winter camping in your trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
winter camping in your trailer

I'm looking into purchasing an Escape trailer and I'm wondering what everyone does in the winter in regards to keeping the fresh and gray tanks from freezing while camping. The black tank is located inside I'm told but what does everyone do about the fresh water to keep it from freezing? I'm told that the factory no longer offers heat pads nor enclosing the tanks. Thanks for giving me your thoughts
Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Re: winter camping

Hi:

It is not clear whether you are wanting to use your trailer in the winter, or just winterize it so that things don't freeze.

If you are winterizing your trailer the simplest solution is to drain the water system and use air to blow out any water that can't be drained.

If you can't blow out the whole system you can put RV antifreeze in the traps so that they won't freeze.

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B - Escape Pod
Re: winter camping in your trailer

When we camp in temperatures that are well below freezing then when "dry camp". We keep water in a jug and wash dishes in dish pans, dumping the water outside. Some people even put a bag liner in the toilet bowl when they are desperate! You could also take the trailer in to a RV place and have them add the wires to heat the tanks etc. You would then be forced to winterize the trailer when you get home to jeep the pipes from freezing unless you keep the tanks heated and the trailer heated all the time. We prefer to dry camp.
ddevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: winter camping in your trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
I'm looking into purchasing an Escape trailer and I'm wondering what everyone does in the winter in regards to keeping the fresh and gray tanks from freezing while camping. The black tank is located inside I'm told but what does everyone do about the fresh water to keep it from freezing? I'm told that the factory no longer offers heat pads nor enclosing the tanks. Thanks for giving me your thoughts
We winterize when temps are going to be regularily below freezing. Up to that point, we keep a cube heater on in the camper with the cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate. Then, you're ready to "go" in that shoulder season.
After winterization (ie. the system has RV antifreeze in it - including the fresh water tank, gray and black tanks as well, ie. down in the drain portion), we still camp. We take our water in jugs for drinking, washing and flushing. We do not use the fresh water tank (it's still winterized)! The black tank and gray tank have some antifreeze in them already so for a couple days, and the temps don't stay super cold, it works great. Either take "spit baths" with hot water from the stove top, or go somewhere that they have hot showers.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote