Winterizing - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #1

Winterizing

I had to winterize our new 17B after getting it back to Reno, NV... yes, winterizing in April!!! Not sure how anyone else has pumped the rv antifreeze into the system, but this seemed to work well for me. One 1/2" pvc coupler connected to one 90 deg. rainbird funny pipe hose barb w/ 1/2" male end. Connect couple/barb assembly to inlet of water pump. Connect flexible 1/2" tubing to barb end of 90 deg. fitting, w/ opposite end submerged in antifreeze bottle and you're ready to go. I just found it was difficult to pry the clear tubing, running from the fresh water tank to the pump, off of the barb fitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1084sm.jpg (21.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1086sm.jpg (13.6 KB, 58 views)

SlvrSt8Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #2

Re: Winterizing

Another easy way is, after you've bypassed the water heater (VERY IMPORTANT), drain the fresh water tank, then just add a gallon of antifreeze to your fresh water tank. Turn on the pump, and open each faucet til it runs pink. Gets in your "p-traps" too. Then in the spring, just drain the fresh tank of every drop that will come out, fill with fresh water, flush lines, drain tank again, and you're ready to refill with fresh water and off you go.

Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

They also make a selector valve that goes in the water
line between your tank and pump, it comes with a hose
you just put in in a jug of antifreeze turn the valve
and pump it though your system its called a siphon kit.
http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...61&pageNum=359
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Since we live where we can get some substantial sub-freezing time in the winter, I really appreciate this info. So far, I like Hokie's approach the best; it's simple and thorough. I was intimidated the complexity of the the Winterizing Tutorial on the FGRV site. I feel much better now. I'm sure when we pick up our 19 that we'll learn how to isolate and drain the heater tank.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #5

Bruce, it is simple. Just be sure to isolate the water heater. Tammy's tutorial shows the valve to shoot the water (anti-freeze) past the water heated. Then do the fresh water tank thing. Don't forget however, to drain the hot water heater by pulling the anode plug. Need a special socket for that. It's really a simple process.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

A special socket, eh? My wife's kind of dreading letting me at the new trailer, knowing what a gear head I am when I get into something. Oh boy, a new tool!
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

So to get it ready for our first trip this spring--I do what?

I know it was winterized at the shop--I know the propane works as I have had that one.
Do,I have vents to close/what to do with the hot water tank/grey/black water tanks.?
Help??
Once this year is done it will be easy---just the first time......
Old 04-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie
So to get it ready for our first trip this spring--I do what?

I know it was winterized at the shop--I know the propane works as I have had that one.
Do,I have vents to close/what to do with the hot water tank/grey/black water tanks.?
Help??
Once this year is done it will be easy---just the first time......
Bruce, the special socket isn't "special", just a certain size. I think it is a 1 1/4" but I don't remember. I'll have to check when I get home.
Amirie, it's not a big deal really. Your grey and black water tanks are good to go. No special vents anywhere except your Maxxfan, and your stove hood when you cook.
To flush out all the antifreeze, fill your fresh tank with fresh water, or with a weak mixture of clorox (1/4 C to 20gal would be good) if your fresh water tank has been empty (disinfects the lines and tank). Turn your water pump on, and open each faucet (hot and cold) until is isn't pink any more, and has a light hint of clorox (if you used it). Drain your fresh water tank. Then flush your fresh water tank with clean fresh water (you can run it through each faucet again if you like) to get rid of any clorox mixture. After that, turn the valve to divert water back into your water heater, fill the fresh water tank again and go camping! (Oh yes, check of course to make sure the anode plug <big round "nut" looking thing you see at the bottom of your water heater, when you look at it outside>). I always replace mine after draining it, but whoever did it for you may not have??.
In one sentence, just use fresh water to flush out all the antifreeze!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna

An excellent review is the training video under the Documents and Helpful Stuff heading made by Tammy. (Thanks also to Jeff). Of course when she does it it looks simple.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I am pretty sure they by passed the fresh water tank, so I don't think I will use bleach in it--we seldom drink that water anyway---usually use a big 5 gal water jug and a "Brita" for drinking water.

it was more the "anode plug" that I was worried about...and what to do about the HOT water tank...

So THANK YOU.....