Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f21/)
-   -   Cookware and such (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f21/cookware-and-such-3194.html)

CADreamin 01-02-2014 11:07 AM

Cookware and such

Looking at options for cookware for our Escape. I would normally just use odds and ends; however, I'm thinking about nesting cookware that might fit better. I was looking at the Texsport Black Ice, but wanted to get some input from others. Anyone have any favorites/thoughts when it comes to cookware?

Jan

jamman 01-02-2014 11:22 AM

Cooking with backpacking cookware is challenging IMHO - things burn really easily, the handles are flimsy, and the pans are small. We prefer a small set of "regular" pans which nest somewhat - I think we have these or something similar: REVERE 8-pc Non-Stick Aluminum Cookware Set : Amazon.com : Home & Kitchen

santacruzer 01-02-2014 11:35 AM

This will likely evolve into personal choices depending on how you cook! I started with the aluminum stuff left over from my backpacking/tent camping days; we're now using a nicer nesting set of stainless steel that I got at REI. Pricey, but so much better for cooking than aluminum! I still carry one small aluminum pot, and a larger teflon frying pan, and a medium sized dutch oven. It's the other cooking stuff that you'll want to consider, too...steamer basket, strainer, whisks, cocktail shaker...

Bob

padlin 01-02-2014 11:44 AM

Try looking at nesting sets for boats, like this site.

Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware Sets, Non Stick Cookware | Galleyware Company

dbailey 01-02-2014 11:51 AM

Those sets from Galleyware look excellent... But, for the moment, we're making do with various extras.

We did finally ditch the old enameled metal plates and plastic bowls, and got some corelle. Weight isn't quite the issue it used to be (even car camping we used to be careful of weight to avoid overloading the kitchen bins).

I need to come up with a good way of storing the plates and other things in the overhead cabinet so they're always accessible, efficient in terms of space consumed, and stable "in flight".

cpaharley2008 01-02-2014 11:56 AM

I avoid putting heavy stuff in the o/h cabinets. I utilized the under sink for pots/pans and wheel wells for enamel plates. Paper and plastic goods go in my o/h bins.

CADreamin 01-02-2014 12:08 PM

I've looked at the Magma cookware and wondered whether it was worth the price. I use stainless at home and it's a bit heavy; however, the marine grade or REI camping grade stainless might be more do-able (I'm convinced ours was made for body-builders). Thanks to all for your answers as it really helps in the decision-making process to know what other find useful ... and why.
Jan

Jim Bennett 01-02-2014 12:11 PM

We bought this nesting set of Magma cookware a year ago. Though pricey, it is very high quality. Lots of pots too. We actually eliminated all our other stovetop cookware, and a couple mixing/serving bowls too. It really is nice and compact when nested.

A10-365L

CADreamin 01-02-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bennett (Post 41111)
We bought this nesting set of Magma cookware a year ago. Though pricey, it is very high quality. Lots of pots too. We actually eliminated all our other stovetop cookware, and a couple mixing/serving bowls too. It really is nice and compact when nested.

A10-365L

Thanks. I may have to give Magma/stainless a closer look.

Ruthe 01-02-2014 01:28 PM

Does anyone use cast iron? I know it is heavy, but it's what I mostly use at home.