2.7 V6 Ecoboost and 5.0 TA? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Camplite
2.7 V6 Ecoboost and 5.0 TA?

Trying to match my supercab F150 to a 5th towing numbers but below is the towing chart for Ford trucks.

Can anyone tell me if my V6 truck has the capacity to pull the 5.0 (with hopefully a little room to spare) or should I go with a smaller pull trailer?

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/2015f...?cb=1428707945
drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
I tow my 2012 single axle Escape 5.0 with a 2017 2.7 Ecoboost Supercab and quite frankly forget it's behind the truck unless I look in the mirror, tons of power to spare. The biggest problem you run into is payload. By the time you put a 5th wheel hitch and a driver in a F150 and then attach a loaded 5th wheel to it you've basically used 1000+ lbs of your payload. Check the yellow sticker on drivers door for the actual payload of your truck. Mine is rated for 1540 lbs so with two people in the truck l only have around 250+ lbs left for stuff that I put behind the front seats and the box in my bed, it adds up quickly.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoda View Post
Trying to match my supercab F150 to a 5th towing numbers but below is the towing chart for Ford trucks.

Can anyone tell me if my V6 truck has the capacity to pull the 5.0 (with hopefully a little room to spare) or should I go with a smaller pull trailer?

I was on track to buy an F-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost, and although I ultimately bought a Chevy Colorado diesel, I had done a ton of research on the F-150. The 2.7 will have no trouble towing the weight of the trailer, but again the issue will be payload limits and the heavier pin weight of the 5.0. Had I decided on the F-150, I would have ordered one with the payload and max tow package. If you already own the truck, check the max payload rating on the sticker inside the drivers side door. You'll probably be OK if it's rated at 1,500 lbs or more. If less you'll have to consider whether you want to worry about weights and balance and limit what you bring with you, and decide whether the hassle is worth the 5.0 or not. I ultimately decided it was not and am going in the direction of the 19 or 21 footer to match my Colorado (max payload at 1,390 lbs), rather than buy a bigger, beefier, and more expensive pickup than I really wanted. There are plenty of folks who do tow a 5.0 with the same pickup I have, however, so it can be done for those who don't mind paying attention to the weight of what they bring. As a newbie to towing, I'm just not comfortable pushing the limits of what my truck is rated for, so I decided to go with a trailer that is well under its limits. The idea of not having to alter the bed to accomodate a 5th wheel hitch is also appealing, as is having the bed of the truck available for items such as my fishing pontoon. Hope this helps!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Payload capacity is always a consideration, but is impacted more severely with a 5th wheel. I second the idea of having the payload package if you intend to tow the 5.0TA.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I have a 2017 150 2.7 and a 2017 5.0 I got the extra payload and larger gas tank didn't even feel the trailer behind me when towing over the mountains. I also went with the Anderson hitch because it's so light.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
IMHO the 2.7 EcoBoost is a perfect match for towing a 5.0TA. It sure works great for towing ours. As for your particular configuration you left out a bunch of stuff. Your payload should be found on sticker inside door. Mine is 1660 lbs and it is more than satisfactory for 2 adults and a 90 lb dog as well as a hard folding cover with built in tool box, full of tools. Trailer rides perfectly level, truck rides smooth and stable. Your axle ratio has a big effect on towing capacity as you can see from the chart you posted. Mine is 3:55 which gives my super cab 4x4 a tow rating of 7500 lbs. I choose the Anderson Ultimate hitch which saves weight and tows the trailer like it was 1 with the truck. If I where ordering the truck new I would have gone with the max payload and large fuel tank. Nice to have but not absolutely necessary.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:

