12 Volt Power for Un-Hitched Brake Operation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
12 Volt Power for Un-Hitched Brake Operation

Greetings,

I purchased a Power Mover (powered trailer dolly) so I could pull my trailer into my driveway hitch first. The dolly is AC powered. It additionally includes a 7 pin connector wired to power only the trailer brakes. A 12 volt power source is required to power the trailer brakes. For the 12 volt power source, the power mover includes positive and negative spring clip connectors intended for connection to the trailer's battery. In my case that won't work as the battery in my 21 is inside at the rear of the trailer. So, I need to use an external standalone 12 volt battery.

Question: do I need an automotive 12 volt battery or can I use a smaller, 12 volt sealed lead acid battery? Do I need a particular "amp hour" rating or some other electrical feature I don't know about or is 12 volt the only requirement?

Thanks in advance !

Fletch "I don't do electrical, at least not very well"
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Weiscraft Little Joe Tug '14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
I would think a break away kit would do the job. Then you would have battery power for the brakes both when you are using the power dolly and as a safety feature when towing.

Go to etrailer.com and search 'break away kit'. You could tie in with the alligator clips to the break away battery when you need to. You might consider getting one with a solar cell mounted on the top of the battery box for maintaining the battery when not in use.

You would probably do well to call E-trailer and tell them what you are trying to do. They could point you to the most appropriate unit.

Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
For the brakes you only need a few amps - 7-8 should completely lock up the wheels. So most any starter type 12V should work - motorcycle, lawn tractor, generator, ...

OR - you could use the 12V at the break-away switch. I do not know where the connection is - but it needs to resealed well if you open it.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Unless I have misunderstood the situation, there is no extra battery needed at all, since the Escape already has one. The dolly's 7-pin connector apparently only has wires to the brakes and to the trailer "ground", but another pin in that same connector goes to the battery positive: instead of clipping the dolly's wire to a battery, you connect them to the +12V or "charge" and ground pins of the 7-pin connector.

It seems strange to me that the dolly maker would provide separate battery clips, given that almost any trailer with electric brakes and that 7-pin connector also has power on the charge pin of the connector.

Other people have done this with their home-made dollies. It's essentially the same as pulling the plug on the breakaway switch (which also connects the trailer's own battery to its brakes), but easier to manage (and to turn off!).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Hi Brian, I agree. The idea of clipping to an external battery didn't seem intuitively correct to me either but as I said earlier, I don't speak electrical. It would sure be helpful to have a wiring diagram that shows me how to wire the "male" seven pin connector such that it draws trailer power to apply trailer brakes, controlled by a switch on the puller. Maybe one of those weekenders with a home built can help?

Thanks again!!
Fletch Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Unless I have misunderstood the situation, there is no extra battery needed at all, since the Escape already has one. The dolly's 7-pin connector apparently only has wires to the brakes and to the trailer "ground", but another pin in that same connector goes to the battery positive: instead of clipping the dolly's wire to a battery, you connect them to the +12V or "charge" and ground pins of the 7-pin connector.

It seems strange to me that the dolly maker would provide separate battery clips, given that almost any trailer with electric brakes and that 7-pin connector also has power on the charge pin of the connector.

Other people have done this with their home-made dollies. It's essentially the same as pulling the plug on the breakaway switch (which also connects the trailer's own battery to its brakes), but easier to manage (and to turn off!).
Absolutely right. I KNEW I was missing something.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam n Fletch San Jose CA View Post
H Maybe one of those weekenders with a home built can help?

Thanks again!!
My dolly takes a lot of amps when it's really working hard. I'd be reluctant to use my 7 pin wiring without looking very closely at wire size and the amperage draw for dolly.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #8

He only wants to use the 12V power for the brakes - it is a 110V dolly - see post 1.

Here is the wiring: Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I'm thinking the clips might be there for someone who routinely removes the battery for winterization, but may want to move the trailer after doing so. Given the fact that many trailer batteries are installed on the tongue, I certainly wouldn't leave a battery on the trailer if I expected freezing temperatures. Disclaimer: just a guess.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote