Wind fairing - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
Wind fairing

I am a little disappointed with the 15mpg I get while towing our 17B at 60mph with the RAV4. Anyone know of any mods to install a fairing on an Escape trailer? The effectivness on other types of trailers appears to be variable.

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Slow down? Bet mpg goes up if you tow closer to 55mph. But, I don't think 15mpg is all that bad...

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Towed a 17b with a RAV4 and that was more or less the mpg's - towed lots of miles- sometimes got a bit less than that. Seems the best thing was to go under 60mph. Gas milage wasn't a lot better than towing our 5TA with our Silverado- the gain is when you're not towing.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I am a little disappointed with the 15mpg I get while towing our 17B at 60mph with the RAV4. Anyone know of any mods to install a fairing on an Escape trailer? The effectivness on other types of trailers appears to be variable.
I have towed my 17B loaded at 3010 lbs (well, a bit more this trip) 58,000 miles with an average 15MPG towing at 57 - 60MPH, mostly on secondary roads, so I don't know how much more you can expect. On this trip with an additional 250 lbs, I'm averaging 14.2 MPG at 1000 miles...
Old 06-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
In US mpg, that is not bad at all, on average I get a lot less with my Pilot towing my Escape. So many things factor into the mileage, and how it varies, like wind, hills, and speed. I really only checked out my mileage closely with the Pilot on the first 2 week trip I did, and at every fill up, the mileage varied a lot, again dependant upon towing conditions.

Keeping track of the mileage going to and back from the last Escape Rally, I found my F-350 diesel did much better than my Pilot ever did. But, where the smaller SUV shines, is all the driving done when not towing, and when on an extended trip, where you set up camp for many days at a time, the overall mileage of the SUV will be way better, plus you have a much better vehicle to run about in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
I doubt a fairing on the trailer would help your mileage. The trailer's frontal area and drag coefficient aren't reduced by such an arrangement. If you look at a Semi Truck with fairings, they place one on the cab of the truck, which reduces the frontal area of the trailer by directing air over it instead of it hitting the front. They also use tail fairings to reduce the turbulence and drag behind the trailer.

Your RAV4 is lower than the trailer front, and air will still hit the blunt face of the trailer with a fairing on the trailer. There might be a way to place a fairing on the tow vehicle instead, which would direct air over the trailer, but honestly, I wouldn't mess with it. The cost vs benefit doesn't make sense to me.

Slow down, and take your time. With a smallish tow vehicle like the RAV4, the mileage can be increased by just going another 5 mph slower.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
I have a wind fairing I install on top of my frontier. I use in the spring and summer. It really does not do much for milage but it really keeps the bugs off the front of the trailer. It is a must have for love bug season in Fl.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I have a wind fairing I install on top of my frontier. I use in the spring and summer. It really does not do much for milage but it really keeps the bugs off the front of the trailer. It is a must have for love bug season in Fl.
Eddie

Makes sense if used for that purpose. If the OP wants to increase mileage, it probably won't do anything for that.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
On my recent race across USA and back I noticed my mileage increase while staying at 62 mph and using non-ethanol gas which means premium gas. Increase was 14+ mpg average over 7,000 + miles with full pickup bed and full trailer.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
bryan4, I suspect you are correct.

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote