woe of registration - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 PM   #41

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhappy View Post
My husband and I are about to become the proud second owners of a 15A, but this thread has me concerned about transporting our new baby home with the proper tags, temporary or otherwise. I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to get a straight answer out of the Alaska DMV (shaking head). Any relevant suggestions?

We registered in TX. Unfortunately there are no straight answers. Just have as much documentation as you can possibly get: Bill of sale, customs and inspections forms, origination certificate, etc. If you are picking up from ETI, they will provide some docs for you. We were told by customs that the temp tags were worthless, but some campgrounds require them if you don't have plates. Get insurance ASAP. You may get lucky and not encounter any problems, but if you do you will learn to adapt. Good luck!

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Hopefully Alaska being next door to Canada will be easier than Texas. For a minute I forgot this pre-owned creampuff was Canadian. Had it been U.S. then pretty straightforward- even if from a different state. You'll be fine....keep celebrating

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #43

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
For Colorado Escape owners only...
Any suggestions??
We were able to get a temporary paper tag from Colorado prior to pickup. US and Canadian customs had no issues with that tag on our subsequent border crossings. The tag was good for 60 days. When we returned we went through the normal verification of VIN number.

The trick is finding a DMV employee with the necessary experience. It takes persistence but I'm proof that it can be done.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Where are you picking up your trailer? (Congratulations, by the way.)
We are picking it up in British Columbia
Travelhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Temporary Tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
The horror stories are just that! Escape tells me folks take their new Escape to Lyden , WA to get it registered. Being Coloradans without a WA state address, this doesn't make sense to me, but I will call and ask. Thinking about taking the Colorado license off our utility trailer and putting that on the Escape! Maybe no one would notice and call the authorities!
My local Colorado DMV told me to go and get temporary tags in WA. I emailed the main office in Denver. They told me the same thing, with a caveat, that if this isn't feasible they could issue a temporary tag. I contact my local DMV again and they told me the temporary would only be good for 36 Hours. I did call Lyden DMV and they are happy to take my money. All I need is a drivers license. Others have told me to use the tag off my other camper. Good idea to have it while traveling. I pick up my camper in a few weeks. Time will tell.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 - 21'
Thanks - I will call my local DMV again and request the gentleman I talked to before. He was the most knowledgeable, but again he told me I could only get the tag for 36 Hours. I will pester them again and request the typical 60 day temporary. Thanks for your advice.
bhonisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #47

Trailer: 2016 19
After seeing this thread I feared the worst, but smooth sailing registering our soon-to-be-picked-up 19 in Colorado today (Boulder County). As at least one or two others have found, you can register the trailer, pay taxes, and obtain temporary (paper) plates before pick up, then return within 60 days for the VIN inspection.

It helped to have the bill of sale and certificate of origin at the top of my paperwork stack, and also to have converted the Canadian purchase price to USD beforehand (ensure that you are taxed on the USD amount!). But overall no issues or problems, in and out in 45 minutes.

And since this is my first post, here are some photos. Picking up week of 6/27.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02533.jpg (80.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02529.jpg (88.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02535.jpg (48.4 KB, 21 views)
canyonrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the EscapeForum Geoff. Great first post. Always glad to hear when folks are met with success at DMV!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #49

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Welcome Geoff,
With your new '19 I'm certain we have reached critical mass for a Colorado Escape get-together.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Your 19 looks great!!! Love the blue graphic! Enjoy!!

Marry is offline   Reply With Quote