Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners helping each other (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/)
-   -   Best glue to use on face of headliner (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/best-glue-to-use-on-face-of-headliner-8538.html)

NW Cat Owner 08-31-2016 08:07 PM

Best glue to use on face of headliner
 
The other day I got the brilliant idea of using magnets on the cellular shades that we're getting for The Trailer. Haven't figured out all the details yet. I thought maybe some handy folks on this forum could provide some help.

Next time I'm up at ETI they're going to give me some samples of their headliner material, which is also used on the walls. I'm thinking we'll glue some metal strips to the wall so the magnets can attach to it and the shades will stay in place. Particularly at the end of the trailer were there's still a curve. Probably won't need it on the straight walls.

Anyway, any suggestions on the best sort of glue for this? The magnets aren't going to be so strong that you have to really yank on the blind to open it back up, but there will be some pressure applied to that metal strip. About the only glue I've regularly used is Elmer's and I think I need something stronger for this project. Sarah at ETI didn't have any suggestions.

Thanks much folks! Much appreciated. :)

rbryan4 08-31-2016 08:30 PM

I don't know if I would glue anything to the face of the vinyl Laura. It's glued (on the backside) to the insulation, but over time that adhesive does deteriorate somewhat. Doesn't take much to pull the vinyl away from the wall when that happens. Some owners who've had their trailer for awhile have had issues with the headliner sagging from the ceiling, and have had to re-glue it. If a metal strip was cemented to the interior surface, perhaps the pulling of the magnets off the strip would cause the vinyl to detach from the wall over time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

float5 08-31-2016 08:40 PM

Since it is down the wall presumably and not on the ceiling, you could try a couple and see what happens.

cpaharley2008 09-01-2016 05:45 AM

No harm in thinking out of the box and with these long gestation periods it is common. On the other hand, a lot of some questions will be easily handled once you receive your trailer and see the construction and how things are put together. Then put on your thinking caps and go to town. That said I do not think adding magnets to the headliner is practical as it is only glued or held in place by the cabinets trim and easily disturbed. Similar to popcorn ceilings, nice to look at but do not touch. But then again, with the newer insulation, it may be possible, no one knows until they get their own unit.

escape artist 09-01-2016 06:22 AM

Magnetic personality?
 
Hi: All... Recently I had to wait in the Hospital. Not unusual you'd think. Every chair in the waiting room was full, so I stood in the doorway, hoping I could nab the next avail. seat. Time passed and as I wavered back and forth I could hear a clicking sound above me. Took me some thought to work out that my pacemaker was affecting the magnetic closure on the door, so watch out where you implant any magnets in your Escape... I may just drop in unannounced!!!:eek: Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie;)

cpaharley2008 09-01-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escape artist (Post 158731)
Hi: All... Recently I had to wait in the Hospital. Not unusual you'd think. Every chair in the waiting room was full, so I stood in the doorway, hoping I could nab the next avail. seat. Time passed and as I wavered back and forth I could hear a clicking sound above me. Took me some thought to work out that my pacemaker was affecting the magnetic closure on the door, so watch out where you implant any magnets in your Escape... I may just drop in unannounced!!!:eek: Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie;)

Alf, be careful you may erase some computer data with your magnetic personality...:):flowers:

NW Cat Owner 09-01-2016 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (Post 158725)
No harm in thinking out of the box and with these long gestation periods it is common. On the other hand, a lot of some questions will be easily handled once you receive your trailer and see the construction and how things are put together. Then put on your thinking caps and go to town. That said I do not think adding magnets to the headliner is practical as it is only glued or held in place by the cabinets trim and easily disturbed. Similar to popcorn ceilings, nice to look at but do not touch. But then again, with the newer insulation, it may be possible, no one knows until they get their own unit.

The blinds will be screwed into the underside of the cabinets, similar to what they do with the valences they currently use (which we're not getting). The magnets will be attached to the plastic part that's at the very bottom of the blinds. We were originally thinking of velcro, however that will attract fluff far more than magnets every would.

But, we won't know until we get the headliner samples. I was mostly wondering if anyone had glued anything to the front side of it and what they had used.

cpaharley2008 09-01-2016 06:47 AM

I did not know that ETI was providing headliner samples? are there options for the headliner?

Jim Bennett 09-01-2016 07:46 AM

Contact cement will hold good. I only use the solvent based stuff due to its superior holding power over the water based. The more surface area, the more the holding power.

You could also see if Escape would put some backing in where you want, so you could mechanically connect the metal anchor points.

techfan 09-01-2016 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner (Post 158733)
The blinds will be screwed into the underside of the cabinets, similar to what they do with the valences they currently use (which we're not getting). The magnets will be attached to the plastic part that's at the very bottom of the blinds. We were originally thinking of velcro, however that will attract fluff far more than magnets every would.

But, we won't know until we get the headliner samples. I was mostly wondering if anyone had glued anything to the front side of it and what they had used.

Our replacement shades attach to the windows with Velcro in the metal channels. Three years no "fluff".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.