Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   General Escape (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/)
-   -   Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ? (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/dual-maxx-fans-over-kill-6547.html)

Santiago 10-02-2015 03:06 PM

Dual Maxx Fans - over kill ?
 
Hello everyone, we have been on vacation and had an opportunity to stop by Chilliwack. We had ordered our 21ft a week earlier but now got a chance to actually see one.

First of all, what a great operation Reace and Tammy have there ! We were impressed with their business sense, long term planning, and customer service attitude.

Reace, Tammy, Barb and our assigned agent Sara were helpful, listened to our needs and a joy to partner with. I feel the visit was the best part of our vacation.

Now for my question. We don't want AC. Maybe some day we will change our minds. We prefer using Maxx fan as it's always available ( 12v ) and versatile.

Those of you with 21ft and one standard Maxx fan near the front bed, does it do a pretty good job drawing outdoor air in through the entire trailer via an open dinette window?

Would a second Maxx fan where the AC would have gone help with air changes, exhausting stale air, cooking odors as stove is near by ?

I have read using two fans, one to exhaust and the other to bring outdoor air in, worked well. Those of you that have it did the dual fan meet your expectations?

Thank you in advance.

alanmalk 10-02-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santiago (Post 113186)
Hello everyone, we have been on vacation and had an opportunity to stop by Chilliwack. We had ordered our 21ft a week earlier but now got a chance to actually see one.

First of all, what a great operation Reace and Tammy have there ! We were impressed with their business sense, long term planning, and customer service attitude.

Reace, Tammy, Barb and our assigned agent Sara were helpful, listened to our needs and a joy to partner with. I feel the visit was the best part of our vacation.

Now for my question. We don't want AC. Maybe some day we will change our minds. We prefer using Maxx fan as it's always available ( 12v ) and versatile.

Those of you with 21ft and one standard Maxx fan near the front bed, does it do a pretty good job drawing outdoor air in through the entire trailer via an open dinette window?

Would a second Maxx fan where the AC would have gone help with air changes, exhausting stale air, cooking odors as stove is near by ?

I have read using two fans, one to exhaust and the other to bring outdoor air in, worked well. Those of you that have it did the dual fan meet your expectations?

Thank you in advance.

That's exactly what we did - no AC, 2 fans and the visit to Escape.

Our trailer rule: Stove turned on = 1 Maxx fan on exhaust. Mainly because we also eliminated the stove exhaust hood for a more open look, and less opportunity for head knocking.

And on those hot days, one on intake and one on exhaust.

No regrets so far.

But that said, we tend to camp in high and/or dry places with no shore power available. Might not work for you in the deep south, but I don't know.

--
Alan

fudge_brownie 10-02-2015 03:31 PM

Our original 19 escape did not have air-conditioning. Never missed it. For resale purposes our 21 was ordered with air-conditioning.

We are just returning from a trip to South Carolina, it was our first opportunity to use air conditioning in the Escape. I don't know if we could have survived without, temperatures were not that high but it was so steamy.

My point is, you never know those future trips where it might be necessary and without A/C, when it comes time to sell, you eliminate one half of the US as potential buyers.

Santiago 10-02-2015 03:32 PM

Alan !!! I knew you would chime in as I remember your ventilation philosophy, it matches ours as well. No AC, no stove vent as they barely work, and a more open looking interior.

So you normally use the center fan for general cooling and cooking gaseous by-products BUT fire up both fans when extra "cooling" is needed ?

We live in Southern California and by and large its dry here but we will continue to spend our time in all local mountains, Oregon and Canada when we want to be away for longer periods of time. We think Canada is the camping equivalent of Disneyland.

Yes we will travel to the US deep south and Florida but during the winter months. Back east it's humid and AC would help but not having it won't kill us. We will plan on Fall or Spring visits there.

Interesting that you seem to use the center fan more. That makes sense. Do you think if we wanted just one fan it would be where the AC would have been instead of near the front bed ? Do you think you would be happy with just one or see the two as being a better way to go ?

Rossue 10-02-2015 03:33 PM

Hi Santiago-

We didn't want A/C either; and considered two fans while speaking with Dennis at last year's rally. Glad we didn't do it; we don't use the first one much and like the skylight effect of the standard vent hatch. You can add one later as the power will be there (A/C ready).

Jim Bennett 10-02-2015 03:51 PM

We too opted for no A/C in our 19, and there might have be a half dozen days in over 6 years we might have used it if we had it.

The one fan worked just great for us, as it was mostly evening when we wanted it, and when sleeping would have it drawing out on low speed, with the window over our heads cracked. That fresh air being drawn across our heads felt very nice, something that would be defeated with dual fans in opposite directions. Besides, I can't really see it being that much of an improvement, as the one exhausting will not draw any more than if a window was open.

As far as the hood fan goes, we rarely cooked inside, but used ours almost every time we cooked inside, as it kept the condensation levels down a lot. On my next build, I may eliminate it, but will likely find one myself to install, and just make certain that Escape leaves a 12V drop to use.

Santiago 10-02-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fudge_brownie (Post 113189)
For resale purposes our 21 was ordered with air-conditioning.

Hi Fudge Brownie,

Yes the humidity back east is pretty bad, I lived it in the fifties when no one I knew had AC, and those summers !!!

Soon our travelling home will have wheels and be able to head north in the summer and south in the winter. Can we enjoy AC now and then, assuming we have shore power? yes of course but those few occasions don't warrant getting it.

Re-sale is important but people like us tend to stick with what we have for the longest time, hence a well made fiberglass RV that lasts. Likely our last RV. I figured when it eventually sell the Escape RV ACs will be totally different and new owner can attach his own brand new modern unit.

WLYBGR 10-02-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santiago (Post 113186)
Hello everyone, we have been on vacation and had an opportunity to stop by Chilliwack. We had ordered our 21ft a week earlier but now got a chance to actually see one.

First of all, what a great operation Reace and Tammy have there ! We were impressed with their business sense, long term planning, and customer service attitude.

Reace, Tammy, Barb and our assigned agent Sara were helpful, listened to our needs and a joy to partner with. I feel the visit was the best part of our vacation.

Now for my question. We don't want AC. Maybe some day we will change our minds. We prefer using Maxx fan as it's always available ( 12v ) and versatile.

Those of you with 21ft and one standard Maxx fan near the front bed, does it do a pretty good job drawing outdoor air in through the entire trailer via an open dinette window?

Would a second Maxx fan where the AC would have gone help with air changes, exhausting stale air, cooking odors as stove is near by ?

I have read using two fans, one to exhaust and the other to bring outdoor air in, worked well. Those of you that have it did the dual fan meet your expectations?

Thank you in advance.

I went 2 Maxx fans,i live in Alberta.Doesn't get to hot or muggy.As far as resale.Reace told me an ac unit would fit into,one of the existing holes.I do much the same exhaust[1] & draw cooler air[2].Now to just get a better mattress,in the 21.Latex?

Jim Bennett 10-02-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WLYBGR (Post 113217)
Now to just get a better mattress,in the 21.Latex?

We had put a 6" firm quality foam mattress, plus a 2 1/2" latex foam mattress in our 19, and it was like sleeping on a cloud. We plan to do something similar with the 5.0. I might look at a bit thinner mattress for the bottom layer though. Maybe about 4".

WLYBGR 10-02-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bennett (Post 113219)
We had put a 6" firm quality foam mattress, plus a 2 1/2" latex foam mattress in our 19, and it was like sleeping on a cloud. We plan to do something similar with the 5.0. I might look at a bit thinner mattress for the bottom layer though. Maybe about 4".

thanks; are you talking Temper pedic type?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.