Window Weatherstripping Coming Off - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19' Escape Trailer
Window Weatherstripping Coming Off

Has anyone had a problem with the window weatherstripping coming off the top corners of the awning windows?

On 5/31/18 I took delivery of a 2016 19 ft Escape trailer that was ETI's showroom model. Because of that, I assume that it spent most of its life indoors.

The weatherstripping is coming off the top corners of the rear windows, the emergency escape window by the bed (driver's side), and the driver's side window at the table. I don't know if they had those windows open or closed while on the showroom, or if that would have made any difference.

I contacted ETI about it a couple of days ago and am still waiting for a reply.
Attached Thumbnails
007.JPG  
Katmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmobile View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the window weatherstripping coming off the top corners of the awning windows?

On 5/31/18 I took delivery of a 2016 19 ft Escape trailer that was ETI's showroom model. Because of that, I assume that it spent most of its life indoors.

The weatherstripping is coming off the top corners of the rear windows, the emergency escape window by the bed (driver's side), and the driver's side window at the table. I don't know if they had those windows open or closed while on the showroom, or if that would have made any difference.

We had a little bit of the foam piece on the passenger side window by the bed loose last June or July. I pulled it a little more and used black 3m weatherstrip adhesive to put it back in place.

I just went out and pulled all the screens and took a look and all looks good.

Here is what I used if you want to give it a try.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...strip+adhesive

Edit, I do not think ours came loose by itself. We had let a young severely autistic child use our bathroom and after he came out we found the screen laying on the mattress and the weatherstrip pulled a bit.

Didn't say anything, just fixed it when we were home a few days later.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:

I just noticed this happening on our 2015 Escape 21 on the dinette window on the passenger side. I was planning on asking ETI about this. I would be interested in what they advise you do.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I'm guessing that's an assembly flaw from the window manufacturer. If the weatherstripping is placed in with any kind of stretch to it, over time it shrinks slightly, and can pull away from the corners. Just a theory. It will be interesting to hear what the recommended fix is, or if it's just to replace the entire strip.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'm guessing that's an assembly flaw from the window manufacturer. If the weatherstripping is placed in with any kind of stretch to it, over time it shrinks slightly, and can pull away from the corners. Just a theory. It will be interesting to hear what the recommended fix is, or if it's just to replace the entire strip.
That is my guess too! It appears that the weatherstripping was probably stretched too tightly when it was put on and it has shrunk.

Unfortunately, I am STILL waiting for a response from ETI so I don't have any answers yet. It rained here last night, so before it did, I went out and removed the window screens (what a pain to get back on!), tried to stretch the weather stripping back to where it's supposed to be, and then I quickly shut the windows to try to keep the weatherstripping in place. I haven't been out to check on it yet, but I'm afraid that the failing weatherstripping could lead to water damage in the trailer.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 17
You can place an order for the new stripping piece with escape to get you back in business.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Unfortunately, I am STILL waiting for a response from ETI so I don't have any answers yet. It rained here last night, so before it did, I went out and removed the window screens (what a pain to get back on!), tried to stretch the weather stripping back to where it's supposed to be, and then I quickly shut the windows to try to keep the weatherstripping in place. I haven't been out to check on it yet, but I'm afraid that the failing weatherstripping could lead to water damage in the trailer.

Did you use this email: PartsandService@escapetrailer.com

I find I get a quicker response (usually from Reece) when I use that email when I need an answer on a situation/question with the trailer.

Did any water get inside? Hope not!

Good luck!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Did you use this email: PartsandService@escapetrailer.com

I find I get a quicker response (usually from Reece) when I use that email when I need an answer on a situation/question with the trailer.

Did any water get inside? Hope not!

Good luck!
No, I didn't have that email. I just used their sales email with Parts & Service as the title. But thank you, I will make note of that address!

No water got inside. Before it started raining I did my best to push the weatherstripping back into the corners and then I quickly shut the windows.

But I got a reply from Reace. He said he would send me enough weatherstripping to redo the windows. Yay! I'm pretty handy, so I'm thinking it would be easier for me to install the new weatherstripping than to have to haul my trailer back up to Chilliwack to have them fix it.

He also said that the weatherstripping that is coming off doesn't prevent water from getting in. I think he said there is some weatherstripping above that keeps the water out. Nevertheless, I paid extra for thermal windows, so I'd like to have weatherstripping that does the job.

Kat