Winter RV Camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17B
Winter RV Camping

We plan to winter camp. We have a 17B, no insulation or heating pads. We don't use the black water tank -- it's empty. The gray water tank will be drained daily. Night temperatures to 26 F, but day temps in the upper 30's to low 40's. Our 17B will be kept warm inside. Is there anything to worry about with respect to the cold (26 F) nighttime temps? Thanks.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
We plan to winter camp. We have a 17B, no insulation or heating pads. We don't use the black water tank -- it's empty. The gray water tank will be drained daily. Night temperatures to 26 F, but day temps in the upper 30's to low 40's. Our 17B will be kept warm inside. Is there anything to worry about with respect to the cold (26 F) nighttime temps? Thanks.
I'd detach your hose from the water inlet, turn on the faucet to partially drain the line, and hold the toilet flush down to partially drain that too. Other than that, your biggest issue will probably be condensation. Use your Maxx Fan set on low exhaust, and crack a window. You'll do fine.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You might want to open cabinets with water lines at night and bathroom.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You say you would drain grey water daily. I don't understand why you would be using fresh or city water at all at those temps. What's most at risk are water pipes/hoses, any small volume area where water can be trapped and as ice can expand.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You say you would drain grey water daily. I don't understand why you would be using fresh or city water at all at those temps. What's most at risk are water pipes/hoses, any small volume area where water can be trapped and as ice can expand.
So, I have water in the trailer's fresh water holding tank. I'm not going to add additional water to the trailer during this short camping trip. But Gbaglo, are you saying this type of camping puts me at risk in terms of a frozen water line? Thanks.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd detach your hose from the water inlet, turn on the faucet to partially drain the line, and hold the toilet flush down to partially drain that too. Other than that, your biggest issue will probably be condensation. Use your Maxx Fan set on low exhaust, and crack a window. You'll do fine.
Thanks Rbryan4! ��
Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 PM   #7

I don't know how long it takes and at what temperature you are at risk. I also don't have that much faith in the weather forecast to take a risk.
For a short trip, I'd winterize the trailer and use bottled water. I'm guessing you are going to be at a site with washrooms and hopefully somewhere to wash dishes or dump grey water.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I've camped on Whidbey Island for two winters now at the temperatures you mention. Although I have an insulated trailer and no waste water tanks, I've had no issues whatsoever with my fresh water feed (which is from the tank, not a serviced site). Condensation? Just keep a window cracked and the fan on low at night.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:07 PM   #9

Right now, I'm thinking about pipes bursting here at home, never mind camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 9.05.38 PM.png  
Old 12-14-2016, 05:38 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We dry camp when it gets below freezing for more then the odd night and don't use water in the trailer at all. You do have to find somewhere that has open bathrooms. Chances are you'll be fine doing as you say, along with disconnecting the water hose.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When you say you have no insulation, is that just the underbelly, or the extra insulation on the wall liner too. Do you have thermal windows.

If you have the extra wall insulation and thermal windows, I found that if I kept the furnace set to about 10°C, that condensation was minimized.

I have camped many a night in our 19 at the overnight temperatures you expect, as around here those are the temps even in fall and spring, and have had no issues. We never had underbelly insulation either. The only issue I ever had was the last trip of the year, I wanted to drain the fresh water tank at camp, and that line had a bit of freezing. I just held it in my hand for a few minutes and it cleared up. We used the grey and black tanks too. The kicker is though, that hitting the daytime highs you quote will help warm things up enough that tanks will not freeze.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I agree Jim. It's not a sustained freeze. They'll be fine by just disconnecting the water, and condensation isnt a problem if you exhaust using the Maxx fan and crack a window. We open the awning window over the sink. Works really well, and the trailer still stays warm. We've camped in similar conditions, where lows were around 18-20F, but highs were in the upper 30s or low 40s. Not an issue. If I wanted to camp where it stayed below freezing for an extended period, it'd be a different case. I would not use the trailer water system then, and would rely on packaged water and the campground facilities.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With water in the fresh tank and no tank foam spray it can freeze. If you dry camp then you will be fine as long as you winterize the entire trailer. BTW, you may want to keep the door weatherstrip lubricated as the condensation can freeze and when you open the door it can pull away the stripping.The earlier doors are not insulated as they are after 2012.
On edit, I see you have a later model door so you may have no issues there.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When you say you have no insulation, is that just the underbelly, or the extra insulation on the wall liner too. Do you have thermal windows.

If you have the extra wall insulation and thermal windows, I found that if I kept the furnace set to about 10°C, that condensation was minimized.

I have camped many a night in our 19 at the overnight temperatures you expect, as around here those are the temps even in fall and spring, and have had no issues. We never had underbelly insulation either. The only issue I ever had was the last trip of the year, I wanted to drain the fresh water tank at camp, and that line had a bit of freezing. I just held it in my hand for a few minutes and it cleared up. We used the grey and black tanks too. The kicker is though, that hitting the daytime highs you quote will help warm things up enough that tanks will not freeze.
Jim we do have the extra insulation in the liner and the thermal Windows. We did not get the underbelly insulation. Appreciate your comment.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
We have been out many times in fall with overnights -3-4 c.....which is appr. 26f and so far have not had our( hooked-up ) water hose freeze ... assuming it is an overnight low not a steady temperature . If it started freezing at bedtime already I might be inclined to disconnect ( or through a blanket over the hook-up which is likely the coldest spot -being metal ) .....
Old 12-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #16

I just had to use a hair dryer to thaw the lock on my 17B so I could open the door and retrieve two cases of beer that were inside.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
I just had to use a hair dryer to thaw the lock on my 17B so I could open the door and retrieve two cases of beer that were inside.
Necessity is the mother of invention................

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:
I don't know how long it takes and at what temperature you are at risk. I also don't have that much faith in the weather forecast to take a risk.
For a short trip, I'd winterize the trailer and use bottled water. I'm guessing you are going to be at a site with washrooms and hopefully somewhere to wash dishes or dump grey water.
Agreed. Pack your own water. Also get a marine port-a-potty and put it your bathroom. Works great and you can keep you trailer winterized.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 19
Some of us on this site subscribe to specific threads and receive emails to alerts us to new content on that thread. I think this is the "for sale" thread but all of the alerts I have received are for comments on cold weather camping. Please post in the correct thread or topic.

Thanks

Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Cold beer is right at home in "Winter RV Camping". They're a perfect match

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote