Wiring - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #1

Trailer: pondering.....
Wiring

Thanks for the battery info Klem and your other posts as well. so it sounds like I could go with the standard 12 v in the storage box and not do the dual 6 volt option...take delivery of the trailer and easily add 2 AGM batteries at a later date in the bottom of the storage box, as the bottom of the storage box is mechanically rated for dual batteries.
then the only question is the standard wire gauge from the shell to the batteries...of course that opens up the desire for an actual detailed wiring diagram of the electrical wiring (with wire specs) of the trailer...surely I am not the 1st Escape nerd who thought about this..they will probably close the Canadian border (or the factory gates) when I go for the factory visit...however I did find out recently that one of the Escape employees is from Texas, so it seems Texans have already infiltrated the Escape factory.

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post

.of course that opens up the desire for an actual detailed wiring diagram of the electrical wiring (with wire specs) of the trailer...surely I am not the 1st Escape nerd who thought about this..
Don't get me started Been down that road already.

Klem, didn't know you went the pair of 12's route also. Do you you have them on a multi-position battery switch?

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 19'
Glad to help. After seeing this wiring in our 2014 19" I asked for a wiring diagram but they said they didn't have one to send.

When you look at the wiring in our trailer you'll see many splices, sometime an inch or two of wire extending a run, and color changes. On the counter top side all the wiring to the lights and stove fan is 'zip' (lamp) cord. So you have brown with no line ... and brown with a line.

Notice in #1 red, splice, one inch red, splice green. etc. On the second pic yellow with insulation damage and red/green combined in splice etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring 01.jpg (174.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring 02.jpg (180.3 KB, 57 views)
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 PM   #4

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Glad to help. After seeing this wiring in our 2014 19" I asked for a wiring diagram but they said they didn't have one to send.

When you look at the wiring in our trailer you'll see many splices, sometime an inch or two of wire extending a run, and color changes. On the counter top side all the wiring to the lights and stove fan is 'zip' (lamp) cord. So you have brown with no line ... and brown with a line.

Notice in #1 red, splice, one inch red, splice green. etc. On the second pic yellow with insulation damage and red/green combined in splice etc.
wow is all I can say without gasping for breath....if that is the way Escape wires a delivered trailer to you, they badly need to train techs about proper wiring techniques! of course that assumes they have someone familiar with proper techniques and with all those wiring color changes its no wonder they do not have wiring schematics..its a miracle the trailer even works electrically. Curious if you showed those pics to Reace and what was his reaction?
may have to camp out at Escape and wire my own trailer!.
having just stumbled into the rv market as a buyer, it still reminds me of the opening scene of the movie 2001..dawn of the stone age technically for some rv mfg.....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Klem's pics are a bit disconcerting and my 05 17b had some similar wiring issues, however, that was the 37th trailer ETI produced. The current 19 picked up in Nov looks very solid on the wiring harness areas that I can view and certainly nothing at all like shown. Seems professionally done and all in order. Other folks have similar age trailers and haven't reported similar issues. Maybe a rogue person on assembly back then or the process has been tremendously improved. Also, if you go back through the It's Friday build pics, the wiring harnesses and connections look to be very professionally done. Think it must have been a bit of an unusual situation.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I'm not totally sure about that Greg. My view is the failure to provide an electrical schematic to be strange for a commercial operation of this size. I find the typical solution "call Reece" to be unprofessional and unsuited to trailers that may have a problem far from ETI and be taken to an RV place for service. A service person should have access to an electric schematic so that he can trouble shoot the problem.

Maybe things have improved in the last year and a half but I certainly regard the manner in which my trailer was wired as bush league. The switching of wire colors is sort of like a person building something, looking through their junk box for two screws and using one Philips and one Robertson.

My negative ground was screwed to the frame. 18" away the converter ground was screwed to the frame. A very poor situation with the potential for rust to create problematic resistance. It's my understanding that this situation may have been since corrected. I hope so.

One of my brake wires was poorly connected and about to fail. Two others had very poor crimps. They were all repaired with soldered connections.

I don't see very much difference between the way my Scamp was wired. At least the Scamp had a simple schematic. The only improvement that the Escape has is that the incoming 7 pin connections are in a box where the Scamp ones were exposed.

My view is that anyone who has been exposed to higher levels of wiring isn't going to be impressed with ETI's wiring.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23-11-2014 3-49-26 PM3_resize.jpg (229.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 03-08-2014 4-17-04 PM2_resize.jpg (183.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 27-03-2015 2-37-28 PM3_resize.jpg (240.0 KB, 41 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Separated from AGM thread.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Given the number of options and custom choices that ETI accommodates, I fail to see how a basic wiring diagram would help, and can't see them drawing up custom diagrams.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
No comment about the wiring itself, but with every trailer being customized to the client's specs (down to outlet placement), wouldn't an employee have to create a wiring diagram for each and every trailer? While this is doable, it should be an option that the customer is willing to pay for as most customers would not be interested in it, including me. Just my opinion...

Edited: Glenn beat me to the punch while I was typing.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yeah, perhaps it would be best to take the basic diagram and create your own. Get out a flash light and mirror to check out all the cubbies.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote