wow- solar blew off! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
wow- solar blew off!

man am I disappointed with my "build quality" right now. I just noticed my solar panel is GONE. I saw the wires sticking up so I climbed up and found this! The panel is totally gone. The bond between the gel coat and the framework of the panel totally parted. ETI better figure out a better bond than this! fuming in Pennsylvania....

steve

http://www.escapeforum.org/attachmen...85a1169789.jpg
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: wannabe
What year is your trailer ? Will warranty cover this?sorry I hope this gets fixed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
bigalaska2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Escape sent out free bolt-down kits to all owners last year as the problem surfaced (mostly side winds could get under the panel.) If you bought yours new you should have received one. It was discussed at length in this forum.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Here is the initial thread that resulted in the kits being sent out by ETI to the owners too far away to go to Chilliwack for the fix. The solar panels have been bolted down on new trailers ever since this incident.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...-off-5742.html

It should be noted that the thread quickly veered off the original topic.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Five years after the build? Hummmm. I have friends that bought a "stick built" trailer and the whole trailer was totaled (by the insurance company) after five years because of LEAKS. They're now ETI built trailer owners.... just sayin'
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We haven't used our bolt down kits but check the panel every time we gas up.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 17
2012 Escape 19 was VHB tape used steve? Sure glad mine is Bolted down. Did you get your Bolt down kit? or maybe you are not the original owner? Link didnt work on my desktop here
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Gotta disagree with you on this one Donna. I don't think that it's the age that's the issue. From my point of view it was a poor decision to rely only on an adhesive to hold on a solar panel. The owner is lucky that he discovered the issue in a bland way and not because it came loose and killed occupants of a following car.

Hopefully the current owners of these glued on panels will learn of the recall and bolt them on before innocent people are hurt.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
From my point of view it was a poor decision to rely only on an adhesive to hold on a solar panel.
I may be wrong but wasn't it the industry standard at the time?

Regardless, it is an extremely unfortunate incident but so fortunate in that no one was hurt.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I may be wrong but wasn't it the industry standard at the time?
Precisely and how many of those other companies offered repair/reinforcement kits and instructions?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The boat folks here probably know more, but from what I could find when I looked before, aluminum just doesn't chemically bond very well.

In both this example, and the one from a couple years ago, the epoxy looks smeared.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Gotta disagree with you on this one Donna. I don't think that it's the age that's the issue. From my point of view it was a poor decision to rely only on an adhesive to hold on a solar panel. The owner is lucky that he discovered the issue in a bland way and not because it came loose and killed occupants of a following car.

Hopefully the current owners of these glued on panels will learn of the recall and bolt them on before innocent people are hurt.

Ron
You may disagree as much as you want. I only provided a fact and it had to do with a five-year-old stick built trailer. Yes, ETI provided a bolt-on solution to the solar panel that was originally glued on with epoxy. There's a long thread about it. I feel bad for the OP, but at what point does personal responsibility (I've never waxed my trailer and the gelcoat is toast) become paramount? We often talk about how much better fiberglass trailers are than the fiberglass panel stick built trailers... but everything wears out in life. All I can say... is pay attention. I wish you well.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
A VHB process has been used at AM solar for years with no reports of failure. ETI didn't use VHB if I recall, but used epoxy which has to be mixed and applied perfectly or it can fail.
I agree with Ron, first thing that came to mind was that I pray no one got injured when that panel went sailing since the owner had no idea it separated. The bigger issue here is the potential risk to have injuries or death occur and I hope there are not more of these epoxied units running around.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We haven't used our bolt down kits but check the panel every time we gas up.
I haven't used mine either, but I check the panel before leaving on a trip. I'm sure that's not often enough, but it would be a pain to drag out a step ladder and shake the panel every time I gas up. How do you check yours when you stop for gas? Would poking it with a broomstick be enough?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When there is a recall, you take your vehicle in to be fixed, right. So why would you not use the kit, provided by the manufacturer to fix a known issue? You are risking others by not taking proper known procedures to make sure your solar is secure. Use the kit.....checking does not prevent failure, bolts will.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
ETI checked my panel when I had the trailer in to swap out the fridge. They said it was okay.

I was (and am) reluctant to drill in fiberglass because I have no experience doing so, and the last place I'd want to screw up is on the roof.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
A VHB process has been used at AM solar for years with no reports of failure. ETI didn't use VHB if I recall, but used epoxy which has to be mixed and applied perfectly or it can fail.
I agree with Ron, first thing that came to mind was that I pray no one got injured when that panel went sailing since the owner had no idea it separated. The bigger issue here is the potential risk to have injuries or death occur and I hope there are not more of these epoxied units running around.
If the epoxy held to the gel coat but the gel coat separated from the substrate , how would VHB tape be any better. The weak link appears to be the gel coat.
The only way I can see to properly attach a roof top solar panel is to glass in blocking in the roof and then attach the rails with both mechanical fasteners and adhesive
A portable solar panel seems to be the safest and more efficient option at this point in time
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When there is a recall, you take your vehicle in to be fixed, right. So why would you not use the kit, provided by the manufacturer to fix a known issue? You are risking others by not taking proper known procedures to make sure your solar is secure. Use the kit.....checking does not prevent failure, bolts will.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In my opinion - I agree.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
ETI checked my panel when I had the trailer in to swap out the fridge. They said it was okay.

I was (and am) reluctant to drill in fiberglass because I have no experience doing so, and the last place I'd want to screw up is on the roof.
One thing you want to consider, Mike. If your panel goes sailing and injures or kills someone or even causes property damage the lawyers and insurance co will look for who's got liability. Having been notified by the mfgr and sent recall kit will help mitigate ETI's liability. Finding that the kit was not installed by the trailer owner as instructed will put the liability on the trailer owner. If you have in writing, or a witness that ETI told you you did not need to install the kit, then it is more back on them again. Most likely though your trailer insurance will refuse to pay any claims if the recall wasn't followed and you may be held personally liable. If anything happens it would most certainly not be a fun mess.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote