Wiring - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Thanks Reace. I hope all the building and updates are going smoothly for you.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #62

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Reace, no one can doubt your commitment to your customers and you certainly are listening.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The wiring in our 2015 looks similarly neat as the photos Reace posted. I think the "mess" posted earlier is a bit of an anomaly. They did a great job on ours.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
... trying to match each components wiring color is difficult. For example, we run a 4 wire ribbon for the running lights (white, brown, yellow and green). The yellow wire connects to the red wire on the taillight on the driver side and the green wire connects to the red wire on the taillight on the passenger side (don't quote me on colors)...I just know the left signal light wire is a different color than the right signal light color...but both taillights have the same color to attach to.
Thanks Reace - I think that's an excellent example. This typically doesn't happen in a car, because the wiring harness for each side - including the bulb sockets or now the connectors for the LED units - is specific to the side and unique to the vehicle. You can do that when you're making a model in quantities of tens of thousands. In RVs - both travel trailers and Class A & C motorhomes - the tail lamp units are usually off-the-shelf (not unique for the RV) and interchangeable side-to-side so they have the same wire colours on each side and a colour transition is inevitable.

Some people have pointed out that there is a manufactuer-supplied diagram for Scamp trailers, and I have borrowed a copy from the FiberglassRV Document Center and posted it here. It cannot possibly be correct for all three sizes and multiple layouts, because it is only one diagram and doesn't show a whole trailer full of components... but on the right side, there are the colour transitions like Reace has described (and undoubtedly for the same reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Always listening and always striving for better...
For about a decade that I've been around... and always appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WiringDiagram_Scamp.pdf (144.3 KB, 30 views)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:29 AM   #65
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
A big "BRAVO" to Reace for the explanation and customer feedback. Well done.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #66
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Some people have pointed out that there is a manufactuer-supplied diagram for Scamp trailers, and I have borrowed a copy from the FiberglassRV Document Center and posted it here.
Nice thought Brian, however Scamp didn't supply the schematic. One of the members of FiberglassRV created this. How do I know? Because I created the PDF and uploaded it to the Document Center more than ten years ago. It's become a popular document, I've seen it scooped and posted on Facebook on several pages, but don't see it on Scamp's web page. If you notice the date I created the PDF, it was the day after the big Scamp fire.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScampWiring.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	15832

Maybe a member here would like to create a ETI build schematic like that FiberglassRV member did all those years ago. There's plenty of room in the Document Center to archive the information.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Nice thought Brian, however Scamp didn't supply the schematic. One of the members of FiberglassRV created this. How do I know? Because I created the PDF and uploaded it to the Document Center more than ten years ago. It's become a popular document, I've seen it scooped and posted on Facebook on several pages, but don't see it on Scamp's web page.
I didn't know who created this, so I perhaps incorrectly assumed that it was Eveland's. I saw it (as a JPEG) well before it was placed in a PDF document and uploaded it to FiberglassRV. True, it's not on the Scamp Trailers web site (I did look), but I don't think that means much. I would prefer to credit the author, but I don't know who that is. If it was built by a customer, that just reinforces that it is difficult to find diagrams from RV manufacturers, and that any particular diagram is not very trustworthy if it was not built for your specific trailer.

Looking at the right edge of the version posted at Dan and Dawn's Scamp site, the page footer is visible: sure enough, this was the last page (page 15) of the owner's manual published by Eveland's. That one that I linked is from 1996, a decade before the extracted diagram was posted to FiberglassRV; I also have a later version downloaded from the Scamp Trailers site and saved in 2008. Regardless of who drew it, the manufacturer published it and no doubt that's where it came from, to eventually land in FiberglassRV. The current Scamp Trailers page for manuals lists and describes the Scamp owner's manual, but doesn't actually link to it - they've apparently decided to not post it in favour of an idiotic video-only approach, or just forgot it . Fortunately, Escape has a real manual; I wouldn't expect any owner's manual to include a full wiring diagram, and Escape's currently doesn't.

In any case a customer-created diagram is a potential approach. Without a substantial amount of work (repeating what Reace and his people have already done, and adding errors in the process) it won't be any more useful than the very limited Scamp diagram. I think that a comprehensive diagram set would be interesting to build, but probably not worth the effort. At the same time, Escape's own diagrams may not be suitable for customer use (as they are built for employees who are trained to use them), and would require effort to publish properly.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #68

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
That one that I linked is from 1996, a decade before the extracted diagram was posted to FiberglassRV; I also have a later version downloaded from the Scamp Trailers site and saved in 2008.
You missed your calling, you'd have made a good detective.

