Wireless Backup Camera info wanted - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Wireless Backup Camera info wanted

Hello escapees,
I need to confirm a build sheet for a 21 in Sept & am thinking about having a back up camera provisioned for. Looking for one to also use while driving to keep an eye on what's behind us. I like the idea of a wireless set up since it's one less wire I'd have to run or be concerned with. Anyone have experience with one or a brand recommendation. Thanks, Jim
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you must.
I prefer to keep my eyes on the road ahead and in any event, you will still need side view mirrors that allow you to see in adjacent lanes.
When I took a "wireless" camera to a shop to be installed at the rear of my RAV they told me they hadn't had any good experiences with wireless cameras.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
Hello escapees,
I need to confirm a build sheet for a 21 in Sept & am thinking about having a back up camera provisioned for. Looking for one to also use while driving to keep an eye on what's behind us. I like the idea of a wireless set up since it's one less wire I'd have to run or be concerned with. Anyone have experience with one or a brand recommendation. Thanks, Jim
I did install one and I had ETI use the center pin to power it. The center pin is used for back-up lights which the Escape does not have. I can switch it on and off at will and find it useful in heavy traffic, such as traversing cities during commuting hours, or backing into sites both in the light and relative darkness. I do not find it distracting. Mine was purchased from Tadi Brothers. It is my understanding that Reace is going to make the Tadi Brothers camera an option. You may want to talk to ETI about it. It has been nothing but a good experience for me.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I had ETI install a Tadi Bros wireless rear view camera on my 21. With 120 degree field of view I can pretty much see who is near either side of my rear bumper.

I didn't like their location for the trailer transmitter though (under the bed where I had to remove the whole platform to get to it) so I moved it up to the shelf over the head of the bed in the event I ever need to replace it. Works super!
Attached Thumbnails
wk2 072.JPG  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Thanks for starting this thread-- I've been reconsidering trying to find a wireless rear-view camera myself. Although initially I didn't think one was necessary, I can't seem to get the hang of backing my Escape 21 without causing great amusement among fellow campers. Also, I'd like to have a rear view when driving down the road after all, contrary to my initial opinion.

Previous postings on the subject pooh-poohed wireless cameras as being mediocre, but maybe there has been some progress. I'd like one that you can stick on the back window when traveling, with it using wifi to transmit its image to a tablet or big cellphone. That shouldn't be too hard.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Commercial Member

The Tadi model I have uses a monitor that slips over the standard tow rear view mirror. Easy to check traffic, touch screen turns it on/off.

My biggest reason to get it is for backing into a narrow storage bay in my shop. Stuck a big bulls-eye on the wall I aim at when backing in .........

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The Tadi model I have uses a monitor that slips over the standard tow rear view mirror. Easy to check traffic, touch screen turns it on/off.

My biggest reason to get it is for backing into a narrow storage bay in my shop. Stuck a big bulls-eye on the wall I aim at when backing in .........
Sounds like a winner to me. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
So I received our 2nd build sheet last week and there is an option for a wireless backup camera for $400. Would this be the Tadi that you mentioned? Our complete date is next year, so it might make sense...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

Mike, I did not install mine permanently because I didn't want to expose it to the elements or drill a hole through the FG shell. Mine attaches with Velcro to the inside of the rear window and plug it into the transmitter which is mounted inside the cabinet over the window. I only attach it to the window when traveling.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So I received our 2nd build sheet last week and there is an option for a wireless backup camera for $400. Would this be the Tadi that you mentioned? Our complete date is next year, so it might make sense...
Yes. Reace mentioned it to me at Osoyoos and I'm quite sure he said they were going to use the Tadi Brothers system. You should call ETI to make sure. I purchased mine directly from Tadi and completed the installation myself because as stated in my previous post, I wanted the camera inside.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Here's my configuration. Tadi Bros only uses one very rugged camera in all their systems. Monitor is up to you. Note the $400 Reace price is in Canadian dollars, these prices are USD:

Orders

Order# Date Status Total 31755 05/29/2014 Shipped $304.63 Items

Item Price Qty. Total 7" Mirror with Wireless 120° RV Backup Camera * Keep Standard Definition
$0.00

