woe of registration - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
We used the plate from our old trailer for the trip home...

I think it's much better to be stopped for no plate than to be stopped for fraudulent use of a plate.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not sure it is fraudulent, Glenn. When you purchase a new car in some states, they routinely transfer the tags and you drive home with just the paperwork, It may take 2-3 week's before you receive your new registration and new title in the mail. You have a choice, you can transfer your old or purchase new. If new they give you a temp paper tag. You have your paperwork with you that leaves a trail. Fraud implies hidden intent...nothing hidden here. As long as the old tag is valid and not expired, you have paid your fees to use that tag.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure it is fraudulent, Glenn. When you purchase a new car in some states, they routinely transfer the tags and you drive home with just the paperwork,
Some states are the important words. In Oregon, the plates belong to the vehicle, not the owner of the vehicle. On the year tab, there's a series of numbers. Those numbers are part of the vehicle registration. They must match: vehicle, license plate and year tab.

Glenn is right... in Oregon "I think it's much better to be stopped for no plate than to be stopped for fraudulent use of a plate."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:33 AM   #64

California is the same way, the tags are registered to the vehicle not the vehicle's owner. Whereas most elsewhere your tags are removed......I have a garage full of motorcycle and car, truck tags, one from my first car in the 60's.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
There is a few states that work that way. some have just come home with no plate. others got a Washington temp plate . But honestly i not sure if that good once you leave Washington. Another option is to overnight the paper work to someone at home to do it and send you a plate back.

https://apps.oria.wa.gov/permithandb...rmitdetail/186
There are states that even that won't work since they require an inspection of the trailer's VIN # by an authority.

It is always worth trying to pre register (with the Escape provided paperwork) at more than one DMV window or office. In my case, the first attempt in NY provided an unusable solution (mail the finished paperwork after crossing the border to us, we will mail you the amount of $ due, mail us a check & we will mail you the plate) while going back to another window at the same DMV the next day gave me a plate (of course after paying the 8% sales tax & $68.00 yearly registration fee...)
Old 06-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #66

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Due to various California incompetencies I drove home and then to Maine with no plates. Never stopped, just kept the bill of sale/import and other paperwork in the big envelope within reach. The plates (thanks to a pal) caught up to me in Bar Harbor three months after pick up, just before I wanted to cross the border into Newfoundland.

I did appreciate the dmv employee who insisted on calculating the sales tax on the base price of the trailer, not including the various add-ons. I did not argue with her.

added, whoa that's a nice price for registration. Mine was $248 this year. I had not realized that the previous A-Frame was under the foot limit and the price was closer to yours and for 5 years.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:01 AM   #67

Wow, $249/per year trailer registration in California? That is high. We only have to pay a $50/year trailer inspection at a shop and $18 registration fee/year. A yearly inspection, albeit inconvenient, can sometimes ward off larger costs down the road, for example bearing and brake issues.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
At least our inspection is cheaper - $6.00 per year...

Cheap because all they check is that you have safety chains & all lighting works.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Iowa
No inspection, The registration is $36.00 per year for the Escape 21. Boat trailer $21.00 and
Utility trailer $20.00. They tried vehicle inspection for cars and trucks some years ago, but it was infected with “good old boy” disease and only lasted a few years.
Iowa Dave