Winterizing My E21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Winterizing My E21

Have winterized our E21, but need some help. On our previous trailer (a 17B) we didn't get the winterizing T Valve, so followed the instructions including partially filling the cold water tank with RV Anti Freeze, then turning on the pump and taps until the pink liquid ran through it etc as per the manual.

However, in our new 21, which we are now winterizing for the first time, we got the winterizing T Valve. The manual doesn't appear to say how this is supposed to work. I understood that its much easier, having drained the hot and cold water tanks etc and putting the hot water tank by-pass valve into the by-pass mode, you put the tube from the T-Valve into your container of RV antifreeze and turn on the pump and it sucks the antifreeze out of the container through the T - valve. Great, uses way less anti freeze.

However, a problem exists as there is still water in the water fill pipe from the cold water tank to the water pump. (See attached photo). I only have an oil compressor, so blowing out the pipes is not an option as I don't want to get even a hint of compressor oil in the water system. In the end, the only way to clear it seemed to be to put a whole bunch of RV antifreeze in the cold water tank and to pump it through, so I am not quite sure what the value of the winterizing T Valve is, unless someone can tell me what I missed, thanks.

Any thoughts would be welcome for next year.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_a301.jpeg  
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Have winterized our E21, but need some help. On our previous trailer (a 17B) we didn't get the winterizing T Valve, so followed the instructions including partially filling the cold water tank with RV Anti Freeze, then turning on the pump and taps until the pink liquid ran through it etc as per the manual.

However, in our new 21, which we are now winterizing for the first time, we got the winterizing T Valve. The manual doesn't appear to say how this is supposed to work. I understood that its much easier, having drained the hot and cold water tanks etc and putting the hot water tank by-pass valve into the by-pass mode, you put the tube from the T-Valve into your container of RV antifreeze and turn on the pump and it sucks the antifreeze out of the container through the T - valve. Great, uses way less anti freeze.

However, a problem exists as there is still water in the water fill pipe from the cold water tank to the water pump. (See attached photo). I only have an oil compressor, so blowing out the pipes is not an option as I don't want to get even a hint of compressor oil in the water system. In the end, the only way to clear it seemed to be to put a whole bunch of RV antifreeze in the cold water tank and to pump it through, so I am not quite sure what the value of the winterizing T Valve is, unless someone can tell me what I missed, thanks.

Any thoughts would be welcome for next year.
Many are winterizing the exact same way as you describe. If you had opened a tap and run the pump briefly before you turned the winterizing valve it should have drawn up some of that water out of the line. At this point if you want to clear it it looks like you can simply remove the hose clamp at the tank fitting, pull off the hose and let the line drain.

This isn't necessary, but there is a user mod that puts a tee valve down at the tank to make sure the antifreeze fills the line for peace of mind. This can double as a water pickup location when camping without having to pour into the tank.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post266446
Old 11-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Since I have the foam I can not see that connection. That said I would not worry as there is room for expansion back into the tank. I have never drained that low spot and never had any issues. The E-Z-winterization allows one person to winterize the entire trailer, in about 10-15 minutes with one gallon of antifreeze. Don't forget the outside shower and outside fresh water connection. Otherwise all your lines would be filled with antifreeze, your traps also.
That little water should do no harm. I believe Eggscape removed that connection and installed a "T" valve there which allows draining that little bit as well as his source for sucking up the antifreeze from there vs inside.
on Edit I see Dave beat me to the answer
Old 11-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since I have the foam I can not see that connection. That said I would not worry as there is room for expansion back into the tank. I have never drained that low spot and never had any issues.
I did not mention it but I have seen this pickup line freeze (no foam) and it didn't cause any issues.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'll have to remember to run the pump first, as you mentioned, for a minute after draining the the tank, before turning the "T E-Z- Winterization" valve inside, next time.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
At this point if you want to clear it it looks like you can simply remove the hose clamp at the tank fitting, pull off the hose and let the line drain.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post266446
That's what I did to eliminate that last bit of water. Use a hair blow dryer to warm up the hose and it will slip off fairly easily after you loosen the clamp.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If the water tank is empty, most of the water drains back anyway. I too have never had an issue with the water supply line to the pump freezing and causing damage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote