Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   General Escape (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/)
-   -   Trailer cover (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/trailer-cover-1889.html)

Janet W 11-11-2012 04:06 PM

Trailer cover

Hi All,
Looking for thoughts and advice / suggestion on trailer covers. We live in Port Moody BC and so we do get a fair amount of rain and even some snow. Are they an absolute necessity?
I look forward to reading word of wisdom!
cheers, Janet

gbaglo 11-11-2012 04:21 PM

Is it going to be stored under a tree? Mine is under a cedar and I sometimes wish I had a trailer cover to block sap and leaves, but Toad will be naked for yet another year.
Next time you drive through Chilliwack, count how many trailer covers you see on all those new trailers for sale at the dealerships.
I think a good coat of wax is what's called for.

woodie 11-11-2012 04:44 PM

Hi
I'm kind of interested also in a cover of some kind.What do others use or does someone know were to buy something specific for the trailer.I have the 15'. I live close to a lumber mill and through the winter things get coated in a black dust that when it rains, it runs down the side of the trailer in streaks and is difficult to wash off.And it's pretty hard to wax the roof.

hotfishtacos 11-11-2012 05:17 PM

The primary materials that covers are made from are Tyvek and Sunbrella. I've heard that Tyvek lasts about 2 years exposed to the elements and Sunbrella lasts about 4 to 6 years. You also pay more for Sunbrella. I ordered Sunbrella to protect my trailer which is what my boat cover is made from and is holding up well on it's third year.

gabeck 11-11-2012 05:22 PM

Hi , we picked up " our little Gem " in August and did buy what may have been the last - or at least the last trailer cover (at Escape Trailers ) for a 15 ftEscape to go with it . It is great - decent quality and not difficult to put on . For our previous trailers we used a tarp for winter storage - not as easy to put on but it also worked well and it really does make a difference when they were covered for the winter , just a lot easier to clean up in spring ( actually keeps it pretty clean ).

Janet W 11-11-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotfishtacos (Post 20353)
The primary materials that covers are made from are Tyvek and Sunbrella. I've heard that Tyvek lasts about 2 years exposed to the elements and Sunbrella lasts about 4 to 6 years. You also pay more for Sunbrella. I ordered Sunbrella to protect my trailer which is what my boat cover is made from and is holding up well on it's third year.

When you say you ordered Sunbrella did you have the cover made?

gabeck 11-11-2012 05:25 PM

Curiosity ..... says my posting time up there is 11:22 pm - it is actually 4:24 pm right now .... I wonder if there is something I need to do ?

Janet W 11-11-2012 05:27 PM

Yes Glen the mos t likely spot will be under a tree...maple and an evergreen.

KarenH 11-11-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabeck (Post 20356)
Curiosity ..... says my posting time up there is 11:22 pm - it is actually 4:24 pm right now .... I wonder if there is something I need to do ?

Go into your profile and scroll down to settings and options... "Edit Options." Go all the way down the page to set your time zone variance from GMT.

gbaglo 11-11-2012 05:34 PM

What worries me, and it's not going to be alleviated by a trailer cover, is a branch coming down in a heavy snow fall. We had one take out our power lines a few years ago. Took four days for Hydro to show up and do the repair. Meantime, we had no heat.
I'm going to be prepared to haul Toad out to the street if conditions suggest I should. For one thing, it's my emergency shelter.