Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Cyber Campfire (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f41/)
-   -   Roller Bed for Pick Up Truck (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f41/roller-bed-for-pick-up-truck-12135.html)

StarvingHyena 01-22-2018 04:57 PM

Roller Bed for Pick Up Truck

I'm thinking I'd like to put in a roller bed for the back of my Tacoma. Objective: Is to make stuff stored back there more accessible ... easier on and off and better organized.

Anyone here install one? What brand? Do you like it? I think I want a full extension but then the deck can get a little high .... maybe 75% extension would be good enough (?) and lower.

Likely, would need to unhitch to roll out .... thinking that would work ...

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Tom

Vermilye 01-22-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarvingHyena (Post 234063)
I'm thinking I'd like to put in a roller bed for the back of my Tacoma. Objective: Is to make stuff stored back there more accessible ... easier on and off and better organized.

Anyone here install one? What brand? Do you like it? I think I want a full extension but then the deck can get a little high .... maybe 75% extension would be good enough (?) and lower.

Likely, would need to unhitch to roll out .... thinking that would work ...

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Tom

I thought about one, but instead went with a topper with opening side windows. The advantage is you don't have to unhook to get at things.

Eggscape 01-22-2018 05:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I made one out of a good sheet of plywood and 8 wheels from Princes Auto. I need something to attach my generator to and have it roll out to operate...that was my goal. It also exposes the stuff under the cross bed tool box. Having 8 wheels it does roll out beyond the end of the tailgate. How far depends on how it is loaded. It is easily removed...rolls on the front wheels like a wheel barrel...and stands on its end tied to the garage wall. It lets us use the AC to cool the trailer down for lunch when we are traveling. I estimate the cost to be around $50 CAD.

RL Campers 02-15-2018 01:38 PM

Check out Marathon Manufacturing smart box, they are located in Edmonton, Alberta but have US distribution.

Brian B-P 02-15-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL Campers (Post 237178)
Check out Marathon Manufacturing smart box, they are located in Edmonton, Alberta but have US distribution.

Interesting. They have a local operation, but I had not heard of this product:
Smart Boxx

craiginpetaluma 02-15-2018 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermilye (Post 234073)
I thought about one, but instead went with a topper with opening side windows. The advantage is you don't have to unhook to get at things.

I had rolling bed insert once. For the most part worked well except If on a big enough slope opening and closing was a challenge.

RL Campers 02-15-2018 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian B-P (Post 237186)
Interesting. They have a local operation, but I had not heard of this product:
Smart Boxx

They have been around for some time. I have the smart box In my 2016 Tundra, works great for my needs.
Not cheap but a quality product.

Jim Bennett 02-15-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL Campers (Post 237197)
Not cheap but a quality product.

Pretty much true of any product. I am always willing to pay more for something that is built to last and operates well.

Brian B-P 02-15-2018 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma (Post 237187)
I had rolling bed insert once. For the most part worked well except If on a big enough slope opening and closing was a challenge.

Nothing a motor couldn't fix ;)

tractors1 02-16-2018 12:12 AM

Once I figured out needs, everything went in tote boxes. The lighter ones go in front of the Tacoma bed and have a rope on them to haul them to the back. Heavy stuff (like generator) is up against the tailgate. I prefer a hard bed topper instead of a taller one for the visibility.