Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f11/)
-   -   Manning Park In the Cold (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f11/manning-park-in-the-cold-8718.html)

Old Fulica 09-29-2016 11:00 PM

Manning Park In the Cold

I wanted to try out the 19' in cold weather dry camping so I headed up to Manning Park, about 120 kilometres east of Chilliwack, this week. Dian didn't want to come as she hates cold nights and I am afraid I don't offer much warmth the way I used to. The days were sunny, in the mid teens, but once the sun set the cold came in rapidly. The campfire burned out around 8:30 PM and I went inside. I had a sleeping bag insert which is a great asset if you don't want to go through the contortions and gyrations of making the bed. On top of that I added a thick comforter and topped that off with a down-filled sleeping bag. I awoke around 3AM and checked the temperature. It was 3 degrees celsius in the trailer. When I got up around 6AM it was 1 degree. I turned on the furnace and crawled back into bed to wait for the temperature to rise.
There was a little frost on the ground but luckily all the water lines were functional.
Not wanting to press my luck for another night I headed home.
Some pictures are on my blog; Focused on Fauna (and a little flora)
I have the extra insulation package but no foam insulation on the bottom.

LarryandLiz 09-29-2016 11:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We were up at Mule Deer Campground (Manning Park) for one night on Sept 6. It was nice during the day. At night it got a bit chilly but I wore my fashionable night cap (buff).

I think you had it chillier then we did.

Larry

Bobbie54 09-29-2016 11:16 PM

Okay, I'm going to stop complaining that it is chilly in my house at 71!

How quickly did the heater get it up to warm?

cpaharley2008 09-29-2016 11:23 PM

I hit frost last night in the Cascades and turned on the furnace, it was warm within 10 minutes.

jerryandmaria 09-29-2016 11:39 PM

We love the furnace in our 21- nice and quiet. Our Casita had one that worked equally well, but sounded like a express train coming thru-. Quite the difference. I haven't found anything to complain about except the Escape is harder to modify because everything is tucked in neatly and hidden.
Jerry

BCnomad 09-29-2016 11:39 PM

Older posts/threads have indicated camping with water in the pipes is OK below freezing as long as temps go +'ve in the daylight. I was fine to about -7C or so last year.

freespirit 09-29-2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Fulica (Post 162312)
I wanted to try out the 19' in cold weather dry camping so I headed up to Manning Park, about 120 kilometres east of Chilliwack, this week. Dian didn't want to come as she hates cold nights and I am afraid I don't offer much warmth the way I used to. The days were sunny, in the mid teens, but once the sun set the cold came in rapidly. The campfire burned out around 8:30 PM and I went inside. I had a sleeping bag insert which is a great asset if you don't want to go through the contortions and gyrations of making the bed. On top of that I added a thick comforter and topped that off with a down-filled sleeping bag. I awoke around 3AM and checked the temperature. It was 3 degrees celsius in the trailer. When I got up around 6AM it was 1 degree. I turned on the furnace and crawled back into bed to wait for the temperature to rise.
There was a little frost on the ground but luckily all the water lines were functional.
Not wanting to press my luck for another night I headed home.
Some pictures are on my blog; Focused on Fauna (and a little flora)
I have the extra insulation package but no foam insulation on the bottom.

enjoyed the pics and commentary on your blog...so glad to not be a salmon...and thanks for the cold weather report for your Escape..plans for a similar 2017 setup as yours with extra insulation and no underside foam.

float5 09-29-2016 11:47 PM

Around freezing is one thing and well below is another, to me, anyway. May have to open cabinets at night to get warm air to lines.

BCnomad 09-29-2016 11:58 PM

Absolutely Cathy, but that is not what the OP ran into.

Old Fulica 09-30-2016 12:21 AM

Bobbie15; It took about 15 minutes for it to get to 15 degrees celsius.