You're right, I do remember that the Scamp schematic was contained in the Scamp manual.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #69

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We have the actual Scamp-Eveland wiring diagram from the 1996 Scamp Manual on Scamp Owners International Scamp Manuals | Scamp Owners International
It's the last page of the manual. I don't think they've updated it a whole lot since then and that manual covered all versions including the 19. They just changed the picture on the cover.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We have the actual Scamp-Eveland wiring diagram from the 1996 Scamp Manual on Scamp Owners International Scamp Manuals | Scamp Owners International
It's the last page of the manual.
Yes, that's the one...
Quote:
... this was the last page (page 15) of the owner's manual published by Eveland's. That one that I linked is from 1996, a decade before the extracted diagram was posted to FiberglassRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I don't think they've updated it a whole lot since then and that manual covered all versions including the 19. They just changed the picture on the cover.
I agree. The diagram is so basic that it wouldn't change with model or with time. I don't think they even changed the picture in the 2008 version, but the font of the title text is different.

This is a difference between Scamp and Escape: Scamp has been around for decades, started with a direct copy of the Boler, and doesn't like change, so they settled into their way of doing things a long time ago. Escape is much newer and continually developing product so perhaps in some cases it is difficult to catch up with some documents.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #71
Site Team

Hey Group! Steve (St3v3) just provided us with a wiring schematic for the 15A. I just uploaded it into the Document Center: Files > Systems > 15A_Wiring-Diag_09-13-15

Thanks Steve!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Hey Group! Steve (St3v3) just provided us with a wiring schematic for the 15A. I just uploaded it into the Document Center: Files > Systems > 15A_Wiring-Diag_09-13-15

Thanks Steve!
Donna what am I doing wrong ? Can't find the wiring diagram ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #73
Site Team

Should be there now Pat. There was a bunch of files stuck in the Que waiting for approval. I didn't know they were there so I approved a big BUNCH and deleted all the duplicates.

File this under Lessons Learned. If you ADD a file to the Document Center, please let us know so we can check it out and approve it. Those docs are valuable to the group and we'd like to make them readily available. THANKS.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Should be there now Pat. There was a bunch of files stuck in the Que waiting for approval. I didn't know they were there so I approved a big BUNCH and deleted all the duplicates.

File this under Lessons Learned. If you ADD a file to the Document Center, please let us know so we can check it out and approve it. Those docs are valuable to the group and we'd like to make them readily available. THANKS.
Thanks Donna got it . I also printed it out , might help figuring mine out . Pat
Old 04-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thanks Donna got it . I also printed it out , might help figuring mine out . Pat
Let's thank Steve for the file
Old 04-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #76

Trailer: 15A 2015
You're Welcome!

As I told Donna, I stopped tracing at the fuses because I'm lazy and I figured if something stops working it will then be obvious what's on common circuits.

By the way mine is wired nice and neat like Reace's photos above.
St3v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 19'
Trailer AC power cable fell out of clamp

I got the attached (not removable) AC power cord and noticed it fell out, or maybe never fit into, the clamp on the box. Also the box was stuffed. Looks to me like the there should be a bigger box and clamp?
Attached Thumbnails
AC not clamped 1.jpg   AC not clamped.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #78

Direct link: Files > Systems > 15A_Wiring-Diag_09-13-15

Thanks Steve.

This diagram shows a port for a NOCO G7200 charger hardwired in; this is presumably an owner modification.

The diagram shows most of the colours clearly (thanks again Steve), and illustrates another colour-change situation: the battery is wired to the red=positive / black=negative convention commonly used at 12-volt batteries, but the connection to the tug is black=positive / white=negative as per the normal practice for RVs. That leads to the red-to-black connection and black-to-white connections in the electrical box. There are other ways to handle this, but I've seen people complain in forums about every possible solution.

In this diagram, the Main Shutoff switch only disconnects the converter and distribution panel (fusebox) from the other wiring shown. This means that the breakaway switch for the brakes will continue to be connected to the battery, and thus continue to work, regardless of the position of the Main Shutoff switch. This design makes sense to me, but discussion in this forum has indicated that this is not the case for other Escapes (that is, they need the Main Shutoff switch to be on for the breakaway to work).

Steve, is the "electrical box" one of the common trailer cable termination boxes, like this: Trailer Wiring Junction Box? I added one to my existing trailer - it's definitely nice to have access to all of the incoming connections, and to be able to replace the cable to the tug cleanly.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3v3 View Post
You're Welcome!

As I told Donna, I stopped tracing at the fuses because I'm lazy and I figured if something stops working it will then be obvious what's on common circuits.

By the way mine is wired nice and neat like Reace's photos above.
I want to Thankyou for also ! Pat
Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I got the attached (not removable) AC power cord and noticed it fell out, or maybe never fit into, the clamp on the box. Also the box was stuffed. Looks to me like the there should be a bigger box and clamp?
Pat