Wilson 460108 Mobile - NOT a Sleek - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Wilson 460108 Mobile - NOT a Sleek

Looking at using the Wilson 460108 (Mobile 4G) as a head end to my cell hookup with their RV/Trucker antenna as the phone does NOT have to be in a cradle - published 6 ft range in a car, probably more in a fiberglass box.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electro...=wilson+460108

At $350 it's twice as spendy as a Sleek cradle, but would allow a lot more flexibility, even use outside our new 21 perhaps.

Anyone using this?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 2010 D19
Technomadia is testing one now. Certification is limited to the antenna that comes with it and range is much less than the six foot quoted.
phxkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxkayaker View Post
... range is much less than the six foot quoted.
That's disappointing. I would want this sort of device to provide coverage for at least the tug and trailer area, not just the front seat of the vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Commercial Member

I'll have to check their test methodology; Wilson advertises it as usable when mounted in the trunk of a vehicle (I assume made of metal) so within a fiberglass environment the range should be much better.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 2010 D19
Keep in mind that Technomadia's interest (and mine) is about data speeds. It might be usable at 6' for voice but data speeds apparently decrease significantly with distance.

John
phxkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Wilson the best IMHO. Have been using a dual-band 3-Watt booster for 10 years w/mag-mount antenna. When needed my phone is in the car; can use Bluetooth for voice and wifi signal goes into trailer for tablet/laptop. Whatever model one chooses, just be sure it is a dual-band, because although Verizon primarily and AT&T use 850 mghz, AT&T in many places (like where U.S Cellular exists) has to use 1900 mghz. Need both.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxkayaker View Post
Keep in mind that Technomadia's interest (and mine) is about data speeds. It might be usable at 6' for voice but data speeds apparently decrease significantly with distance.

John
We don't stream video; not a problem with slower data rates. Just need to not have to capture the phone in a wired cradle.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'll have to check their test methodology; Wilson advertises it as usable when mounted in the trunk of a vehicle (I assume made of metal) so within a fiberglass environment the range should be much better.
That's a good point - the test scenario is very relevant - but even in a car with an all-steel body there is typically no steel panel between the trunk and passenger compartment - the separation of the trunk may be less significant to the radio transmission than one might guess.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, you could just go camping.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Good one gbaglo!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Yeah, but some of us are using it like a 2nd home. Just checked into a nice hotel in Wenatchee after 21 days for a break....my phone's wifi works way better than theirs!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
True, but it will be a 3-4 month trip so staying connected would be nice.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
But, you don't have to be connected all the time, do you?
Coverage can't be so bad that you have to go to these lengths?
Found cell coverage at Kane Lakes, 35 minutes outside of Merritt, BC, which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I was using a USB stick on the company Mac here, but was sending to the Escape Forum in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
me and mac web.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 05:04 AM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Beautifully put! When I had to backpack into tenting sites I quickly found out about "less is more" if your intention is to truly enjoy the experience

Now even with two axles under my comfortable bed I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. The more days I camp the more I load, tow, share limited space, and then unload stuff that I don't need or even use. The Tassimo and Toaster have been returned to their rightful locations in my home. I'm eyeing the TV and Bluray player to return home permanently now, and at some point I might have to decide between the Mac Book Air, iPad or Surface to go camping

I don't know what I'm going to do with all the extra space, it's like getting a new trailer, maybe I really don't need that beautifully proportioned 21 after all
Old 06-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Novel idea.

As much as my life around home is totally connected, and full of useful electronic gadgetry, I love getting away from it all for a while when camping. The ultimate is a backcountry canoe trip, where in most cases you can't take or use a phone, even if you wanted too. I guess there is satellite phones, but.........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #16

Taking a satellite phone to check up on stock prices or Facebook chatter seems contrary to the point of getting away, but having one in case of emergency could be rational. I'm not going to judge anyone else's use of technology while camping.

When I was in the Northwest Territories, I was talking to a local resident about phones. She would go out to the family's remote cabin by herself and take a satellite phone. She called in briefly once a day and if her family didn't hear from her they were to go out to make sure she was okay. The phone made the solo trip viable, and so it actually supported getting away. I think that technology should enable people to do what they want or need to do, not control what they do.

As users of recreational vehicles which are themselves rolling piles of technology to do what we could do with a tent and backpack, I don't think any of us are in a position to judge how much technology is appropriate for others.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Novel idea.

As much as my life around home is totally connected, and full of useful electronic gadgetry, I love getting away from it all for a while when camping. The ultimate is a backcountry canoe trip, where in most cases you can't take or use a phone, even if you wanted too. I guess there is satellite phones, but.........
Exactly Dave.. more and more I'm enjoying camping as the opposite of home.. as little as possible AND the kitchen sink lots of folks are attempting to substitute technology as insurance for poor/no planning.. all well and good except when things really go wrong.. Dad used to repeatedly tell me to not tip the canoe.. good advice.. not sure sat phones survive dunking.. or even float
Old 06-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Taking a satellite phone to check up on stock prices or Facebook chatter seems contrary to the point of getting away, but having one in case of emergency could be rational.

When I was in the Northwest Territories, I was talking to a local resident about phones. She would go out to the family's remote cabin by herself and take a satellite phone. She called in briefly once a day and if her family didn't hear from her they were to go out to make sure she was okay.
Exactly my point - to check in with family from the middle of nowhere requires the right working equipment. Same for emergency assistance. I prefer to have the resources in place should I need them.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com