Winterizing My E21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Posts: 555
Winterizing My E21

Have winterized our E21, but need some help. On our previous trailer (a 17B) we didn't get the winterizing T Valve, so followed the instructions including partially filling the cold water tank with RV Anti Freeze, then turning on the pump and taps until the pink liquid ran through it etc as per the manual.

However, in our new 21, which we are now winterizing for the first time, we got the winterizing T Valve. The manual doesn't appear to say how this is supposed to work. I understood that its much easier, having drained the hot and cold water tanks etc and putting the hot water tank by-pass valve into the by-pass mode, you put the tube from the T-Valve into your container of RV antifreeze and turn on the pump and it sucks the antifreeze out of the container through the T - valve. Great, uses way less anti freeze.

However, a problem exists as there is still water in the water fill pipe from the cold water tank to the water pump. (See attached photo). I only have an oil compressor, so blowing out the pipes is not an option as I don't want to get even a hint of compressor oil in the water system. In the end, the only way to clear it seemed to be to put a whole bunch of RV antifreeze in the cold water tank and to pump it through, so I am not quite sure what the value of the winterizing T Valve is, unless someone can tell me what I missed, thanks.

Any thoughts would be welcome for next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_a301.jpeg (216.1 KB, 11 views)
__________________

Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Have winterized our E21, but need some help. On our previous trailer (a 17B) we didn't get the winterizing T Valve, so followed the instructions including partially filling the cold water tank with RV Anti Freeze, then turning on the pump and taps until the pink liquid ran through it etc as per the manual.

However, in our new 21, which we are now winterizing for the first time, we got the winterizing T Valve. The manual doesn't appear to say how this is supposed to work. I understood that its much easier, having drained the hot and cold water tanks etc and putting the hot water tank by-pass valve into the by-pass mode, you put the tube from the T-Valve into your container of RV antifreeze and turn on the pump and it sucks the antifreeze out of the container through the T - valve. Great, uses way less anti freeze.

However, a problem exists as there is still water in the water fill pipe from the cold water tank to the water pump. (See attached photo). I only have an oil compressor, so blowing out the pipes is not an option as I don't want to get even a hint of compressor oil in the water system. In the end, the only way to clear it seemed to be to put a whole bunch of RV antifreeze in the cold water tank and to pump it through, so I am not quite sure what the value of the winterizing T Valve is, unless someone can tell me what I missed, thanks.

Any thoughts would be welcome for next year.
Many are winterizing the exact same way as you describe. If you had opened a tap and run the pump briefly before you turned the winterizing valve it should have drawn up some of that water out of the line. At this point if you want to clear it it looks like you can simply remove the hose clamp at the tank fitting, pull off the hose and let the line drain.

This isn't necessary, but there is a user mod that puts a tee valve down at the tank to make sure the antifreeze fills the line for peace of mind. This can double as a water pickup location when camping without having to pour into the tank.
Modifications to Eggscape
__________________

__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,070
Thumbs up

Since I have the foam I can not see that connection. That said I would not worry as there is room for expansion back into the tank. I have never drained that low spot and never had any issues. The E-Z-winterization allows one person to winterize the entire trailer, in about 10-15 minutes with one gallon of antifreeze. Don't forget the outside shower and outside fresh water connection. Otherwise all your lines would be filled with antifreeze, your traps also.
That little water should do no harm. I believe Eggscape removed that connection and installed a "T" valve there which allows draining that little bit as well as his source for sucking up the antifreeze from there vs inside.
on Edit I see Dave beat me to the answer
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since I have the foam I can not see that connection. That said I would not worry as there is room for expansion back into the tank. I have never drained that low spot and never had any issues.
I did not mention it but I have seen this pickup line freeze (no foam) and it didn't cause any issues.
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 20,070
I'll have to remember to run the pump first, as you mentioned, for a minute after draining the the tank, before turning the "T E-Z- Winterization" valve inside, next time.
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Box Elder, South Dakota
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
At this point if you want to clear it it looks like you can simply remove the hose clamp at the tank fitting, pull off the hose and let the line drain.

Modifications to Eggscape
That's what I did to eliminate that last bit of water. Use a hair blow dryer to warm up the hose and it will slip off fairly easily after you loosen the clamp.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,314
If the water tank is empty, most of the water drains back anyway. I too have never had an issue with the water supply line to the pump freezing and causing damage.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×