Winterizing T Valve - What, how, why - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
Winterizing T Valve - What, how, why

Trying to plan in advance. I see that the Winterizing T Valve is an option that the former owner did not take advantage of. Where is it installed and how does it help with the winterizing process? Would it be possible to install one myself, or is it too late once the trailer is completed?

-40F is not uncommon in Northern Ontario!

Fred Alexander
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I'll be interested, too. The Winterizing T Valve was not offered when I got my trailer in May, 2015. I was assured by ETI that I could winterize just fine with the standard equipment.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
If you are talking about this item http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pu.../dp/B0006JJ588 it is a fairly easy modification. If you have a Shurflo pump it has an adapter that lets you screw it directy to your pump input line.
You must ensure the pick up valve is installed so when the pick up port is selected it connects to the pump input. If not paying attention it can be put it on backwards and it won't work. The other issue is where is your pump strainer is located. If it is located in the middle of your tank pick up line (Like Casita does it.) your strainer can freeze and crack if you don't drain it. If your strainer is located on the input of your pump with a hose barb connector it will be infront of your winterization valve when you done. You will have to remove the bowl to drain the strainer to keep it from freezing.
You can buy a strainer to install after the pick up valve but you will have also by a hose barb fitting for the valve.
Bottom line it works great. Hope this helps.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #4

Eddie!
Thank you for the explanation! I've ordered one and will install before freeze-up. That way I don't have to have any pink stuff in the fresh water tank and know that places that need the antifreeze (like the toilet flush thing) will get it. Thanks very much!

Fred Alexander
Old 09-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I use RV anti-freeze and none of it goes in the fresh water tank. That tank is simply drained. The anti-freeze is pumped in through the city water inlet, with the water heater drained and bypassed.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #6

Are you using a hand pump to pump it in?

Fred
Old 09-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
Are you using a hand pump to pump it in?

Fred
Yes. It's from Camco ( like everything RV ). I do have a 6 gal. compressor and connections to blow out the lines, but I feel more secure when I see pink coming out of the taps. I can't see air.
Attached Thumbnails
Hand pump.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Yes. It's from Camco ( like everything RV ). I do have a 6 gal. compressor and connections to blow out the lines, but I feel more secure when I see pink coming out of the taps. I can't see air.
Are you blowing out first, then pumping in the antifreeze second? I see that the antifreeze I bought today is good to -50 "if it is not diluted with water in the lines"

Fred
Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #9

I don't bother with the compressor.
I just keep pumping until I hear a shout from inside the trailer. That's my wife saying pink is coming through.
She's in there opening one tap at a time, starting at the sink, until she sees pink.
Don't forget the shower hose, the toilet and outside shower.
If you use the Google search site here and look up winterizing, you will find step-by-step instructions for various methods.
Attached Thumbnails
Search Forum.png  
Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Buy one of these and cut the line before the pump and install it. Add a piece of tubing to the branch outlet long enough to extend out of the cabinet and reach a gallon of antifreeze. Then use your pump to winterized. Total install time was about 5 minutes. Works great.

Flair It RV Water Line 3 Way Valve All Are 1 2" PEX | eBay

In this picture it does not have the branch tubing on it. I leave a cap on it when not in use which you can buy at the same place but it's not necessary.

Flair It RV Fresh Water Line Fittings 1 2" FPT End Cap | eBay

Parker gets the credit for the idea not me.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Winterizing T valve.

Good advice, that's the one I installed. Works well and is out of the way during the camping season and ready to go in the late fall when it is time to winterize. I like using the pink stuff too. I watch for it to go on sale about this time of the year and buy a six gallon case for about $16 and use it for several winterizing projects. I low point drain my fresh water tank and I pull the Anode in the water heater tank and leave it out and isolate the inlet and outlet before I start. So no pink stuff in the hot water tank. Use a little bleach in the spring to sanitize and flush a couple of times and we're like Willy. On the Road Again. Logic logic logic and don't be tight with the winterizer.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Is it really necessary to fill the showerhose with antifreeze? It seems to me that the water drains out when the shower valve is turned back to the sink.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I'm vary wearisome of pink stuff in my water!!! I'd rather just blow down the entire system and leave it dry. IMHO it looks better that way. I save the pink stuff for the drains... it's cheaper that way!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #14

On the shower head I either unscrew it where it is attached to the sink, hold it straight and open the shower head cross valve or make sure the diverter is pulled up with pump off and take the hose and head out of the holder so the hose is straight and above my head and then open the valve. The water will then drain back out of the hose for sure. Without doing this some could get trapped above the valve but below the spray head. I caught this the first year when I was making my final check of the trailer a couple of days after winterizing.
Dave
Old 09-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
If you use the Google search site here and look up winterizing, you will find step-by-step instructions for various methods.
There are also instructions in the ETI instruction manual.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #16

I had a look at the ETI instructions for RV anti-freeze. I don't want to use 6 gals. of the stuff, putting it in the fresh water tank and using the trailer pump.
I use my hand pump through the city water inlet.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #17

Pink stuff

Just noticed that RV anti freeze is on sale at the local farm store for $ 2.67 per gallon so it's approaching the season. This is the good to -50 F it says but I always check the rating on the bottle so there's no bait and switch. I usually use a couple gallons to do what I need on the 19. None in the fresh water tank or in the hot water, plenty through the other lines and flushed. Pull the anode and leave that tank to dry for the winter. Rinse the scale out in the spring. Works for us
Dave
Old 09-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I had a look at the ETI instructions for RV anti-freeze. I don't want to use 6 gals. of the stuff, putting it in the fresh water tank and using the trailer pump.
I use my hand pump through the city water inlet.
That's the point of a winterizing tee-valve: you can still use the trailer's pump, but avoid putting any antifreeze in the fresh tank, by inserting the valve in the line between tank and pump. The extra volume to fill the pump is negligible, and the pump itself and piping from pump to city water tee fitting is winterized.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #19

If you read the ETI instructions, it says to put up to six gallons of RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank - enough that the pump is able to draw it through the lines.
As mentioned, there are other ways.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I checked the pump will draw it on the 5.0TA a while back, it pumps all but 1 gallon out of the fresh tank, meaning you could get away with roughly 2 gallons of the pink if you need to do it that way. I have the T valve so 1 gallon is enough.