Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Towing and Hitching (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/)
-   -   Jeep Grand Cherokee as Tow Vehicle (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/jeep-grand-cherokee-as-tow-vehicle-13814.html)

RHStools 09-05-2018 04:32 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee as Tow Vehicle

After much research I bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is a great car. It can pull 6200 Lbs and comes with a full size spare. I plan to tow a 17' Escape. What recommendations for the Hitch and sway bars does anyone have when using this as a TV? What experiences do other Grand Cherokee owners have when towing?

Nindy 09-05-2018 05:39 PM

Excellent choice. I love my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee tow vehicle. It's the diesel model and pulls my 17B like it's not even there. Gets decent mileage too - 17 to 20 while towing depending on the wind. The 4WD has got me out of several bad situations too, sometimes in places without a phone signal.

I've had trouble finding side mirror attachments that fit so have the McKesh mirrors that hook onto the door and window frame. Probably don't really need them but I like to see who's behind me.

I have the standard equalizer hitch that was offered in 2015. I think it drives more stable using it than without.

That full size spare is very nice and I've had to use it. Extremely heavy - took me a while to wrestle it out of the back after moving dogs and crates out of the way. Once I had the flat off someone came along to help me finish it.

RHStools 09-05-2018 09:46 PM

Thanks so much! I was thinking of getting the rear camera on the 17B which I am told I could view if necessary. I have the gas model so I suspect that gas mileage will be less than the diesel. What about the hitch, though? Do you have a weight distribution hitch and sway bars? The Jeep supposedly has some form of weight distribution built in because they stiffened the rear suspension on the Limited model. Hills and mountains don't cause you any problems? How about at higher altitudes?

Nindy 09-06-2018 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I do have a weight distribution hitch. Maybe you can zoom in on this picture to see it. Hills, no problem. Haven't been at higher altitudes or in the mountains yet but lots of hilly areas.

Yeah, I've never found much information on the Jeep built-in weight distribution and tried to get info on whether or not the hitch and the Jeep were playing well together on that or at odds with each other. Drives fine, so whatever, I guess. The Jeep has that hydraulic lift thing going on where it automatically lowers the vehicle for entry and exit and raises it and tilts the front for aerodynamics while driving.

Brian B-P 09-06-2018 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHStools (Post 261753)
The Jeep supposedly has some form of weight distribution built in because they stiffened the rear suspension on the Limited model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nindy (Post 261759)
Yeah, I've never found much information on the Jeep built-in weight distribution...
The Jeep has that hydraulic lift thing going on where it automatically lowers the vehicle for entry and exit and raises it and tilts the front for aerodynamics while driving.

No, weight distribution cannot be changed by suspension. What it might have is an adjustable suspension (although in a Grand Cherokee that would be Quadra-Lift air suspension - nothing hydraulic - which starts with the Trailhawk), which can be very beneficial in helping the tow vehicle to handle weight on the hitch, but nothing the tow vehicle has will have the effect of a weight-distributing hitch system.

dkirk 09-06-2018 11:26 AM

Jeep GC

We tow a 19 with a v6 gas Grand Cherokee with no problems on flat ground or in the Rocky Mountains. The trailer tow package includes self levelling shocks (not air suspension) and anti sway logic. 80,000 plus kilometers with no mechanical issues. We do not use a weight distribution hitch or anti sway. Although I have mirror extensions and a backup camera for the back of the trailer, I do not use either.

cpaharley2008 09-06-2018 11:33 AM

I just looked at Jeep's website and the max they show for towing is 4400#, can't find anything higher? On edit, sorry I was at Cherokee vs Grand Cherokee website which does have the higher numbers.

dkirk 09-06-2018 11:38 AM

Jeep GC

6200 for the V6. 7200 for the V8

Nindy 09-06-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkirk (Post 261787)
6200 for the V6. 7200 for the V8

And 7,200 for my 3.0L Diesel.

Nindy 09-06-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian B-P (Post 261763)
No, weight distribution cannot be changed by suspension. What it might have is an adjustable suspension (although in a Grand Cherokee that would be Quadra-Lift air suspension - nothing hydraulic - which starts with the Trailhawk), which can be very beneficial in helping the tow vehicle to handle weight on the hitch, but nothing the tow vehicle has will have the effect of a weight-distributing hitch system.

Thanks, that's it, Brian. It has the Quadra-Lift air suspension system which "provides full time load leveling capability with the benefit of being able to adjust vehicle height by the push of a button."