Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Modifications and Alterations (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/)
-   -   Awning LED project (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/awning-led-project-6116.html)

Seef 07-30-2015 03:19 PM

Awning LED project

3 Attachment(s)
Last winter, after reviewing some Awning LED projects here on the forum we decided we "needed"such a mod too on our 5.0 classic.

So i did some research and ordered a 5 mtr LED strip and a remote control for that strip.

After that we needed some sort of aluminium profile to place the LED strip in. It took us a while to get our hands on a decent strip but when we got that nothing could stop us to get this little project on the road... Except... time. :banghead:

So only this week we found enough time to get the show on the road. First of all i placed the aluminium strip right under the awning, drilled a hole through the strip and the shell of the Escape (after saying a prayer).

Today i finished the job, ran the LED cables through the shell, drilled a hole in the sidewall of the upper cabinet and ran the cable from the electrical cabinet via the benches to the upper cabinet connected the whole lot an did a test run.

We're quite happy with the result, the remote control allows us to dimm the lights and it has some flashy programs one of them being a SOS signal. :thumb:

One big advantage of the remote control is, you do not need a 'normal' switch. I placed the remote control reception unit in the space between the right hand side upper cabinet and the upper rear cabinet. I tested the remote control and even when i'm about 10 meters away from the Escape i can control the LED's. :laugh:

Attached some pictures form the used materials and the end result.

First pic: Cable enters the Escape from the outside
2nd pic: The remote control unit.
3rd pic: placed all the cable and the remote control unit into the empty space in the cabinets

Seef 07-30-2015 03:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
First pic: Electrical hookup*
2nd pic: end result! :thumb:
3rd pic: The actual remote control

* We choose to use a fresh circuit for this mod. We will be adding LED lights to the cabinets which we will connect to this circuit.

cpaharley2008 07-30-2015 04:18 PM

Nice work, Seef
I know drilling that hole took a lot of nerve and I leave mine on low at night when stopped at rest areas.

markvt 07-30-2015 05:09 PM

Very nice Seef thats a someday project from myself to. Do you have a daylight picture of the LED strip under the awning that you could post?

Mark

Cypherian 07-31-2015 06:32 AM

Very nice Seef I too would like a day light picture of the Alum extrusion you used and perhaps a link to the LED kit you used ? When you get the TIME of course LOL

Cypher

Ron in BC 07-31-2015 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice job and something you'll enjoy having.

I notice that your electrical panel is wired differently than mine. On mine the cable from the converter goes to the + terminal above the two 40 amp fuses and is a heavy cable, the same as the one on the bottom + terminal, coming from the battery.

You don't seem to have any wire on the upper + terminal and two on the bottom + terminal, with one being noticeably smaller.

I'm not saying it's a problem, I'm just curious about the difference. Although I'm wondering if your converter still has reverse polarity protection with it wired that way.

Ron

cpaharley2008 07-31-2015 12:11 PM

Remember, this unit has been rewired to European standards.......

Ron in BC 07-31-2015 12:15 PM

OK, maybe I figured out why. Something to do with switching to a European 220 volt converter where there's current in both legs and reverse polarity isn't a factor?

Ron

Ron in BC 07-31-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (Post 103398)
Remember, this unit has been rewired to European standards.......

Yes, but on reflection European 12 volts is still 12 volts and it wouldn't be anything to do with it now being a 220 volt converter so reverse polarity would still seem to be required.

At any rate I'll be interested to learn from Seef why the panel's wired the way it is.

Ron

Brian B-P 07-31-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron in BC (Post 103401)
Something to do with switching to a European 220 volt converter where there's current in both legs and reverse polarity isn't a factor?

Why would single-phase AC power in Europe be any different in this respect from single-phase AC power in North America? Yes, Europe gets twice the voltage at a little lower frequency, but it's not like their normal household outlets have a centre-neutral 120/240V three-wire connection like we use for a large appliance or 50-amp RV. They have a hot, neutral and (optionally) ground conductor just like our 120V AC circuits.

And yes, 12VDC should be just like here, although detailed wiring standards will vary.