woe of registration - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhappy View Post
My husband and I are about to become the proud second owners of a 15A, but this thread has me concerned about transporting our new baby home with the proper tags, temporary or otherwise. I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to get a straight answer out of the Alaska DMV (shaking head). Any relevant suggestions?

We registered in TX. Unfortunately there are no straight answers. Just have as much documentation as you can possibly get: Bill of sale, customs and inspections forms, origination certificate, etc. If you are picking up from ETI, they will provide some docs for you. We were told by customs that the temp tags were worthless, but some campgrounds require them if you don't have plates. Get insurance ASAP. You may get lucky and not encounter any problems, but if you do you will learn to adapt. Good luck!
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hopefully Alaska being next door to Canada will be easier than Texas. For a minute I forgot this pre-owned creampuff was Canadian. Had it been U.S. then pretty straightforward- even if from a different state. You'll be fine....keep celebrating
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
For Colorado Escape owners only...
Any suggestions??
We were able to get a temporary paper tag from Colorado prior to pickup. US and Canadian customs had no issues with that tag on our subsequent border crossings. The tag was good for 60 days. When we returned we went through the normal verification of VIN number.

The trick is finding a DMV employee with the necessary experience. It takes persistence but I'm proof that it can be done.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Where are you picking up your trailer? (Congratulations, by the way.)
We are picking it up in British Columbia
Travelhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Temporary Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
The horror stories are just that! Escape tells me folks take their new Escape to Lyden , WA to get it registered. Being Coloradans without a WA state address, this doesn't make sense to me, but I will call and ask. Thinking about taking the Colorado license off our utility trailer and putting that on the Escape! Maybe no one would notice and call the authorities!
My local Colorado DMV told me to go and get temporary tags in WA. I emailed the main office in Denver. They told me the same thing, with a caveat, that if this isn't feasible they could issue a temporary tag. I contact my local DMV again and they told me the temporary would only be good for 36 Hours. I did call Lyden DMV and they are happy to take my money. All I need is a drivers license. Others have told me to use the tag off my other camper. Good idea to have it while traveling. I pick up my camper in a few weeks. Time will tell.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Thanks - I will call my local DMV again and request the gentleman I talked to before. He was the most knowledgeable, but again he told me I could only get the tag for 36 Hours. I will pester them again and request the typical 60 day temporary. Thanks for your advice.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
After seeing this thread I feared the worst, but smooth sailing registering our soon-to-be-picked-up 19 in Colorado today (Boulder County). As at least one or two others have found, you can register the trailer, pay taxes, and obtain temporary (paper) plates before pick up, then return within 60 days for the VIN inspection.

It helped to have the bill of sale and certificate of origin at the top of my paperwork stack, and also to have converted the Canadian purchase price to USD beforehand (ensure that you are taxed on the USD amount!). But overall no issues or problems, in and out in 45 minutes.

And since this is my first post, here are some photos. Picking up week of 6/27.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02533.jpg   DSC02529.jpg   DSC02535.jpg  
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the EscapeForum Geoff. Great first post. Always glad to hear when folks are met with success at DMV!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Welcome Geoff,
With your new '19 I'm certain we have reached critical mass for a Colorado Escape get-together.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Your 19 looks great!!! Love the blue graphic! Enjoy!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Congratulations, we now have enough Colorado Escapes to hold races up to the Eisenhower tunnel.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #52

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Thanks all. And a special thanks to sturski for giving me a tour of his 19 last summer.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #53

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I guess I was lucky registering my 19. There were a few employee/supervisor "conferences" but in the end, it all worked out ok. 30 minutes total at the DMV.

I did get yelled at by a employee though. Seems one foot was anout 4 inches over the "wait here until called" line on the floor! Amazing.

The drama gets repeated next month when my 21 comes home.

Greg
Old 06-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #54

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
I just left my local DMV; Jefferson City, Missouri. where I was informed that they would not issue a license for my new camper until it had crossed the border. That makes no sense. Does anyone else have any experience licensing a new camper in Missouri?
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #55

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A lot of different states have the same rule. Some do temp plates, some not. Some of those involved have driven the camper home without plates. Don't recall seeing anyone get snagged for it.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #56

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleta View Post
I just left my local DMV; Jefferson City, Missouri. where I was informed that they would not issue a license for my new camper until it had crossed the border. That makes no sense. Does anyone else have any experience licensing a new camper in Missouri?

There is a few states that work that way. some have just come home with no plate. others got a Washington temp plate . But honestly i not sure if that good once you leave Washington. Another option is to overnight the paper work to someone at home to do it and send you a plate back.

https://apps.oria.wa.gov/permithandb...rmitdetail/186
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 19'
We were not able to get temporary plates in NJ without import paperwork. Escape told us we should be ok without registration but if pulled over, showing the import document from customs should suffice. We picked up the trailer in Sumas then drove back across the Canadian border to Whistler. After a week we crossed back to Seattle then spent a month and a half skiing Montana, Idaho and Wyoming before the cross country trip back to NJ. No plates and never questioned. We registered at DMV two months after import. They looked at the import document, bill of sale and imprint of the VIN. After paying the sales tax we had plates. Surprisingly they accepted my conversion of Canadian to US dollars.
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is the way n Pennsylvania. I just took my old tags from my old trailer and put them on until returning. But you realiy do not need any tags on the trip home as long as you have your paperwork. I'm not aware of any owner encountering issues driving home with their unregistered Escape. Just make sure you have insurance in effect.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #59

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA "Catalyst"
Thank you all for your advice. I guess i will travel home tagless.
Cleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #60

Trailer: none
We used the plate from our old trailer for the trip home...
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote