woe of registration - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That is interesting that TX uses the GVWR and not your loaded weight. Of course, if they used the loaded weight, next to no one would get inspected just saying that they had less even if they didn't. Ours also is 4600 even though the website said 4500.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 21, June 8, 2016, "The Final Frontier"
Thanks to all who gave advice, I guess I'm glad I don't live in some of those states!
No answer yet, but I'll give an account when and if we actually get the trailer and get it registered. Or not
Mary Strasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Strasser View Post
The horror stories are just that! Escape tells me folks take their new Escape to Lyden , WA to get it registered. Being Coloradans without a WA state address, this doesn't make sense to me, but I will call and ask. Thinking about taking the Colorado license off our utility trailer and putting that on the Escape! Maybe no one would notice and call the authorities!
Hi Mary,
I have been asking too. Here is how I see it (I'm out of state too - Alaska). If you go to Lyden you can get two 3 day tempory permit per month. Or ... (I think) can register in Wash. state if you plan to house your trailer there ... catch is the 9.2% (or so) Sales Tax. Ouch!

Tom
Old 01-29-2016, 04:31 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I thought that once my trailer was paid for, it would be Vacation Time!!! Wrong, I have run into the VIN inspection boogie man in Alaska and everywhere else I guess. I pick up my trailer in two weeks .... its still winter which gives me the following options:
1) register trailer in Washington state = Sales tax of about $3000. + trailer registration fees = ? I can do this even though I'm a non resident because I have rented a covered storage unit in Bellingham and plan to house my trailer in state for a year. But man that sales tax!

2) Import into Wash., go to Lyden and get two 3 day temp permits, cross back into Canada and drive to Prince Rupert. 1000 mile drive in potentially very cold weather ... like minus 30F. Ferry to Ketchikan to show off my VIN. Get license and back another 1000 miles to Bellingham. Round trip ferry = about $500.00. License fee in Alaska is $26. / year unless strangely you register it as a commercial trailer (office) then its $26.00 for the life of your ownership.
3) Ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan and back ... easy on TV and trailer but costs $1300 each way.
4) Get trailer from Sumas to Bellingham and put in storage .... wait til spring, then vacation drive to some town in Alaska to get license. Danger about waiting too long to license but I just did this with a car and it was 6 months before licensing it in my name in Alaska.... wasn't an issue with DMV or they didn't notice. It may have helped that the previous owners handwriting was pretty hard to read when he signed and dated the title. I'll probably do this option but that ruins my winter vacation plans.

I tried the "go to small town DMV angle" ... but called first as traveling between towns can get expensive in Southeast Alaska. Called all over including Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and California. All had to see the VIN. Then called Sitka as I was feeling warmed up ..... same story but the young clerk did mention that if my trailer was registered in any other state they could issue me plates without having to see my trailer and causing me a lot of expense. When I mentioned that I could bring in my Temp. registration from Wash State ... she said ...No! and then started crying. Sobbing so hard that I couldn't understand her ... something about "I already told you" ... then sobbing really hard. I had to hang up .... and I was thinking how hard it must be to work for DMV.

Tom
Old 01-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Got to be one of the few times I'm glad I live in MA. All I had to do was wait a couple days till they verified ETI was indeed a real company and it was entered into the computer.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
woe of registration

Yet another California DMV tale.... I picked my 17A in June , 2015.. Towed it down to Socal using temp Washington paper tag... Decided to delay the registration due to the 2675.00 that they were going to demand for taxes, penalties etc. Secured an appointment with the DMV in October, took all of my Escape paperwork to them , once there you must check in for your appointment, Two lines of folks, one employee, probably a half-hour wait to check in.. next you are shuffled off to another room where you wait until your number is called ,you go to the appropriate window so that the clerk can process your paperwork.. Clerk seems to not understand what the Escape is . His computer only has pop-up trailers as travel trailers.. Back and forth he travels to his Sup. ... Took a good Hour to finally get this accomplished.. I paid my 2675.00, thought I was through.. But noooo!! Seems I have to bring the Escape to the DMV for Verification.. So must come back and get trailer verified, Come back ,towing trailer through parking lot to rear of DMV.. Verifier finally comes out, starts asking questions , origin, length, weight,looks inside of trailer, disappears into the building, comes back out with tape measure to measure the width of the trailer.. Finally , he seems to be done , gives me back my paper work, now must park T.V. and Escape blocks away(no onsite parking).. Come back into DMV , stand in another line, receive metal plates and temp. registration.. But wait there is more to come
56farmerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56farmerjohn View Post
Yet another California DMV tale.... I picked my 17A in June , 2015.. Towed it down to Socal using temp Washington paper tag... Decided to delay the registration due to the 2675.00 that they were going to demand for taxes, penalties etc. Secured an appointment with the DMV in October, took all of my Escape paperwork to them , once there you must check in for your appointment, Two lines of folks, one employee, probably a half-hour wait to check in.. next you are shuffled off to another room where you wait until your number is called ,you go to the appropriate window so that the clerk can process your paperwork.. Clerk seems to not understand what the Escape is . His computer only has pop-up trailers as travel trailers.. Back and forth he travels to his Sup. ... Took a good Hour to finally get this accomplished.. I paid my 2675.00, thought I was through.. But noooo!! Seems I have to bring the Escape to the DMV for Verification.. So must come back and get trailer verified, Come back ,towing trailer through parking lot to rear of DMV.. Verifier finally comes out, starts asking questions , origin, length, weight,looks inside of trailer, disappears into the building, comes back out with tape measure to measure the width of the trailer.. Finally , he seems to be done , gives me back my paper work, now must park T.V. and Escape blocks away(no onsite parking).. Come back into DMV , stand in another line, receive metal plates and temp. registration.. But wait there is more to come
OMG, anybody have any experience with South Dakota rules? We live in Ohio but are considering doing full time with a domicile in SD.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
registration woes (continued)

A few weeks later , I receive a letter from the DMV stating that somehow the the"Verifyer" had left the information for "length and width blank.. Now I must go back to DMV, find a verifier and go through the process again so that I can get the legal title to the Escape... ARGGHH!!! Sorry for the long rant and post , but the incompetence at the DMV just burns me up....
56farmerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I thought that once my trailer was paid for, it would be Vacation Time!!! Wrong, I have run into the VIN inspection boogie man in Alaska and everywhere else I guess. I pick up my trailer in two weeks .... its still winter which gives me the following options:
1) register trailer in Washington state = Sales tax of about $3000. + trailer registration fees = ? I can do this even though I'm a non resident because I have rented a covered storage unit in Bellingham and plan to house my trailer in state for a year. But man that sales tax!

2) Import into Wash., go to Lyden and get two 3 day temp permits, cross back into Canada and drive to Prince Rupert. 1000 mile drive in potentially very cold weather ... like minus 30F. Ferry to Ketchikan to show off my VIN. Get license and back another 1000 miles to Bellingham. Round trip ferry = about $500.00. License fee in Alaska is $26. / year unless strangely you register it as a commercial trailer (office) then its $26.00 for the life of your ownership.
3) Ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan and back ... easy on TV and trailer but costs $1300 each way.
4) Get trailer from Sumas to Bellingham and put in storage .... wait til spring, then vacation drive to some town in Alaska to get license. Danger about waiting too long to license but I just did this with a car and it was 6 months before licensing it in my name in Alaska.... wasn't an issue with DMV or they didn't notice. It may have helped that the previous owners handwriting was pretty hard to read when he signed and dated the title. I'll probably do this option but that ruins my winter vacation plans.

I tried the "go to small town DMV angle" ... but called first as traveling between towns can get expensive in Southeast Alaska. Called all over including Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and California. All had to see the VIN. Then called Sitka as I was feeling warmed up ..... same story but the young clerk did mention that if my trailer was registered in any other state they could issue me plates without having to see my trailer and causing me a lot of expense. When I mentioned that I could bring in my Temp. registration from Wash State ... she said ...No! and then started crying. Sobbing so hard that I couldn't understand her ... something about "I already told you" ... then sobbing really hard. I had to hang up .... and I was thinking how hard it must be to work for DMV.

Tom
Tom, ten minutes with the Escape supplied paperwork at the Anchorage DMV and we had the plates in hand. The hardest part was deciding which design to go with. (Went with "The Last Frontier"). Wonder why Juneau would be different? Scott

Scott and Lori

Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
The way I read the TX requirement on the safety inspection, it's the GVWR 4500 lbs. or above.
You're right about the weight, Mary. I suppose I shouldn't go from memory - since it doesn't appear to be working properly anymore...
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #31

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
(snip) Then called Sitka as I was feeling warmed up ..... same story but the young clerk did mention that if my trailer was registered in any other state they could issue me plates without having to see my trailer and causing me a lot of expense. When I mentioned that I could bring in my Temp. registration from Wash State ... she said ...No! and then started crying. Sobbing so hard that I couldn't understand her ... something about "I already told you" ... then sobbing really hard. I had to hang up .... and I was thinking how hard it must be to work for DMV.

Tom
Wow, she must really not like Washington State at all. Maybe she's a big Seahawks fan and they had just lost.

You also have to consider how much your time is worth if you have to haul it AK and back. What a PITA.

I'm hoping that since so many Escapes have been sold in WA state that it'll be really easy when we go to register it. Fingers crossed!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #32
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Every state is different of course, but here in Texas the requirements do not include a safety inspection unless the trailer's dry weight is over 4000 lbs.
That might have been the case for you, but as I said in post #2 of this thread - as of three weeks ago, the Auto Theft Task Force inspection is not enough in Texas. They require a safety inspection as well - and I reported the weight of my trailer (fully loaded at time of weight) as 3800lbs.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56farmerjohn View Post
Very similar . Looks like nothing has changed . 3 DMV trips about 8-81/2 hours total at DMV , waiting time for us . Don't forget they laid off people and cut their hours down . Luckily let us move trailer on side of building . Just had to wait another 3 months to be legal and another 6 months to get 52.00 over payment from check on fees . Keep AAA just to not have to go to DMV again . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Laura - it was a piece of cake - in fact got our plates in Mt Vernon a day after it was brought across the border. We purchased a temporary license (good for 3 days) in Spokane ahead of time with the paperwork Tammy had sent. Only glitch we ran into is that they didn't take a credit card and we had left the check book at home!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Importing and registering a USED trailer gets even more complicated. Digits have been known to disappear from the bill of sale for such convoluted, expensive registration procedures.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
That might have been the case for you, but as I said in post #2 of this thread - as of three weeks ago, the Auto Theft Task Force inspection is not enough in Texas. They require a safety inspection as well - and I reported the weight of my trailer (fully loaded at time of weight) as 3800lbs.
It's actually 4500 lbs Gross weight, as another poster corrected earlier. They tried to get us to do a safety inspection too - until I handed them a form VTR 141 with the following language on it:

"A travel trailer or park model trailer .... is required to pass a Texas Safety Inspection if the gross weight of the travel trailer exceeds 4,500 lbs., before it may be titled or registered in Texas."

There's no requirement for trailers under 4500 lbs. If they "made" you do it anyway, they weren't following the law. Lastly, the weight is determined by what's on the MCOO - not an owner declared weight.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 15A
Any helpful suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Importing and registering a USED trailer gets even more complicated. Digits have been known to disappear from the bill of sale for such convoluted, expensive registration procedures.
My husband and I are about to become the proud second owners of a 15A, but this thread has me concerned about transporting our new baby home with the proper tags, temporary or otherwise. I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to get a straight answer out of the Alaska DMV (shaking head). Any relevant suggestions?
Travelhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Where are you picking up your trailer? (Congratulations, by the way.)

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhappy View Post
My husband and I are about to become the proud second owners of a 15A, but this thread has me concerned about transporting our new baby home with the proper tags, temporary or otherwise. I have spent a good part of the afternoon trying to get a straight answer out of the Alaska DMV (shaking head). Any relevant suggestions?
Welcome to the club!

You do not say where the trailer is currently registered. Canada or another state? The problem is usually with first owners and usually because of importation from Canada.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I helped a friend buy a used Scamp in Ontario, Canada last year. Exchanged the US cash for Canadian at the border, went with the owner to an Ontario equivalent of the DMV to sign over the registration & buy a temporary tag for around $20.00.

At the border handed the US side a pre filled out 7510 form, and 5 minutes (and no charges) later we were in the US. Registered at the nearest DMV, and had to pay sales tax & registration fee, got the plate.

While it may be more difficult in other states, this was NY.