Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners helping each other (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/)
-   -   CO Sensor (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/co-sensor-4170.html)

currinh 07-11-2014 07:48 PM

CO Sensor

A funny thing happened bringing our new (to us) 19 home. The CO sensor went off while in a campground. I couldn't smell any gas and think it was a false alarm.

Now Cooper, the larger of our two Labradoodles, was laying on the floor near the sensor at the time. The only thing we can think of is Coopers letting of gas set of the sensor. Is this possible? Anyone else had a similar experience?

True of not, it gave us a good laugh.

KarenH 07-11-2014 08:42 PM

The sensor monitors carbon monoxide (odorless) but the dog would be exhaling carbon dioxide or emitting methane. Regardless, I don't think the alarm should be ignored if it should go off again. (But they sometimes are extremely sensitive.)

It's always good to blame the dog! :D

Cypherian 07-11-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenH (Post 58874)
The sensor monitors carbon monoxide (odorless) but the dog would be exhaling carbon dioxide or emitting methane. Regardless, I don't think the alarm should be ignored if it should go off again. (But they sometimes are extremely sensitive.)

It's always good to blame the dog! :D

As long as you have a dog .......:} Oh and it is nearby... :}

KarenH 07-11-2014 08:47 PM

Nothing to fool around with:

Carbon monoxide poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

techfan 07-11-2014 09:40 PM

I believe in looking at my documentation that ETI installs a dual alarm that monitors both carbon monoxide AND propane. Previous threads have indicated that gaseous critters or critters who block the sensor may set it off. As mentioned earlier, continued alarms should not be ignored.

Brian B-P 07-11-2014 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenH (Post 58874)
The sensor monitors carbon monoxide ...

Which is CO, rather than CO2 (carbon dioxide).
Hugh, if you can change the title you might want to change "CO2" to "CO" to reduce confusion.

gbaglo 07-11-2014 10:11 PM

Fixed it.
Had to or it was going to keep driving me crazy.

Rossue 07-11-2014 10:33 PM

Our previous 2010 17B went off maybe three times over the last ten months. Random- usually when we couldn't get the trigger lighter to light so we could light the stove, resulting in LP gas smell.

KarenH 07-11-2014 10:59 PM

My book is in my trailer so can't check it, but doesn't the alarm emit two different sounds, one for propane and one for carbon monoxide? Or am I just living on a different planet again?

currinh 07-12-2014 12:10 AM

I'm likely mistaken (memory: a thing I used to have). I do remember thinking I couldn't smell anything and should have, so likely the propane sensor rather than CO. Methane/Propane, one carbon/three carbon, 6/half dozen, same thing right? But then, should have smelled something if the dog went off also? Google search of the Internet indicates our dog could be the cause, and I always believe the Internet 'cuz they have to tell the truth. But then I've been known to confuse CO and CO2, go figure.

Karen: When it went off I dug out the manual and yes it senses CO and Propane, same unit. Not sure the sounds are different but different lights come on.

Tim and Julie: Thanks for confirming it really could be the dog (if I'd doubted the Internet). And it was the dog, I swear!

Thanks.

PS. If it is more than random, I will get it checked out.