Escape Trailer Owners Community

Escape Trailer Owners Community (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners helping each other (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/)
-   -   Microwave Questions (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/microwave-questions-9269.html)

WaltP 01-02-2017 12:02 PM

Microwave Questions

I'm trying to decide on the microwave for my 17B on order and have four basic questions.
1. What is the wattage of the built in?
2. What is the platter diameter?
3. Overall exterior dimensions?
4. Dimension of the cabinet if the oven is not installed?

Thanks for all help.

And BTW, how does the search function work here? It looks like you have to search each section separately, which seems awfully cumbersome.

?

Brian B-P 01-02-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaltP (Post 175114)
And BTW, how does the search function work here? It looks like you have to search each section separately, which seems awfully cumbersome.

I would suggest starting a separate topic in Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box about searching... but no, you don't need to search each sub-forum separately. Some notes to get you started:
  • The Advanced Search isn't bad, and lets you specify which items such as which parts of the forum to search, and which members' posts to find, which can be useful.
  • Most members recommend using the built-in Google Custom Search (at the bottom of the Search menu).
  • I just do a Google search from my browser, outside of the forum, but add "site:escapeforum.org" as a search term, so Google only looks in this forum.

Brian B-P 01-02-2017 02:42 PM

I know that all of these are reasonable questions which have come up before, so I did a Google search of this site for "microwave model" and found some relevant topics:
  • Microwave Convection oven
    This thread contains compartment dimensions... but for a different Escape model.
  • Microwave Turntable
    This thread (which is now a couple of years old and so may no longer have valid information) specfies a Dometic CDMW07B as the model. I did a Google search for that model code and found lots of reference from parts suppliers (which say that it is made by LG and has a 9-3/4" diameter turntable) and a specs page from Dometic.

sumac.rhus 01-02-2017 03:29 PM

Back in November when I asked re the microwave (among a gazillion other questions) I received the following reply: RCA: RMW712
700 watt internal dimensions: 17" x 12" x 9"​ (external: 19.5" x 14" 11.5") 0.7 cu. ft If you look that model up on-line, you will no doubt be able to learn size of the dish, etc. Walmart carries this - so I went to look at one in person.
(Hope this helps -
Am in process of deciding particulars re a 17B as well)

The Quilting Lady 01-07-2017 12:08 AM

Try out the convection microwave before you think about installing them. Here is the experience I had a year ago.

My experience with a Dometic Convection Microwave. About a year and a half ago when I was equipping my new Casita I decided that I really wanted one and figured by the dimensions of the microwave and the cabinet it would fit. So I ordered one from Camping World. I could get it to fit, but when I read the directions I found you needed quite a bit of room on both sides and behind, on top and underneath. I tried it out in my kitchen and felt how extremely hot it got when on convection. The microwave worked just fine. When I tried using the convection I found it did not cook evenly. I could not get it to work like a normal oven. I tried biscuits. They did not rise well and cooked too done on the outside and not on the inside. I tried cookies and they came out terrible too. Fortunately Camping World sent me a packaging label and I was able to get a refund. I do not remember what model I had purchase.

rbryan4 01-07-2017 01:25 AM

Nancy, in reading all the reviews of the Dometic convection microwaves, and the myriad of issues with them breaking down or not cooking properly, I would not waste a dime on a Dometic. There may be a more reliable brand that will fit the enclosure, but haven't really looked. Our Cuisinart Convection Microwave at home works fantastic, but of course, it's not suitable for an RV.

jennykatz 01-07-2017 09:21 AM

microwave

We opted for the cabinet in the 21 .Then we bought a 700watt microwave that fits into the cabinet for $49.00 .I'm not sure what size cabinet is in the 17b trailer .When I get out to the trailer I can take measurements. There are plenty of small 600-700 microwaves that will fit into that space on the 21 .

rubicon327 01-07-2017 09:42 AM

The original post was regarding a regular microwave but I'll play along. It appears that Reace was not interested in installing convection type as late as fall 2015 based on posts. Recently though it appears he is working with Dave (H46Driver) to implement one in a new 21 due to roll out of ETI later this month. It sounds like it is a Contoure model. This is what Oliver uses. I bet it is much better than Dometic. My point is that we shouldn't wholesale reject a technology because one brand is inferior. It's great to see Reace has agreed to this customization that requires larger clearances around the unit. Hopefully we get a report on how it works once the owners have used it for awhile.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...d-8031-64.html

Post #634

H46Driver 01-07-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon327 (Post 175935)
The original post was regarding a regular microwave but I'll play along. It appears that Reace was not interested in installing convection type as late as fall 2015 based on posts. Recently though it appears he is working with Dave (H46Driver) to implement one in a new 21 due to roll out of ETI later this month. It sounds like it is a Contoure model. This is what Oliver uses. I bet it is much better than Dometic. My point is that we shouldn't wholesale reject a technology because one brand is inferior. It's great to see Reace has agreed to this customization that requires larger clearances around the unit. Hopefully we get a report on how it works once the owners have used it for awhile.

Post #634

Yes, we will be putting in a Contoure convection/microwave. Reace is building the cabinet to the specs called for and we will do the actual install. Hoping it's going to fit/work. We had a Dometic in the Casita and it was awesome. BUT because of the heat it generated we never ran it above 320 on convection. Cookies and brownies were perfect every time so we were really happy with it. We'll definitely post a review as soon as we can assuming it does fit.

Brian B-P 01-07-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon327 (Post 175935)
... Recently though it appears he is working with Dave (H46Driver) to implement one in a new 21 due to roll out of ETI later this month.

Post #634

Direct link:
It's Friday! - 2017 and beyond! - Post #634