Broken cable on Thetford foot flush toilet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Broken cable on Thetford foot flush toilet

Hi RV repair expert-friends,

The cable on our foot-flush toilet broke. There is a little ball that goes through the foot pedal that secures the cable to the pedal. The ball broke off. We can still flush by hand (with some effort) by reaching around the back but I need to replace the cable.

Has anyone done this? I can see how to take the toilet out. I'm just wondering how complicated it is to get a new cable and install it.

Thanks!
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post

The cable on our foot-flush toilet broke. There is a little ball that goes through the foot pedal that secures the cable to the pedal. The ball broke off. We can still flush by hand (with some effort) by reaching around the back but I need to replace the cable.

Has anyone done this? I can see how to take the toilet out. I'm just wondering how complicated it is to get a new cable and install it.

Thanks!
That sounds like a bit of a PITA to replace. I've seen the replacement cable kits online for around $20. Here's what I think is the right pdf showing how it's replaced. You do have to pull the toilet of course.

http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...edal-Cable.pdf
Old 01-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

Thanks for this. Super-helpful! PITA for sure! Looks like I can do it if I have to. We're within the two year window. I wonder if it's covered? I have a call in to Escape to find out. Here's hoping.

It sure is a wimpy design. Looks like breakage is inevitable.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought that the foot flush feature would be prone to issues since one has to stand on one foot to operate and foot pressure is a lot harder to perceive than hand pressure.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Joe , the owner of our local RV shop contends that many people release the foot valve after use and allow it to slam into the upper position . This slamming supposedly puts strain on the valve and cable.
Whether this is fact I do not know but it sounds highly plausable
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Makes sense. When I think of my big foot smashing that pedal and see the tiny little cable it's no wonder it breaks. And allowing it to pop back into place would indeed put a lot of stress on it.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Makes sense. When I think of my big foot smashing that pedal and see the tiny little cable it's no wonder it breaks. And allowing it to pop back into place would indeed put a lot of stress on it.
So it's between getting close to barf position to use the hand lever or now that I'm aware of it being a bit gentler with the foot lever.
I'll be gentle.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

I'm not sure which part to get. We have model 31650. It has balls on each end. The ball on the foot pedal is the one that came off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-3171...thetform+cable

The manual says its a 31711. But our cable has (had) balls on both ends. Hopefully I'll hear from Escape about it. Anyone out there know which is right?

UPDATE: AHA!

Looks like I need part #2. The ball end that broke off becomes a retainer collar with a set screw in the replacement kit.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm not sure which part to get. We have model 31650. It has balls on each end. The ball on the foot pedal is the one that came off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-3171...thetform+cable

The manual says its a 31711. But our cable has (had) balls on both ends. Hopefully I'll hear from Escape about it. Anyone out there know which is right?

UPDATE: AHA!

Looks like I need part #2. The ball end that broke off becomes a retainer collar with a set screw in the replacement kit.
Reading the remarks on the second one says odds are high that if the cable was broke the cable sheath is damaged so they recommended getting the first one.
But looking at the diagram the second one is easy to install.
I do not envy you.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
To bad it broke off and not just slip off or you could use something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
4B1BEAC0-B1BA-4DF0-B812-20DBD40E6375.jpeg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
To bad it broke off and not just slip off or you could use something like this.
I may still have some of those in a box in the shop.
I found them valuable when one of my Kaw 900 throttle cables broke in the grip and no one had one. Ran with it like that for years.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #12

True! If it were longer I could just do that. But there is no extra. :-(
Old 01-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #13

UPDATE: We're within the two year window and Tammy and Reece are sending us a new toilet. Wow. What customer service. Escape really stands behind their product! From now on, it's easy-does-it on the foot flushing.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
UPDATE: We're within the two year window and Tammy and Reece are sending us a new toilet. Wow. What customer service. Escape really stands behind their product! From now on, it's easy-does-it on the foot flushing.
WOW! Thanks for sharing.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
It is nice to see that this problem has a happy ending !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Wow is right!
That is like being up S___ creek without a paddle and not only do the ship you another paddle but another boat as well.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #17

Trailer: Roadtrek 190 1999
Thank you all!

Thank you to everyone for the PDF and comments! I popped the ball end of the cable out of the slot in my foot pedal in the wee hours of the morning. Luckily the cable was not broken but I had no idea how to approach fixing it until I found this thread. An hour with my face on the toilet lid and a mirror and the pdf diagram and it's all fixed! I will be much gentler with my foot pedal from now on... :-)
Motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I never liked the foot pedal option. Now I know why.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I never liked the foot pedal option. Now I know why.
Yes I agree, as we age it becomes harder to balance on one foot without pushing too hard with the other foot, sort of like those performers on the old Ed Sullivan with rings spinning opposite ways on each arm and legs and then jumping rope while holding a cane on their head with a spinning plate on the end.........
Old 10-12-2021, 11:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 1999 Coachman Motorhome
Post Thetford Aqua Majic IV (4) cable repair Foot-Flush on Youtube

Quote:

Thanks!
Here is the diagram for the Thetford Toilet Cable 31711 that was previously mentioned in tthis forum post. Repeated here for clarity.
http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...edal-Cable.pdf

There is an excellent video on YouTube, also to watch that shows the whole process of changing out the broken cable for a new cable. actually replaces both cables from the kit. Shows how to use a Magic Marker to mark cable and install the slip collar sleeve with allen set screw underneath the foot pedals.

Nice long 33 minute complete repair video for changing out broken cable. Shows removing toilet, turning upside down, removing 4 screws for removing cover. Removing and replacing the cables with a ball joint and two slip on collar with set screw for the foot pedal end.

I think you could go to the local ACE or TrueValue hardware store and purchase a galvanized 1/16" inch cable about 4 feet long (don't know if 3 feet is too short). Press on at the store the sleeve on 1 end with 1/8 - 1/4 free cable on end. Find the two slip on collars for 1/16" cable with the allen wrench set screw. I don't know if the swaged on aluminum stop collar fitting will stay in place of the original round ball that snapped into the plastic fitting. But you could try and use some silicon or caulk to keep the swaged fitting end from popping out of the round ball hole. Use your creativity now, or order a replacement kit and wait a week.

You are responsible for checking which replacement kit MATCHES YOUR TOILET MODEL.. Check that you have the new toilet gasket to replace the old when putting the toilet back on to the whole into the holding tank. Before starting this job, Drain the holding tank, flush with a couple gallons of water, add some RV black water tank deodorant This should reduce the smell you endure, when removing and replacing the toilet.

Thetford 34106 Flush Pedal Cable Kit For Aqua Magic Style Lite And Plus Toilets
MFG P/N: 34106
MFG: Thetford
UPC #: 028985341062
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Thetf...-p/44-0985.htm I add this URL link for the pictures and information. You select the RV supply store you like to purchase a replacement cable from.

Anybody have the length in inches of the cables ball end to ball end for the Thetford Aqua Majic IV toilet? Please share.
Wb7odyFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, foot flush toilet