Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f21/)
-   -   Looking for a good bike rack under $200 (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f21/looking-for-a-good-bike-rack-under-200-a-7490.html)

GregandTeresa 04-01-2016 03:13 PM

Looking for a good bike rack under $200

I know that there have been several threads on here about bike racks, and lots of folks are willing to spend mega-bucks on a bike rack (such as the 1-UP, etc).

But for cheap folks like myself, are the any good racks for $200 or (preferably) less that you would consider using on the back of your trailer?

We will be carrying 2 bikes. Mine is a Schwinn single speed cruiser type bike, and Teresa's is an Electra Townie 21 speed. So not cheap bikes, but not super expensive either.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Jim Bennett 04-01-2016 03:33 PM

Greg, the problems with cheaper racks are many.

Most of them just bounce way too much, especially on a trailer. I had a Swagman that cost more than what you are looking for, and thought it was quite tough, that is until a buddy following me on a trip told me it was bouncing around like crazy.

Most of the cheaper ones grab the bike by the frame, instead of the tires. This can cause damage to the finish, or even the frame on carbon fibre bikes.

Plus, they are often not that easy to use.

Others will likely have come to a different conclusion. I just know I have had the 1-Up for we over a year now, and just love the thing. It is WAY faster to install, and load bikes on than any other I have used, PLUS it is rock solid, one great piece of workmanship.

GregandTeresa 04-01-2016 03:40 PM

I've never owned a bike rack before, and had no idea that good ones were so darned expensive. Maybe it's just my initial sticker shock, and I'll move past it and invest in a good one at some point. I was just hoping that maybe someone had some good experiences with some of the others. But perhaps not. Thanks for your feedback Jim as always.

Rossue 04-01-2016 03:42 PM

Have to agree; we've tried 2 Swagman(almost lost a bike with one) and a V-shape one you hang your rims on. All three were horrible. 1UP will cost more, but will remind you each time you use it that you certainly got what you paid for:)

Jim Bennett 04-01-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregandTeresa (Post 135588)
I was just hoping that maybe someone had some good experiences with some of the others. But perhaps not.

I know others have listed cheaper racks they did like, and I hope they will chime in.

GregandTeresa 04-01-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossue (Post 135589)
Have to agree; we've tried 2 Swagman(almost lost a bike with one) and a V-shape one you hang your rims on. All three were horrible. 1UP will cost more, but will remind you each time you use it that you certainly got what you paid for:)

Thanks, I should have mentioned, that is the kind of feedback I want too. Folks who have tried the cheaper ones and regretted it.

FlaGman 04-01-2016 04:14 PM

I received the 2-bike 1up today-it is one of the best engineered products I've ever seen. It makes me kind of proud that the US can design and build something of this quality in these times. Even though it cost more than the bikes I'm carrying, I looked at it as a long term investment like the trailer itself. I can transfer it easily from my trailer to my truck, and loading and unloading the bikes takes seconds.

Some things seem like they cost too much money for no good reason. Even though this rack is expensive, you can tell why as soon as you see it and use it.

skiman 04-01-2016 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaGman (Post 135603)
I received the 2-bike 1up today-it is one of the best engineered products I've ever seen. It makes me kind of proud that the US can design and build something of this quality in these times. Even though it cost more than the bikes I'm carrying, I looked at it as a long term investment like the trailer itself. I can transfer it easily from my trailer to my truck, and loading and unloading the bikes takes seconds.

Some things seem like they cost too much money for no good reason. Even though this rack is expensive, you can tell why as soon as you see it and use it.

Yep. My sentiments exactly. Our 1Up has exceeded expectations. :thumb:

padlin 04-01-2016 05:20 PM

I've got an older 2 bike hanger style Thule, kind of an old Apex. I know it's not ideal but I'm not dropping another $500 on another rack unless I have issues. So far I have about 10K miles on the back of the Escape with this one without problems. It is certainly a bit of a hassle as I strap the bikes and the rack to the bumper and the spare.

If I didn't already own mine I'd spend the extra for one of the 1ups, it's not all that much more.

JohnB 04-01-2016 05:42 PM

I have this bike rack. This is from Canadian Tire Store, but something similar may be available in a US Store.

SportRack Crest 2 Platform Hitch Bike Carrier | Canadian Tire

The basic concept of the rack is good but does have some shortfalls.
It fits a 1 1/4" receiver but comes with a spacer that fits into a 2" receiver.

The connection is a somewhat loose fit and the rack tends to wobble. I solved the wobble by securing the top of the rack to the bumper/frame connection with 2 cargo straps tensioned to take out almost all the bounce.

The vertical bar that clamps onto the top tube of the bike does tend to rub the frame. Have lost the paint where it rubs the tube.
I solved this issue by wrapping a protective cover/wrap around the frame.

Another issued I had was that almost lost a bike once when the vertical support arm disconnected from the top tube of the bike. Rack was on the back of the vehicle at the time, not on the trailer. Not sure why, perhaps I didn't tighten it enough.
I have resolved this issue by wrapping a secure tie around where the vertical support arm and top tube of the bike connect which also holds the protective cover/wrap in place.

So yes, there are cheaper racks, but they seem to come with disadvantages, as compared to something like the 1Up.

That being said we have hauled our bikes everywhere we go on this rack for a number of years and have had some great bike rides.