Wiring - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
When you look at the wiring in our trailer you'll see many splices, sometime an inch or two of wire extending a run, and color changes. On the counter top side all the wiring to the lights and stove fan is 'zip' (lamp) cord. So you have brown with no line ... and brown with a line.

Notice in #1 red, splice, one inch red, splice green. etc. On the second pic yellow with insulation damage and red/green combined in splice etc.
When I toured the Escape factory a few years ago, I noticed the electrical harness (or at least some portion of it) being built on a layout board on the wall; the prepared harness would then be installed into the trailer (presumably before some of the interior). This is quite different from stringing individual wires through the trailer (which, by the way, is the way buildings are wired), and helps ensure consistently correct layout (including colour-coding).

Looking at Klem's photos, I wonder if someone had pasted together some harness sections which didn't match in colour-coding (thus the changes) and didn't even reach each other in some cases (thus the ridiculous short sections). Perhaps this was due to a change of interior layout, or a miscommunication of what wiring was needed. Of course this should have meant a fresh start, but people often to inappropriate things under production schedule pressures. This is one of the reasons that quality control is challenging.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
A thought "rambling through me wee heed" as Jim would say, is ETI expected/required to produce their wiring, plumbing, gas and other plans/schematics just because some think they should?
I would say no, but I also think there are legitimate reasons to be able to supply these - as do most manufacturers of most products outside of the RV industry - and there are even more reasons to have them internally (to guide and control production).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
My trailer was built in 2008. And there was a QC employee, because I met her.
Every run is bundled with zip ties and secured to framing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire 1.jpg (230.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg wire 2.jpg (254.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Wire 3.jpg (158.7 KB, 25 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My trailer was built in 2008. And there was a QC employee, because I met her.
Every run is bundled with zip ties and secured to framing.

Looks nice and tidy and well done just like mine, imagine that!

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #55

Trailer: 19 delivery Apr 2017
As a newbie to the forum with a 2017 on order, I have found this thread interesting and informative, despite the political thrillers. I think what most people are saying here is quality is preferred over shoddy construction, regardless of the methods used to achieve the result (union or non-union, certified tradesperson or jack-of-all-trades).

My wiring experience is about nil, so I'm hoping that the construction quality displayed in the pictures shown early in the thread is a rare exception, and that the wiring in my trailer is installed in a rational manner with attention to detail and quality.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
When I was a kid, and told my folks that I thought I should have something, they typically responded with, "yea, and people in Hell think they should have ice water."
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #57

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hello everyone...

Yep...not too proud of what some of our crew had put out. I attached a couple of photos of the next trailer off the line...and I think they look up to par.

I will agree there is a mess in one of the photos, however, trying to match each components wiring color is difficult. For example, we run a 4 wire ribbon for the running lights (white, brown, yellow and green). The yellow wire connects to the red wire on the taillight on the driver side and the green wire connects to the red wire on the taillight on the passenger side (don't quote me on colors)...I just know the left signal light wire is a different color than the right signal light color...but both taillights have the same color to attach to. Then we use green, white and black wires for the furnace run, as that is the color the furnace uses, but we also have the water pump and water heater on that run which use different color wires.

There was a point when we used the splice connectors buried within the walls and overhead cabinets. We no longer use them in those areas and changes to the harness have been made to lessen the amount of splices made. We still use them, however they are in areas that are fairly easily accessible.

Always listening and always striving for better...

Reace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01404.jpg (211.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01405.jpg (200.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01407.jpg (330.3 KB, 76 views)
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop", sold Coleman pop up
I appreciate that attitude of wanting to do the best. Thank you!
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Thanks, Reace for the follow-up. As I posted earlier in this thread the 19 we picked up in Nov looked very professionally done in regards to the wiring when I checked it over. Our trailer looks very similar to the pics you posted above and I've not seen any of the prior issues noted on some of the earlier trailers.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #60

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
wiring

We have had boats that have had the same problems where someone has changed the wires not good for someone trying to fix something . We have a 21 due in Jan 04 /17
It seems Reese is on top of it. Thank You for striving to produce the Best

jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote