Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Modifications and Alterations (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/)
-   -   Table pedestal -- is it worth it? (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/table-pedestal-is-it-worth-it-6937.html)

Mike Lewis 12-30-2015 09:02 AM

Table pedestal -- is it worth it?

This is an inquiry for those of you who retrofitted your dinette table with the marine-style pneumatic pedestal support and have used it for a while. That thing is pretty expensive, at least in my world. Was it worth it? Would you do it over again or just keep the standard table supports?

thanks,

chemando 12-30-2015 09:15 AM

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am also looking for comments on a replacement pedestal. Last season we left the table in the upright position all the time so it didn't make sense to replace. But this up coming season will require us to put the table into the down position nightly.

This is the pedestal I have been considering. 3-stage-table-pedestal

Jim Bennett 12-30-2015 10:42 AM

Pretty sure you will mostly hear good stuff Mike, as most folks who make a change like this are usually only happy they made it.

I plan to use the Dicor Cosmo in my trailer, along with the 4-way sliding top. I am also looking at various ways of having the full-sized table made smaller for use as a coffee table too. Lots of fun.

chemando 12-30-2015 10:46 AM

Link to the Dicor Cosmo for those interested. Looks nicer than the Springfield unit.

Cosmo

Jim Bennett 12-30-2015 10:48 AM

This is from an email. You can buy direct. Not cheap, especially when converted to Canadian pesos, but then neither are our trailers.

Quote:

Thank you for your interest in our Cosmo table. The Cosmo table is made of two items. The table pedestal is our part# IP-15300 and is $245.00 and the 4 way table slide which is part# IP-153481 and is $135.00.
You may purchase one or both of these items directly from Dicor with either a visa or master card credit card. Please let me know if you have any questions.

sturski 12-30-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lewis (Post 122533)
This is an inquiry for those of you who retrofitted your dinette table with the marine-style pneumatic pedestal support and have used it for a while. That thing is pretty expensive, at least in my world. Was it worth it? Would you do it over again or just keep the standard table supports?

thanks,

I'm pleased that I did it with mine.

I expected the bed to stay a bed and the dinette to stay a dinette. My wife disagreed and fought with lifting the table and juggling the supports over and over. Raising and lowering the table with the pneumatic pedestal couldn't be easier and there is nothing to lift or hold.

The down side is access to the fuse box (on a 19). Not a big deal, don't need to do it often, and that is my problem, not hers.

Ron in BC 12-30-2015 11:21 AM

I had one for years on my boat. There isn't any comparison at all to the ease of up and down compared to the ETI offering. As well it doesn't wobble around and gives more room for feet. What's not to love? :)

Ron

rbryan4 12-30-2015 11:26 AM

We love it.

- You can rotate the table. This turned out to be our favorite feature.
- Putting it down to make the bed is a snap.
- More footroom and now we can sit along the back comfortably.
- Looks 'cool' :)
- No more wobble.

As for price, yeah, $275 or so isn't cheap, but I'd buy it again.

rbryan4 12-30-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sturski (Post 122545)
The down side is access to the fuse box (on a 19).

There's a quick way to remove the table top which helps you access the fuse box: just remove the two set screws on the underside of the table top and slide it all the way off.

Patandlinda 12-30-2015 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lewis (Post 122533)

thanks,

Changed to the marine pedestal and wouldn't go back . I have since cut down my table to make it smaller for now . When I make my (Jackson Polack) (Myron 's table ) get the hardware for folding extension for table etc. which has to wait for now .But getting rid of poles was a improvement I never regret . Trying to remove those poles was not fun at all . Scraped paneling , scraped leg. You still have the sliding back and forth on your table . Depending if table is still centered but away from wall can turn all around when latches are undone . I think someone else posted a picture of what the table can do on the pedestal . Pat

drpaddle 12-30-2015 11:49 AM

Sometimes, when I think of all the good times we had -- those ETI-supplied double pedestals and me -- I get a little choked up. Soul mates, we were. We really had something.

I also miss the sciatica flareups associated with wrestling the table apart and pounding things back in when it was time to re-install.

Okay, I'm lying, I don't miss anything about the old table legs. I'm glad I moved on, and I think in the end the old table legs are going to be happier serving some other purpose. They couldn't really have been enjoying themselves much, could they? I think not.

Now if I could just figure out what kind of yard art to make with them.

Pedestal (ours from Overton's) worth the cost? Yes, to us.

Carla Jean 12-30-2015 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bennett (Post 122542)
Pretty sure you will mostly hear good stuff Mike, as most folks who make a change like this are usually only happy they made it.

I plan to use the Dicor Cosmo in my trailer, along with the 4-way sliding top. I am also looking at various ways of having the full-sized table made smaller for use as a coffee table too. Lots of fun.

I am wondering why you chose the Dicor Cosmo over the Springfield. We ordered the Springfield to take up January 15 to have it installed to the table, and concerned about the ability to swivel and slide both directions.

This is the LAST thing I will worry about prior to picking up the trailer, I promise...!

ksitte 12-30-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpaddle (Post 122557)
I'm glad I moved on, and I think in the end the old table legs are going to be happier serving some other purpose. They couldn't really have been enjoying themselves much, could they? I think not.

When you come up with a good use for those table legs & sockets, I hope you'll post it. I'd sure like to make them happier. :)

Klem 12-30-2015 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryan4 (Post 122550)
There's a quick way to remove the table top which helps you access the fuse box: just remove the two set screws on the underside of the table top and slide it all the way off.

Do you have the Dicor Cosmo? Looks like one model. Thank you.

chemando 12-30-2015 01:09 PM

sturski, rbryan4 and patandlinda, do you remember what make/model pedestal you installed?

Jim Bennett 12-30-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carla Jean (Post 122558)
I am wondering why you chose the Dicor Cosmo over the Springfield. We ordered the Springfield to take up January 15 to have it installed to the table, and concerned about the ability to swivel and slide both directions.

This is the LAST thing I will worry about prior to picking up the trailer, I promise...!

The main reason I am going to order the Dicor over the Springfield is for the 4-way slide. I think it will be more desirable for our use than one that turns.

chemando 12-30-2015 01:23 PM

Jim, is the 4 way slide just a friction stop at the center location? Or does it lock in at that position somehow?

currinh 12-30-2015 01:33 PM

Who with a "marine pedestal" will be at the Customer Appreciation Rally in Osoyoos? I'd sure like to see one, or several, work. Our table arrangement is nice but if we start setting up the dinette bed more a pedestal would be nice.

If several are it may tip the scales and convince us to attend.

Thanks.

BCnomad 12-30-2015 01:41 PM

As a counter point, I got Reace to cut down the ginormous 21 table.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post109618

It wobbled enough (that particular single pole was out of round) I had a double pole set up made. Much better. Largest table piece can stay in garage until needed.

YMMV.

drpaddle 12-30-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by currinh (Post 122568)
Who with a "marine pedestal" will be at the Customer Appreciation Rally in Osoyoos?

Thanks.

Toto will be there. You can preview the "TotoLounge" here.

sturski 12-30-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemando (Post 122564)
sturski, rbryan4 and patandlinda, do you remember what make/model pedestal you installed?

I got the Springfield in black from Overton's. The paperwork is in the trailer, buried behind a large snow drift at the moment; but it's the one mentioned here.

rbryan4 12-30-2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sturski (Post 122571)
I got the Springfield in black from Overton's. The paperwork is in the trailer, buried behind a large snow drift at the moment; but it's the one mentioned here.

Same here. My thread on the install:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mods-5691.html

See post #11 for a direct link to the product page. Used a coupon code of SAVE 15 for a 15% discount at the time, although I'm not sure that code works anymore.

Patandlinda 12-30-2015 08:02 PM

Table pedestal - is it worth it

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemando (Post 122564)

Hi I believe right now it is at 20 % off at Overton's . The 3 stage springflied marine pedestal . We got the black one . Pat

chemando 12-31-2015 08:42 AM

How are the new pedestals installed? Does the base simply screw into the floor?

How is the Escape floor constructed? Is it just plywood over top of the fibreglass shell?

Jim Bennett 12-31-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemando (Post 122667)

How is the Escape floor constructed? Is it just plywood over top of the fibreglass shell?

