Winterizing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #1

Winterizing

I had to winterize our new 17B after getting it back to Reno, NV... yes, winterizing in April!!! Not sure how anyone else has pumped the rv antifreeze into the system, but this seemed to work well for me. One 1/2" pvc coupler connected to one 90 deg. rainbird funny pipe hose barb w/ 1/2" male end. Connect couple/barb assembly to inlet of water pump. Connect flexible 1/2" tubing to barb end of 90 deg. fitting, w/ opposite end submerged in antifreeze bottle and you're ready to go. I just found it was difficult to pry the clear tubing, running from the fresh water tank to the pump, off of the barb fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1084sm.jpg   IMG_1086sm.jpg  
SlvrSt8Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: Winterizing

Another easy way is, after you've bypassed the water heater (VERY IMPORTANT), drain the fresh water tank, then just add a gallon of antifreeze to your fresh water tank. Turn on the pump, and open each faucet til it runs pink. Gets in your "p-traps" too. Then in the spring, just drain the fresh tank of every drop that will come out, fill with fresh water, flush lines, drain tank again, and you're ready to refill with fresh water and off you go.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

They also make a selector valve that goes in the water
line between your tank and pump, it comes with a hose
you just put in in a jug of antifreeze turn the valve
and pump it though your system its called a siphon kit.
http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...61&pageNum=359
Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Since we live where we can get some substantial sub-freezing time in the winter, I really appreciate this info. So far, I like Hokie's approach the best; it's simple and thorough. I was intimidated the complexity of the the Winterizing Tutorial on the FGRV site. I feel much better now. I'm sure when we pick up our 19 that we'll learn how to isolate and drain the heater tank.
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Bruce, it is simple. Just be sure to isolate the water heater. Tammy's tutorial shows the valve to shoot the water (anti-freeze) past the water heated. Then do the fresh water tank thing. Don't forget however, to drain the hot water heater by pulling the anode plug. Need a special socket for that. It's really a simple process.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

A special socket, eh? My wife's kind of dreading letting me at the new trailer, knowing what a gear head I am when I get into something. Oh boy, a new tool!
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

So to get it ready for our first trip this spring--I do what?

I know it was winterized at the shop--I know the propane works as I have had that one.
Do,I have vents to close/what to do with the hot water tank/grey/black water tanks.?
Help??
Once this year is done it will be easy---just the first time......
Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie
So to get it ready for our first trip this spring--I do what?

I know it was winterized at the shop--I know the propane works as I have had that one.
Do,I have vents to close/what to do with the hot water tank/grey/black water tanks.?
Help??
Once this year is done it will be easy---just the first time......
Bruce, the special socket isn't "special", just a certain size. I think it is a 1 1/4" but I don't remember. I'll have to check when I get home.
Amirie, it's not a big deal really. Your grey and black water tanks are good to go. No special vents anywhere except your Maxxfan, and your stove hood when you cook.
To flush out all the antifreeze, fill your fresh tank with fresh water, or with a weak mixture of clorox (1/4 C to 20gal would be good) if your fresh water tank has been empty (disinfects the lines and tank). Turn your water pump on, and open each faucet (hot and cold) until is isn't pink any more, and has a light hint of clorox (if you used it). Drain your fresh water tank. Then flush your fresh water tank with clean fresh water (you can run it through each faucet again if you like) to get rid of any clorox mixture. After that, turn the valve to divert water back into your water heater, fill the fresh water tank again and go camping! (Oh yes, check of course to make sure the anode plug <big round "nut" looking thing you see at the bottom of your water heater, when you look at it outside>). I always replace mine after draining it, but whoever did it for you may not have??.
In one sentence, just use fresh water to flush out all the antifreeze!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

An excellent review is the training video under the Documents and Helpful Stuff heading made by Tammy. (Thanks also to Jeff). Of course when she does it it looks simple.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #10

I am pretty sure they by passed the fresh water tank, so I don't think I will use bleach in it--we seldom drink that water anyway---usually use a big 5 gal water jug and a "Brita" for drinking water.

it was more the "anode plug" that I was worried about...and what to do about the HOT water tank...

So THANK YOU.....
Old 04-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #11

Bruce,
Socket size is 1 1/16".

SlvrSt8Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

A really good tip....make sure your faucet is over the sink!

I won't tell you who, but when one of our customers was de-winterizing their trailer. They didn't realize that they had turned the faucet so that it was over the counter until water started draining from the drain holes in the bottom of the trailer. :

Tammy
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #13

Today we went out and tried everything, so I think (hope) we know how to use everything (except the screen room)
Finally figured out how to fill the hot water tank---duh---turn on the hot water tap!!!!! And yes, the water did get hot!!!
Flushed the toilet a few times---added the "glug" of stuff... Then drained the grey tank on our trailer pad and driveway---BTW the antifreeze stunk!!!!! It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow so it will all wash away anyway....
Tried the furnace--the fridge and the fan...

Thank you for the video---we watched it again and it helped when you are actually doing things...

Haven't jacked down the stabilzers yet....

So hopefully when we go to use it next month we won't be too stupid!!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi...Amirie... The screen room is quite easy. Read the tabs and make sure you get the #1 rt. hand side in first. Then the #2 left...zip up the door and a small step stool helps with the snap on the roof...well I don't know about a 17'er. then snap on the skirt... Ask me how I know this :
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
screen rm..jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)

Hello Anna Marie,

When you set up the screen room for the first time. Keep the velcro strips to the outside (away from me). Not all of the panels get marked. So when I am showing a customer I hold up the panel with the valcro on the outside and look for the one with the zipper on the right first. Remember to remove the pull strap for the awning before you begin. It will slide out of its track once you slide it along towards the rear of the trailer. Then I will grasp the panel in the center, where the notch is, and beginning with your left hand slide it in to the end of the awning tube at the back of the trailer. You will see a small space for the screen room to slide into (this is also where your pull strap is removed from) begin with your left hand and slide it along the track until the zipper lines up in the center of the awning - there should be a light pencil mark - then take the second panel with the valcro on the outside and the zipper on the left and slide it into the track.

Then put your poles together one with holes and one without. The pointy end will go into the hole on the inside of the awning tube and the flat end will fit into a flat spot on the top of the trailer located just under the awning repeat for both sides. Remember these poles are spring loaded - like a tent pole - You may need a stool
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #16

If anyone is still not comfortable in winterizing your own trailer, RV Travel has their DVD on how to winterize on sale today. Catch it at: http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?m=2&p=677
Old 10-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: HokieEscape... Dan I just had ours done yesterday. I hooked up and took it to my RV mech. here. While he was pressureizing the anti freeze in I was using a "Crying Towel". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. One of these days I'll try the Frostproof Fla. method!!!
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

As soon as mine thaws out from our quick blast of cold and snow, I am going to winterize it, yes I am.

We did throw an electric heater inside to keep the water heater and other stuff warm shortly after the freeze started, I think all should be fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote