Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Shopping Escape (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/)
-   -   Drop it like it's hot! ***12v Drops*** (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/drop-it-like-its-hot-12v-drops-5891.html)

erikcampbell 06-26-2015 12:28 AM

Drop it like it's hot! ***12v Drops***

All right all you intelligent people out there, hopefully you can help me out once again. I'm not getting the inverter, it's too expensive and I don't use a hair dryer. So I'm adding some more 12v plugs in my rig. I also asked ETI to put some in the upper cabinets in case I want to put some lights in there. They said they don't put plugs in cabinets, they just do drops. Should I put the drops in? How many? Also, how many extra plugs should I put in the rig? Where should I put them? I think I have three right now, 2 being the usb combo plugs.

thanks!
e

KarenH 06-26-2015 12:45 AM

Some think that one can not have too many drops or 12V plugs. You should asked yourself how many appliances do you want to run (or charge up) and how many at the same time. (I have two 12V outlets, one at each end of the trailer and have only used one of them.) Again, with the 12V drops...these are for lights in the upper cabinets. Do you need a light in each cabinet? Only you can answer that question. I have only one "dark" upper cabinet and I threw a puck light in there. Good enough for me.

It's all about how you expect to use your trailer. Some folks are minimalists and some folks like to have every convenience. There are no wrong choices.

erikcampbell 06-26-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenH (Post 98255)
Some think that one can not have too many drops or 12V plugs. You should asked yourself how many appliances do you want to run (or charge up) and how many at the same time. (I have two 12V outlets, one at each end of the trailer and have only used one of them.) Again, with the 12V drops...these are for lights in the upper cabinets. Do you need a light in each cabinet? Only you can answer that question. I have only one "dark" upper cabinet and I threw a puck light in there. Good enough for me.

It's all about how you expect to use your trailer. Some folks are minimalists and some folks like to have every convenience. There are no wrong choices.

What else could I use the drops for? This is why I'm asking. I have no experience camping in a trailer. I don't know what I need or want yet.
:)

KarenH 06-26-2015 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of a puck light in an upper cabinet...no 12V drop needed for me. Some folks choose 12V lights with auto-switches that go on when the door is opened.

Edited: I should have said "choose to install 12V lights" as ETI does not do that; the 12V drops provide the connection for the buyer to install them.

tractors1 06-26-2015 01:01 AM

I added a 12V drop on each side with cabinets, mainly for lighting futures. Also one under the bed for light in the storage area, and one on each side for a 12V compressor to reach the tires.

gbaglo 06-26-2015 01:09 AM

The drops would be to power a light you may install later, or maybe an audio system.
Like Karen, I have a couple battery powered LED puck lights. One is in the fridge, on the door, and I think I'll remove it tomorrow, since it only occupies space. I've never held the door open long enough to turn it on. Besides, the beer is in the bottom right.
I have another in the cupboard where we keep spices, peanut butter, coffee filters etc. I don't normally have the patience to turn it on and then find what I'm looking for. Rummaging around seems to work most of the time.
The puck light I use the most is just inside the bathroom door at about shoulder level. I open the door and grab the door frame and my hand naturally falls on that puck light. In the middle of the night, half asleep it helps me find the switch for the main light in the bath.
I'd love to have lights in the cupboards that turn on when you open the door, but I've no plans to install them.
If it's not too costly to have the drops wired, it might be worth it to you.

tractors1 06-26-2015 01:12 AM

Think eti charged me $25/drop

gbaglo 06-26-2015 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractors1 (Post 98262)
Think eti charged me $25/drop

That's two dozen beer. :facepalm:
Priorities please.

float5 06-26-2015 01:20 AM

$20 for 3-5 puck lights.

rbryan4 06-26-2015 02:13 AM

The drops have come in handy for powering my Sleek cradle and some lighting. If you don't foresee a need for power in that cabinet in the future, don't add the drop. If so, having Escape add the drop is much easier than adding it later.