Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Towing and Hitching (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/)
-   -   Trailering Mirrors (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f10/trailering-mirrors-1781.html)

gpmckerracher 10-02-2012 08:37 AM

Trailering Mirrors

I tow a 31 ft trailer with a GMC HD2500 and am using clip-on mirror extensions (from Walmart). Even after towing for over 8000 miles, I'm still nervous making lane changes as I just can't see traffic very well behind me. I'm thinking if I purchased new mirrors that would extend out further, my rear sighting would be better. I've read that McKesh and Grand Aero are a good choice. All comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Gregg (Ontario, Canada)

Vermilye 10-02-2012 09:10 AM

Re: Trailering Mirrors

I tried a couple of different extension mirrors and like the Grand Aero best.

dave macrae 10-02-2012 09:53 AM

what year is your truck? I Have the gm factory manual extendable mirrors off of a 2007 sierra classic ( 2000-2007 ) and I really like them, like you I have tried the clip on style with little success. You do have to re-program both the door modules and the bcm if you swap mirrors.

cpaharley2008 10-02-2012 12:20 PM

I did not know Escape made a 31' trailer?

dave macrae 10-02-2012 01:26 PM

Maybee its a 17 and 15 ft hooked together, oops that would be 32 ft > ;D

escape artist 10-02-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmac
Maybee its a 17 and 15 ft hooked together, oops that would be 32 ft > ;D

Hi: Dmac... Maybee it's the other Escape model by KZ??? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie ;)

keager 10-04-2012 11:24 AM

I have the McKesh mirors and really like them. They are large enough to give good visibility and are very stable (no blurry vibrations). Once you get them adjusted to your liking, they come off easily and return to the exact same place when you put them back on. They are somewhat "spendy", but, worth it to me.

Bill

TurboFlex 10-04-2012 11:17 PM

I've just purchased a set of Milenco Grand Aero towing mirrors. I've used various strap on types and fender mounted mirrors for the last 30 yrs and have not found any that I really liked. Just put the trailer to bed for the winter (winterized and took out all food items and cleaned it up just before our first snow fall here in Calgary) so won't be towing it till the spring to see how well the new mirrors will work, but they will be better than the strap ons I've used for the last few years.

I did put the Grand Aero mirrors on and took the Flex down the hwy and went up to 140 kph and had no vibration or movement in the mirrors. As I don't pull the trailer over 100 kph, they should work well. With the strap on mirrors, they would move any time a large truck would go by in the other direction no matter how tight the straps were adjusted. These mirrors are fairly expensive ($150.00 + at Woody's RV in Calgary). They say that they sell a lot of them and have not complaints (other than price) about the mirrors. Milenco link posted below

http://www.milenco.com/products/mirr...-towing-mirror

TurboFlex

LBaranyai 06-12-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboFlex (Post 19132)
I've just purchased a set of Milenco Grand Aero towing mirrors. I've used various strap on types and fender mounted mirrors for the last 30 yrs and have not found any that I really liked. Just put the trailer to bed for the winter (winterized and took out all food items and cleaned it up just before our first snow fall here in Calgary) so won't be towing it till the spring to see how well the new mirrors will work, but they will be better than the strap ons I've used for the last few years.

I did put the Grand Aero mirrors on and took the Flex down the hwy and went up to 140 kph and had no vibration or movement in the mirrors. As I don't pull the trailer over 100 kph, they should work well. With the strap on mirrors, they would move any time a large truck would go by in the other direction no matter how tight the straps were adjusted. These mirrors are fairly expensive ($150.00 + at Woody's RV in Calgary). They say that they sell a lot of them and have not complaints (other than price) about the mirrors. Milenco link posted below

Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK

TurboFlex

The aero mirrors are now available on the costco.ca website under rv accessories - at a much better price too! We bought the Grand Aero's for our Tacoma 2 years ago when we got our Escape and they work great!

Dave Walter 06-12-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBaranyai (Post 27105)
The aero mirrors are now available on the costco.ca website under rv accessories - at a much better price too! We bought the Grand Aero's for our Tacoma 2 years ago when we got our Escape and they work great!

Got mine at Costco several weeks ago. Shipping was free and they got here within about 3 days of purchase.