19' or 21' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
T
Can't go wrong with any of these current model trailers.
I agree, get what you what based on your own preferences. The only thing that I don't agree with in all the pros and cons of each model is the belief that "crawl down" is way better than "crawl over". I've had both. I find "crawl over" easier than "crawl down", but everyone has their own opinion on that.

I've had island queens in both an RV and sailboat. The only way to go. Now if I could only figure out how to fit one in the 19.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree, get what you what based on your own preferences. The only thing that I don't agree with in all the pros and cons of each model is the belief that "crawl down" is way better than "crawl over". I've had both. I find "crawl over" easier than "crawl down", but everyone has their own opinion on that.

I've had island queens in both an RV and sailboat. The only way to go. Now if I could only figure out how to fit one in the 19.

Ron
No wonder you don't know how much better the 21' is for that: it is "scoot down" not "crawl down!" .
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
No wonder you don't know how much better the 21' is for that: it is "scoot down" not "crawl down!" .
I can just hear my wife yelling at me for pulling the covers off her as I "scoot".
Old 11-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
The only thing that I don't agree with in all the pros and cons of each model is the belief that "crawl down" is way better than "crawl over".
I've had both too. Now that I have a "crawl/scoot down" I find I liked the

'crawl over" better. Not that I'd base buying a trailer on the crawl mode.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #25

Actually, there are many people who base the buying of their trailer on exactly that, or have it as a big factor. That is because they cannot physically climb over.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I actually prefer the placement of the bed in the 21. I love that when in bed, you are tucked away from the door and the rest of the trailer. To me it feels cozy and private. I know it's not really a traditional layout which might be why some have trouble with the front bed, but it works for us.

And I definitely prefer having the dinette in back where the views usually are. We haven't used our trailer much yet, but the one rainy day we had, it was awesome to curl up in the dinette, gaze out on the view around me while listening to that glorious rain on the roof.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19
I like the 21 but the 19 is more compatible with my tow vehicle. Sounds like you have more tow power than my Ridgeline. Though I know others tow 21 with Ridgeline.

I am very comfortable and happy with my 19 with the Ridgeline.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I actually prefer the placement of the bed in the 21. I love that when in bed, you are tucked away from the door and the rest of the trailer..
Not really following this Jill, as the bed is right in front of the door, whereas with the 19 it is tucked right out of the way.

Don't get me wrong. If you are good with where the bed is, the 21 is a great layout.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not really following this Jill, as the bed is right in front of the door, whereas with the 19 it is tucked right out of the way.

Don't get me wrong. If you are good with where the bed is, the 21 is a great layout.
The person on the 21' bath side, or if in the middle, is tucked away very well. That is what some of us keep trying to tell people. (I still wonder the measurement from the door to back corner by bath on the 21' versus door to back corner in kitchen of a 19' --- then add two inches for the board between kitchen and bed side. Not sure it is much different.). And the 21' has no window to contend with at your back or at one of the sides which makes it very private.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #30

Quote:
The person on the bath side, or if in the middle is tucked away very well. That is what some of us keep trying to tell people. (I still wonder the measurement from the door to back corner by bath on the 21' versus door to back corner in kitchen of a 19' --- then add two inches for the board between kitchen and bed side. Not sure it is much different.). And the 21' has no window to contend with at your back or at one of the sides which makes it very private.
I get it, you prefer what you have, I do get that, but the last time I went into 21,less than a month ago, the bed was right in front of me, less than 3' away. This is what I was referring to.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I get it, you prefer what you have, I do get that, but the last time I went into 21,less than a month ago, the bed was right in front of me, less than 3' away. This is what I was referring to.
Your head is likely a similar distance away in the 19' from the door and the 21' is more private. You are referring to the foot.

Jill, I know exactly what you mean.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not sure that there's anything to see, or that there are people lurking outside the door anyway, in any case.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
If anyone is guilty of overthinking it's me. I had the right Casita all picked out. Planned a trip to Dallas to visit and they were closed. The more I pondered, the more I decided on an Escape. Thanks to the referral from Tammy SWMBO and I visited some (almost ) local folk. They both had a 19. I was sold. We even went to Chilliwack BC and that was my mistake. SWMBO saw the 21 and liked it better. She doesn't like the "crawl over" of the 19, I don't like the smaller bed in front or extra width of the 21. (guess who will be driving)Since we have a couple of years to decide we will argue about this until something happens to force a decision. Good luck with your decision.
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My thought process went like this-- I had a small four-cylinder Tacoma that I had inherited from my father. I knew it would pull an Escape 17 but probably not very well. So I flew out to see one at ETI. I travel solo as well. I thought that the 17 was just too small to live in for months on end, so I flew home not knowing what to do.

I wanted to order a 19 but was dismayed by the year-long wait time to get one. I could be dead in a year, I thought. Then an Escape 21 popped up on ETI's website so I called them up and bought it. I bought a new six-cylinder Tacoma to pull it. I've been pretty happy with my trailer, but I think I would have been happy with a 19 as well.

I like my Tacoma too, but I miss my dad's truck. It was a nice little truck and would have run forever.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Regarding sleeping positions in an Escape 21-- if you are traveling alone in a 21, try putting the pillow at the "foot" of the bed, closer to the trailer door. I found that this position makes it easier to get in and out of bed. You don't have to scoot down the bed, just curl up in a ball and roll in/out.

Also, I think the air circulation is better at the "foot" of the bed than at the end of trailer. I don't have a window at the end, so having my head there makes it seem a bit claustrophobic to me.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The 19 bed feels like a bedroom to us, because it's partially closed in at your head as well as your feet. We couldn't get past the 21 bed being right in front of you as you enter the trailer. I know this sounds trivial to some, and it probably is, but we like what we like.

And a 21 footer with a 19 layout is still something we hope to see someday.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #37

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Scoot or crawl over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've had both too. Now that I have a "crawl/scoot down" I find I liked the

'crawl over" better. Not that I'd base buying a trailer on the crawl mode.
Crawl over works fine If you sleep head to foot. My wife and sleep with her on the outside since she gets up more than I do. When I have to get up, she simply pulls her feet up and there is plenty of room for me to get out without actually "crawling over".
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
And the 21' has no window to contend with at your back or at one of the sides which makes it very private.
Since you mention that feature that's the one would be an absolute deal breaker for me even if all the other comparisons were in the 21's favor.

Perhaps we sometimes stop in places others wouldn't but the ability to be able to visually look out all 4 sides is a basic requirement for me. I'd have to go with the offset window but I'm not all that thrilled with the look of it. But no worries, I'd rather climb over than scoot.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Since you mention that feature that's the one would be an absolute deal breaker for me even if all the other comparisons were in the 21's favor.

Perhaps we sometimes stop in places others wouldn't but the ability to be able to visually look out all 4 sides is a basic requirement for me. I'd have to go with the offset window but I'm not all that thrilled with the look of it. But no worries, I'd rather climb over than scoot.

Ron
I agree that it is nice to be able to look out all sides, one thing I am going to miss with the 5.0.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #40

Quote:

Ron
We both agreed we did not want any other windows- there because it is the sleeping area. At the dinette, windows all around, great. To each his own. YMMV as they say.

Also warmer in cool weather and we have tended to camp in the off-season a lot. So many considerations....

You are a climber anyway! Scooter here.