Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f12/)
-   -   Lower insulation on the Escape 21' (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f12/lower-insulation-on-the-escape-21-a-11639.html)

godspeed 11-11-2017 08:14 PM

Lower insulation on the Escape 21'

We are ordering our new Escape 21' and have opted for the insulation and double pane windows. Does anyone have the lower insulation package? We are thinking to do some winter camping once in awhile. Would appreciate any feedback on this option. Does it work better. Is it worth the extra money?

thiggins 11-11-2017 08:30 PM

We ordered it, and we pickup our 21 in June. I know from camping in our Casita that the floor will get pretty dang cold, even in not-so-cold weather.

Losangeles 11-11-2017 11:14 PM

we got the under body insulation on our 21'

so glad we did

cooler in summer

warmer in winter

the floor is substantially warmer than without it, for sure, i'm confident.

a bit quieter inside - because... physics!

adds about 40 lbs... i'm ok with that.

also protects some things a bit from road gators.

also helps keep things from freezing when hovering just below freezing.

however some people dont like it as in the unlikely event you need to fix something in the belly, it is covered in foam.

I'm ok with it... as they take photos of the belly before foam goes on (althought i asked them to just in case - as a reminder)

and the foam could be cut away as need be.

:thumb:

john

wdr2 11-12-2017 10:07 AM

During our first significant outing in our 2012 19 Escape, we woke up to 2in of snow (Arches National Park) and a very cold floor. When Escape started offering the spray foam insulation, we stopped by Chilliwack and had the foam installed. The trailer floor was much warmer. As a bonus, the insulation reduces outside noise. We pick up our new 21 in 2 weeks and yes we ordered the foam insulation.

John in Santa Cruz 01-10-2018 06:57 AM

to dredge up an older thread...

has anyone had any maintenance issues aggravated by the foam? for instance, tracing down propane or water leaks?

padlin 01-10-2018 09:03 AM

I had to cut some off to replace a broken holding tank gate. Not hard to remove, taping up and spraying replacement foam back on was a bit of a pain though. The foam added a few hours to the job.

AllanEdie 01-10-2018 11:19 AM

We will be ordering it on our 2018 21. As others have mentioned, it can be cut away for repair work. On the other hand, it may protect things enough to avoid some repairs...

I would be more concerned that having it cover things might complicate location of leaks, but am hopeful that knowing exactly where stuff is beneath it will assist with that issue.

One other issue that comes to mind, unfortunately, is that if the foam separates from copper propane lines, and water gets in there, odds are high that this will result in corrosion of the copper and eventual perforation of the tube. Been close to that issue with our camper. Any experience here with that issue? It would take several years.

cpaharley2008 01-10-2018 11:31 AM

Copper does not rust and the propane lines underneath maybe cast pipe with copper only inside?

padlin 01-10-2018 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is pre foam, the lines look to be copper covered with what looks like plastic wire loom.

AllanEdie 01-10-2018 12:45 PM

Actually, copper does corrode, it just requires trace amounts of acid in the water. The copper condensate line on the high efficiency furnace in our house failed completely from this problem. By the time the issue was detected, portions of the line were almost completely dissolved. The acid apparently was generated simply from interior air in the house which contaminated the condensate forming on the condenser. I would guess that this condensate water would be a fair bit cleaner than the stuff coming off a road surface.

In the camper, the propane line was laid across the top of our plastic water tank, which has a slightly concave surface which apparently would collect condensation at times - there was certainly no other source of moisture that I could detect - the tank is in the interior of the camper with no possible moisture source other than condensation. Where the copper line touched the concave surface, the surface of the tank had an area with heavy green stain from copper corrosion, and the copper line was pitted. It had not yet perforated, and the pitting didn't seem deep enough yet to be a hazard, so I simply bent the line to lift it away from the surface of the tank, and put supports under it to keep it lifted. Had I not found and corrected the issue when I did, I am sure that the line would have eventually failed from corrosion exactly as the line on our furnace did. Presumably, contamination of the condensation on the tank also came from interior air.

I will be paying careful attention to the location and material used for the foamed in propane lines on our 21. Fortunately for me, and less so for long term owners who purchase the trailer from us some time down the road, failure of the copper lines is unlikely to happen soon enough to occur while I own the trailer.