Winterizing T Valve - What, how, why - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use about a gallon and a half on my 17B. I was surprised how little it takes to fill the lines, using the hand pump and city water inlet. Rest goes into the traps.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
On our 19' it takes less than a gallon with the 3 way valve using the onboard pump and the pump gets winterized too.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
If you are talking about this item http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pu.../dp/B0006JJ588 it is a fairly easy modification. If you have a Shurflo pump it has an adapter that lets you screw it directy to your pump input line.
You must ensure the pick up valve is installed so when the pick up port is selected it connects to the pump input. If not paying attention it can be put it on backwards and it won't work. The other issue is where is your pump strainer is located. If it is located in the middle of your tank pick up line (Like Casita does it.) your strainer can freeze and crack if you don't drain it. If your strainer is located on the input of your pump with a hose barb connector it will be infront of your winterization valve when you done. You will have to remove the bowl to drain the strainer to keep it from freezing.
You can buy a strainer to install after the pick up valve but you will have also by a hose barb fitting for the valve.
Bottom line it works great. Hope this helps.
Eddie
I liked the idea of a brass valve and ordered this. When I went to install it into my 19' Escape, I found out that there isn't enough clearance due to the wheel well. If you have a 19, consider the plastic valve listed in this thread. Available from Amazon as well as ebay.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... I'm vary wearisome of pink stuff in my water!!! I'd rather just blow down the entire system and leave it dry. IMHO it looks better that way. I save the pink stuff for the drains... it's cheaper that way!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

We have done both the anti-freeze method and the air compressor method this winter. Keep in mind this winter is our first time with any trailer & we have winterized & de-winterized our 15B 3 times now, and our 19 once, so we consider ourselves pros. First time we used antifreeze, next three times we blew out the lines. We have a small one gallon air compressor I bought 15 years ago for minor work at home, not really what you want to use, it worked fine to blow out the lines, it just took a while both times. Our very next purchase will be a larger compressor that can hold at 80 psi longer and help us winterize quickly.
Of the two methods we really like the air compressor method best because we don't have to buy as much antifreeze and don't have to flush the lines or worry about chemical residue that didn't get fully flushed out when we use the trailer. Since we use the trailer all winter - we either go south or go local if we get warmer weekend weather (26° F for a low), we winterize more than once a season. Plus when we dry camp there is no place to flush out the antifreeze except at the dump station, and that takes more time away from camping. With the compressor we don't have to keep much antifreeze on hand, just enough for the traps, and with multiple winterizations the new compressor will pay for itself in a few short years. We just remove and replace the hot water heater anode with teflon tape, and so when we dry camp we just fill up the fresh water and are ready to go!
EstateOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I recently found one more advantage to having the Winterizing T-valve. While camped in cold conditions, I realized that I can bring in my fresh water and use the T-valve to continue camping as I normally would when camping off grid. Bring in your freshwater (whether it be in a one gallon, 3 gallon or even a 6 gallon container. Pull your freshwater out as you would for winterizing using the 12 volt water pump and plastic tube. Leave your hot water heater on to protect that. Then, use whatever container you normally use for draining your grey tank. (and black if used only liquids) I use this: Tote-N-Stor 25951 Portable Waste Transport - 6 Gallon Capacity from Amazon. This works as long as you keep the inside of your trailer warm.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I recently found one more advantage to having the Winterizing T-valve. While camped in cold conditions, I realized that I can bring in my fresh water and use the T-valve to continue camping as I normally would when camping off grid. Bring in your freshwater (whether it be in a one gallon, 3 gallon or even a 6 gallon container. Pull your freshwater out as you would for winterizing using the 12 volt water pump and plastic tube. Leave your hot water heater on to protect that. Then, use whatever container you normally use for draining your grey tank. (and black if used only liquids) I use this: Tote-N-Stor 25951 Portable Waste Transport - 6 Gallon Capacity from Amazon. This works as long as you keep the inside of your trailer warm.
Yes, this method can work for a 19. Those with 21’s and 5.0TA’s need to be careful as those models have water lines traversing underneath outside the shell. Not sure about the 17.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post

That is brilliant! Well done!
Old 02-05-2018, 04:31 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just leave a gallon hooked up for toilet use only, but if you wanted liquid other than flushing then your way or another would be needed. But that water heater needs at least 6 gallons, that is a lot of liquid to be carrying in.