17b towing- hitch weight - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
17b towing- hitch weight

Right now I've got the standard 17b setup. No storage box, though, so whatever that weighs plus 100 lbs less on the tongue. Escape says dry weight 296 on the tongue.

I haven't measured the tongue weight yet, either but have not done anything to change it much.

But my question is- what would be ideal? I'd guess the trailer weighs around 3100 (2923 shipping weight and < 200 pounds of stuff I added at least so far. Weight should be close to normal but I had them move the converter to the front since I was using the back as a permanent bed so that changes weight distribution just a bit.

I have been thinking of bolting the aluminum box part of my cargo rack to the front behind the propane, and using it for the dog's ex pens and mats. Just wondering if putting the weight up there is a good idea. They'd be comparable to the storage box with up to 100 lbs in it. That would be about 13% weight on the tongue.

I've been carrying those things in the truck bed but it is kind of a hassle as they are always on the bottom and I want them early on in setup.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Right now I've got the standard 17b setup. No storage box, though, so whatever that weighs plus 100 lbs less on the tongue. Escape says dry weight 296 on the tongue.
The tongue weight from Escape's specifications would be without the front storage box, too, because it is optional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I have been thinking of bolting the aluminum box part of my cargo rack to the front behind the propane, and using it for the dog's ex pens and mats. Just wondering if putting the weight up there is a good idea. They'd be comparable to the storage box with up to 100 lbs in it. That would be about 13% weight on the tongue.
That seems entirely reasonable to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My advice. Get the trailer weighed on a drive on scale. Then figure out what would be 12% of the weight and make that your target tongue weight. 10 percent Is usually considered a minimum and 15% is the maximum. Those percentages have worked well on our 19 and now the 21 Escape. Works well on my utility trailer also which weighs 1,000 empty and 3,000 loaded. When loaded with dirt or sand or rock I put the load dead on the axle. The construction is such that it’s tongue heavy without the tailgate/ramp which I only use when I have to drive something up on the trailer using the ramp. Otherwise I take the ramp off. No brakes on this trailer.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #4

I know 10-15%- just wondering if there is an optimum with this particular trailer. My previous two trailers I had to worry about the extremes- not going too high for the 15A (or really for my Subaru, so I kept it just over 10%) or too low for the Campster (loaded heavy things up front). But the axle is set further back on this than on either of those so it is already heavier.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #5

Tongue weight is 300 lbs with 1 full and 1 partially full propane tank. so that's likely under 10%. So I guess I'm going to try putting the cargo rack there and see how I like it.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We towed a 2010 17B with no AC with a Murano for almost a year with over 10K miles. Even with 2 bukes in the rear we never had any stability or sway issues. With the Pilot it should be even better.