedge it to prevent it from happening again. Thanks for the idea. I had put wood glue in the screw holes to see if that would help.

It may never happen but to prevent the fridge door from opening I take a small piece of low residue duct tape and use it to hold the door closed.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

Depends.
I drive as fast as necessary to smooth out the ride, but not so fast that the tow and trailer start sliding sideways in the corners.
It's kinda like speed bumps. I don't slow down for most of them either.
Pot holes are an entirely different animal.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

On the worst 20 mile section of Mex 5 it takes me 1 1/2 hours.
But it's the potholes that slow me down. As Glen says, on washboard speed is mostly determined by finding the sweet spot. Going uphill on the Moki Dugway it's almost all washboard and you definitely have to make sure the trailer doesn't start drifting sideways on the hairpins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Our microwave did the same thing. I'll cut a couple pieces of foam and wedge it to prevent it from happening again. Thanks for the idea. I had put wood glue in the screw holes to see if that would help.

The problem on ours was that the "floor" of the microwave compartment wasn't square to the face. The back of the microwave may have sat on the floor before the face screws were tightened but as they tightened up pulling the brackets into position it lifted the rear of the microwave. That left the microwave cantilevered into the opening. A lot of strain on the face mounted screws even from small bounces.

Ron
Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You would not want to go through our area because there are big dips in the road all over town. Also common in New Mexico and don't know where else. Not something we see up north. Guess it is for flash floods but don't know. All of a sudden, Whoa!! You can really hit.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
You would not want to go through our area because there are big dips in the road all over town. Also common in New Mexico and don't know where else. Not something we see up north. Guess it is for flash floods but don't know. All of a sudden, Whoa!! You can really hit.
Very common in Baja. It saves installing a culvert or a bridge. The road dips down into a wash and back up again. Saves money and heck, most of the time there's no water in it anyway. Another good reason not to travel at night.

Ron
Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
We take a similar approach to washboard as others have noted. Drove over 50 kms of gravel roads over the summer - fast enough to smooth out the washboard but slow enough to stop for the potholes and maintain control in the loose gravel. The only problem we have had is a cracked black water dump valve from some flying rock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If it ain't paved, it ain't be used.....!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
It may never happen but to prevent the fridge door from opening I take a small piece of low residue duct tape and use it to hold the door closed.
Hey, I went high tech and cat-themed for my cabinet door and 2 flip-up counters.

I've not done the frig, but that's on my list of stuff to do.

Now, isn't this classier than duct tape?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00195.jpg   DSC00196.jpg   DSC00197.jpg   DSC00198.jpg   DSC00201.jpg  

DSC00199.jpg   DSC00200.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #14

I have seen a flip up table flip up when not being used or is this part of the cat glamping?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm with you. If I can avoid those kinds of "torture tests" for my trailer, I'm going to pick another road, when available.

I understand that camping is an adventure and I grew up on gravel roads while learning to drive a manual transmission: 3-on-the-tree. However, as much fun as it was learning to drift in those turns, I like may trailer waaaaay too much to subject it to the pounding that some of the cars I was allowed to drive were put through.

Not condemning anyone else's choice of roads or sense of adventure, but I'm just sayin' that I worked hard to be able to afford an Escape and I won't be bouncing it around if I can avoid it. If unavoidable, y'all will think I'm towing with a farmer's combine because I'll be coasting along between 5-10 mph and making everyone late.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That would eliminate 90% of our trailer camping. One of the reasons I like Escape, and other moulded FG trailers, is that they can easily handle this type road.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That would eliminate 90% of our trailer camping. One of the reasons I like Escape, and other moulded FG trailers, is that they can easily handle this type road.
Jim,

I have a county map that I've used to search for "gravel" roads.

I've found ONE road that was about a mile of unpaved road and another that was about 1/4 mile that seemed more like a driveway. I was able to drive into the National Forest and find several Forest Service Roads that would be considered "two track" and most were unimproved without any surface improvements or limited gravel patches.

My search was limited to the immediate county but I abandoned my search since it seem incredibly unproductive. I can only assume that the surrounding counties are in a similar condition. You'd have to wander far and wide in Kentucky to find an old dirt road these days.

I figure these conditions vary widely, but that's what makes it an adventure. If'n I find gravel, I'll jus' slow down and carry on.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #18

Perhaps in Canada things are different but in Pennsylvania it is hard to find unpaved paths and if you did there certainly no campsites located there. Seems like it is most elsewhere, old native american paths that become trails then become roads then become interstates.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #19

One thing that can make a difference is how loaded your trailer is. Our 19 lightly loaded weighs around 3700 Lbs with all tanks empty with the hitch taking about 480 off of that so the axle weight is around 3220. We have 2 3500 Lb axles on ours instead of the 2500 Lb specified on the spec sheet. So we have a little bit of extra suspension and have noticed if you put something on the bed and hit a bump it gets launched.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Perhaps in Canada things are different but in Pennsylvania it is hard to find unpaved paths and if you did there certainly no campsites located there. Seems like it is most elsewhere, old native american paths that become trails then become roads then become interstates.
There are quite a few gravel roads around my area and some of them can be very interesting to travel on. And a few you wonder if you really belong there.