Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Shopping Escape (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/)
-   -   TV antennas (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f40/tv-antennas-6653.html)

Jake930 10-23-2015 02:11 PM

TV antennas

what is the difference between the jack antenna and the amplifier antenna. we were not go to get a TV set up, but after reading about some one holed up for 6 days with rainy whether
thought we would double think this. thanks.

Ron in BC 10-23-2015 02:24 PM

The Jack has a built-in amplifier.

Basically there are 3 ways to pull in signals that aren't close to you. Use a small antenna with an amplifier. Use a larger antenna, the 4 bay or 8 bay type, without an amplifier. Or use an amplifier with a large antenna when you're trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, sort of a hail mary situation for getting a marginal signal.

I use a 4 bay antenna on the road, but it's bulky and needs to be set-up. I've read so many good comments about the Jack that I'm ready to switch before my next major trip. :)

Ron

Loren & Cathy 10-23-2015 04:17 PM

I didn't know much about TV antennas in setting up the build sheet but in reading this forum, I decided to go with the Jack antenna. A glowing review from Tractors sealed the deal and after being parked in one location for 4 weeks, it really came through. Though I had said I would be happy if I got the one local channel, I got 24 stations and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. It was a very good choice. Loren

Ron in BC 10-23-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy (Post 115634)
and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. Loren

Not an unusual situation. My den TV is connected to both cable and my 8 bay OTA antenna. Switch back and forth between the two and the antenna does have a better resolution picture.

Ron

Greg A 10-23-2015 05:10 PM

Over the Air signal is true High Definition signal. Cable is compressed and does not deliver true high def, even though a lot of cable companies charged for high def. :-[

Brian B-P 10-23-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron in BC (Post 115644)
My den TV is connected to both cable and my 8 bay OTA antenna. Switch back and forth between the two and the antenna does have a better resolution picture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg A (Post 115646)
Over the Air signal is true High Definition signal. Cable is compressed and does not deliver true high def, even though a lot of cable companies charged for high def. :-[

All digital video transmission systems use compression - the data volumes would be impractical otherwise. The surprise for many of us was that over-the-air (OTA) broadcasters have generally chosen to transmit at higher resolution than most satellite and cable systems (1080 instead of 720), and also use less aggressive compression. If you can receive OTA broadcasts without problems (data dropouts that cause freezing, audio dropouts, loss of resolution, or areas of the image not updating in synch), they are great quality.

memobug 10-23-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron in BC (Post 115616)
The Jack has a built-in amplifier.

Basically there are 3 ways to pull in signals that aren't close to you. Use a small antenna with an amplifier. Use a larger antenna, the 4 bay or 8 bay type, without an amplifier. Or use an amplifier with a large antenna when you're trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, sort of a hail mary situation for getting a marginal signal.

I use a 4 bay antenna on the road, but it's bulky and needs to be set-up. I've read so many good comments about the Jack that I'm ready to switch before my next major trip. :)

Ron

4) Or use a directional antenna.

I think the Jack offers a nice combination: a relatively small, directional antenna with an amplifier and a signal strength display.

Regards,

Matt

tractors1 10-24-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy (Post 115634)
I didn't know much about TV antennas in setting up the build sheet but in reading this forum, I decided to go with the Jack antenna. A glowing review from Tractors sealed the deal and after being parked in one location for 4 weeks, it really came through. Though I had said I would be happy if I got the one local channel, I got 24 stations and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. It was a very good choice. Loren

I'm delighted when I'm right! Had that happen last year too!