* I dont want a frontal camera
$0.00

* Keep what I have (65ft)
$0.00

$254.99 1 $254.99

Cigarette Lighter Adapter $19.99 1 $19.99

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Mike, I did not install mine permanently because I didn't want to expose it to the elements or drill a hole through the FG shell. Mine attaches with Velcro to the inside of the rear window and plug it into the transmitter which is mounted inside the cabinet over the window. I only attach it to the window when traveling.
That's exactly the scheme I had in mind. What do you use as a monitor for the camera?
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
We have a wireless backup camera that came with our magellin gps.
I never thought about putting it on the back of the trailer.
I'm going to have to try that.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
That's exactly the scheme I had in mind. What do you use as a monitor for the camera?
I use the monitor that clips to the rear view mirror. I don't know if it was the Florida heat but less than a year after installing it (I got a 2 camera system because my F150 did not have a back-up camera so I left the monitor in the truck 24/7), the spring that keeps tension on the part that clamps to the mirror went bad. I took a long zip tie and ran it around the clamp's prongs and it has stayed in place ever since. But I could have gotten it replaced under warranty.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Thank you James for bringing up this topic .... I have been thinking about back up camera questions too.

Right now I'm thinking about the Tadi Brothers wireless systems. There are two camera formats .... license plate attachment and another boxier camera housing. The boxier one can accept a magnet attachment ( there is a You Tube video) ... the license plate ... well ... I'm sure I could adapt one. In my case, camera powered by battery.

Wireless so the monitor could be in either of my two tow vehicles. The camera could attach behind but just above my hitch by magnets to my steel rear doors. On either of my tow vehicles. I have a skiff boat trailer and a utility trailer that have made dents and dings that will cost more than the camera system to fix. Soon I'll have an Escape to potentially add to my tow vehicle rear end hitch alignment trama. A good back up camera might be the 'cats meow' to a quick and easy hitch up.

But wait a magnetic stainless plate (3"X4" or so) attached to the rear of my Escape might be a useful for traffic. Perhaps the only possible use I can think of for 5200 ... oh God forgive me!

Then there are those who are concerned with security ... Tadi can handle multi cameras. They are pretty small and perhaps could be wirelessly hidden in such a way to watch over both the drivers and curb sides. I'm not one worried about this but perhaps some would be .... they are pretty small.

There are much cheaper systems offered on Amazon .... like as low as $39.00. With the Tadi pushing $200. I'm hoping you get what you pay for.

Anyone have input? I would appreciate input.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-18-2015, 02:05 AM   #16

I just noticed that I have magically become a "Senior Member". Is that because I just passed 100 posts? Nobody asked for ID proof even though in many jurisdiction's I am a senior .... but wait a minute ... I still think I'm 19 .... somehow no one else does!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:57 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I have a wireless Voyager system (had ETI install the camera on the back of my 5TA). My monitor is a 5.6" screen. I find it very helpful when in heavy traffic for changing lanes. Just another extra safety device in addition to the truck mirrors.

I previously had purchased a Tadi Bros. system and had nothing but trouble with it. The wireless would cut in and out. They finally gave me a refund.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerh View Post
I have a wireless Voyager system (had ETI install the camera on the back of my 5TA). My monitor is a 5.6" screen. I find it very helpful when in heavy traffic for changing lanes. Just another extra safety device in addition to the truck mirrors.

I previously had purchased a Tadi Bros. system and had nothing but trouble with it. The wireless would cut in and out. They finally gave me a refund.

Thank you for your info .... is your Voyager System wireless?
Old 08-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerh View Post

We also have the Voyager and had Escape install on trailer .It is wireless . And ditto on changing lanes . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 Nash 23.5A, Escape 21 coming in March
Hey Charlie, I thought the camera transmitter was hooked up to the camera, yet you have a separate transmitter in the front of your trailer. I have not seen a set like this. Seems like a good way to do it. Please explain how it works.
Kevin
Baca56 is offline   Reply With Quote