Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (
-   Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care (
-   -   Outside grab handle loose -fix? (

BCnomad 06-14-2015 11:17 PM

Outside grab handle loose -fix?
Reaching for the exterior grab handle to help get myself into the trailer, I noticed it was a bit loose. Popped open the plastic covers to see if it was a Robertson screw there. Nope. Something completely different.. Any fix?

Brian B-P 06-15-2015 12:01 AM


Originally Posted by BCnomad (Post 96852)
Popped open the plastic covers to see if it was a Robertson screw there. Nope. Something completely different...

That's a little mysterious. :laugh:

Any description (or photo) of the completely different something? Is it just another fasterner drive (e.g. Torx)? If not, Is the interior side visible (where there might be the other end of a fastener)?

BCnomad 06-15-2015 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Its directly in front of the "door frame" so it looks like it ultimately could be accessed from behind... With effort.

This is the nut/bolt

Brian B-P 06-15-2015 04:35 PM

Wow - bizarre. I was hoping for an unusual fastener that I could help with, but I've never seen anything like that, although I can imagine a tool engaging it.

This may be one of those times that it is worth bugging Reace for information.

J Mac 06-15-2015 05:03 PM

It's a rivet. At least on my Escape handle. I just checked.

markvt 06-15-2015 06:28 PM

I believe it's called a blind hole rivet.

Brian B-P 06-15-2015 07:10 PM

If that's a rivet, it's unlike any I've seen before because of the three slots. That's okay - I just get to learn another new thing. :) It's also quite large, unless I have the scale of the handle wrong, but that makes sense for the purpose.

Bad news: a rivet cannot reasonably be tightened
Good news: ... but you can drill it out and replace it
Bad news: ... but the use of any kind of rivet suggests that the inside is not accessible, so replacement with a bolt may not be practical, and a large blind rivet is hard to install.

I did a Google search for like images and found nothing like it. That doesn't mean much - this type of Google search doesn't seem to work very well.

Brian B-P 06-15-2015 07:13 PM


Originally Posted by markvt (Post 96951)
I believe it's called a blind hole rivet.

Just a "blind rivet", meaning you can't (don't need to) see the other side. A blind hole is different - it doesn't go all the way through. In this case the hole would be right through the trailer shell, with (apparently) a blind rivet installed in it. All of the rivets on an Escape and similar trailers are blind rivets.

Brian B-P 06-15-2015 07:14 PM

If I'm interpreting the photo correctly, that's one rivet in one hole, and nothing in another mounting hole. Is there a fastener (rivet) missing?

J Mac 06-15-2015 07:48 PM

Believe's a rivet. Mine doesn't have the slots the posters rivet has. There is only one rivet on the top of the handle and one rivet on the bottom. Both are under a protective cap.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.