You got it, screwed to the plywood, which is epoxied to the shell.

rbryan4 12-31-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemando (Post 122667)

It just screws into the floor. 6 high quality crowned trumpet screws are included. Our dinette floor is raised 4" and install was a snap.

captmath 12-31-2015 06:39 PM

Best mod I ever made.

Vermilye 01-01-2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryan4 (Post 122681)
It just screws into the floor. 6 high quality crowned trumpet screws are included. Our dinette floor is raised 4" and install was a snap.

For anyone adding one to a 17, remember where your fresh water tank lives!

padlin 01-01-2016 11:19 AM

With no raised floor I used shorter screws, 1" SS I think. Don't know how far it is from the plywood to the fiberglass but I had no intention of finding out.

Ron in BC 01-01-2016 11:58 AM

I did measure before I installed nut serts to hold my custom pedestal. I believe it's 5/8" plywood plus the f.g. On the 19 at least, no worries about drilling through that area, there's nothing at all to hit.

Ron

Jubal 01-01-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron in BC (Post 122783)
I did measure before I installed nut serts to hold my custom pedestal. I believe it's 5/8" plywood plus the f.g. On the 19 at least, no worries about drilling through that area, there's nothing at all to hit.

Ron

Did you remove the OE recessed pedestal bases that project through the holes cut in the bottom of the trailer ? If so, how did you seal the large holes in the fiberglass shell ?

Ron in BC 01-01-2016 01:47 PM

I never liked that type of table support a long time before I ever saw them in an Escape. In my boat I used a hydraulic one similar to ones others have retro-fitted.

When I saw a demo Escape and put my elbows on the table and it wobbled I could just imagine my coffee spilling :rolleyes:. ETI wouldn't delete their offering but I asked for it loose, not installed. So I didn't have any existing holes to deal with.

I'm not sure what large holes you're referring to, the standard pedestal base only "sits" on the floor.

Ron

rbryan4 01-01-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vermilye (Post 122777)
For anyone adding one to a 17, remember where your fresh water tank lives!

The supplied screws (on mine at least) were the same length as the screws holding down the original pole sockets. Nothing to worry about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubal (Post 122787)
Did you remove the OE recessed pedestal bases that project through the holes cut in the bottom of the trailer ? If so, how did you seal the large holes in the fiberglass shell ?

The original pedestal bases are not recessed - although I've seen the recessed ones mentioned before as a possible option. Even then, I've not heard of the need to cut holes in the shell.

Jubal 01-01-2016 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The recessed pedestal bases in our 2013 19' project through the floor and are visible under the trailer. Holes were cut through the fiberglass shell during the installation at the factory.

rbryan4 01-01-2016 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubal (Post 122797)
The recessed pedestal bases in our 2013 19' project through the floor and are visible under the trailer. Holes were cut through the fiberglass shell during the installation at the factory.

Wow, I didn't know they required that. Makes sense I guess. I assume you added that mounting system as an option?

Jubal 01-01-2016 02:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryan4 (Post 122800)
Wow, I didn't know they required that. Makes sense I guess. I assume you added that mounting system as an option?

The recessed pedestal bases were standard OE and not an option. Another questionable installation.

Patandlinda 01-01-2016 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubal (Post 122803)
The recessed pedestal bases were standard OE and not an option. Another questionable installation.

What ? Ours is 2013 and ours are not flat to the floor , they are raised . Did you purchase from the factory as a new build ? Pat? It makes sense because of the length . I would leave alone and make a platform above as lots of us have done . Then you will screw your pedestal to your plywood platform . It is pretty easy mod . I left mine underneath my platform because if I sell trailer I will take my marine pedestal as put back the poles which also for me go through the platform . Never touched holders . Pat

Ron in BC 01-01-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubal (Post 122803)

That type is a bit of a surprise. The bases supplied to me just sit on the floor and from other comments seemed to be typical.

Ron

gbaglo 01-01-2016 04:25 PM

Ditto here. Bases sit on top of the floor. I only recall once somebody asking about recessing the bases. Not standard OE in any trailer I've seen.

jamman 01-01-2016 04:29 PM

Our 2005 Casita had the flush to the floor bases which stuck out below the shell.