🤔 When thinking about the 5.0 verses a bumper pull, one of the things that made up my mind was the overall length of truck and trailer is almost 4 feet shorter than comparable bumper pull. I have to say I have never experienced any sway or porpoiseing that I’ve read about with bumper pulls. The 5.0 tows like it’s 1 with the truck. After watching people at camp sites fooling with their weight distribution hitches don’t think I’m missing much there either.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I believe the 2.7 Ecoboost is adequate for pulling a 5.0 TA and also gets better mileage for around town driving. If you are concerned about getting near the top of the payload capacity then go for the Anderson Ultimate hitch which will save weight, and put on a set of Sumo Springs in place of the Jounce bumpers and they will lessen the rear sag. I believe a 750 - 800Lb. pin weight centered just in front of the axle will always be more stable than a 450Lb. tongue weight 3 feet behind the axle.
Having said all this I am still somewhat more likely to get the 3.5L Ecoboost in my next F 150 (my 2010 Supercrew short box has 115K miles, the steel body and a 5.4L V8) but that's because I live in Colorado and almost every camping trip has me going over mountain passes. Still, I am very interested in how the 2.7L is working for people and my mind is still changeable.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Camplite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
IMHO the 2.7 EcoBoost is a perfect match for towing a 5.0TA. It sure works great for towing ours. As for your particular configuration you left out a bunch of stuff. Your payload should be found on sticker inside door. Mine is 1660 lbs and it is more than satisfactory for 2 adults and a 90 lb dog as well as a hard folding cover with built in tool box, full of tools. Trailer rides perfectly level, truck rides smooth and stable. Your axle ratio has a big effect on towing capacity as you can see from the chart you posted. Mine is 3:55 which gives my super cab 4x4 a tow rating of 7500 lbs. I choose the Anderson Ultimate hitch which saves weight and tows the trailer like it was 1 with the truck. If I where ordering the truck new I would have gone with the max payload and large fuel tank. Nice to have but not absolutely necessary.
Well my sticker says I only have 1347 lbs so I apparently have 300 lbs less payload than you. I guess I could still manage but it is not going to allow me to put hardly anything else in my truck bed.
drhoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Well my sticker says I only have 1347 lbs so I apparently have 300 lbs less payload than you. I guess I could still manage but it is not going to allow me to put hardly anything else in my truck bed.
Payload all depends on the options installed on the truck and its configuration. I have a SuperCab which allows for a higher payload than the SuperCrew due to the lower kerb weight of the SuperCab compared with the SuperCrew. My last truck had a payload of 1350lbs and it was very tight and I had to be very careful what I put in the truck.
Barry

Old 02-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Payload all depends on the options installed on the truck and its configuration. I have a SuperCab which allows for a higher payload than the SuperCrew due to the lower kerb weight of the SuperCab compared with the SuperCrew. My last truck had a payload of 1350lbs and it was very tight and I had to be very careful what I put in the truck.
Barry
This is very true, and it's something that alot of truck owners miss. For example, I tow my 19 with a 2015 F150 SuperCrew 2WD, 2.7L Ecoboost. It does not have the payload package or the max tow package. While it does a fine job towing the 19, I would not use the same configuration on a 5.0TA, because a 1293 lb payload capacity wouldn't give me much headroom. The kingpin weight starts out 350 lbs heavier than the hitch weight on my 19, and that's the dry stock unit. Take a very conservative kingpin weight of 650 lbs, add the weight of 36 gallons of fuel, and a couple adult passengers, and you've run out of payload capacity PDQ. Add the payload package however, and you can bump up the payload capacity on the same truck to almost a ton - a no brainer with a 5.0TA.
Attached Thumbnails
20180226_221532.jpg   20180226_221545.jpg  
Old 02-27-2018, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This is very true, and it's something that alot of truck owners miss. For example, I tow my 19 with a 2015 F150 SuperCrew 2WD, 2.7L Ecoboost. It does not have the payload package or the max tow package. While it does a fine job towing the 19, I would not use the same configuration on a 5.0TA, because a 1293 lb payload capacity wouldn't give me much headroom. The kingpin weight starts out 350 lbs heavier than the hitch weight on my 19, and that's the dry stock unit. Take a very conservative kingpin weight of 650 lbs, add the weight of 36 gallons of fuel, and a couple adult passengers, and you've run out of payload capacity PDQ. Add the payload package however, and you can bump up the payload capacity on the same truck to almost a ton - a no brainer with a 5.0TA.
🤔 Unless you are talking an auxiliary gas tank you don’t have to add that weight it’s included. Ford also allows 160lb for driver, at least they did for 2016. There is a lot of fine print at bottom of spec sheet and easy to miss. The axle ratio is important also, 3:55 or 3:73 is the way to go.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #13

Quote:
I think you would be cutting it close. Hate to be in a position where you have to put a scale out for your passengers. You probably have more leeway with a bumper pull, but after towing my 5.0 I don’t see me going that root. There’s a lot to like about that little 5th wheel. Maybe time to trade up on the 150? 🤔
Old 02-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #14
Site Team

That's good info Cliff. I did read somewhere else that the weight of the 36 gallon fuel tank filled was already factored in to the payload capacity, but I had forgotten. With the driver weight allowance that does give me another 386 lbs of leeway.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Bear in mind that those figures are very conservatively rated, because Ford knows there are people who will routinely load their trucks heavier, so the cargo capacity number also has a fudge factor included. That is not my opinion; the service managers at three different dealerships told me that when I asked about the cargo capacity sticker found on the driver’s doorframe.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 Unless you are talking an auxiliary gas tank you don’t have to add that weight it’s included. Ford also allows 160lb for driver, at least they did for 2016. There is a lot of fine print at bottom of spec sheet and easy to miss. The axle ratio is important also, 3:55 or 3:73 is the way to go.
Ford doesn't allow for the driver in the kerb weight anymore but a full tank of gas is included. The reasoning behind dropping the driver weight was that they allowed 150lbs, which quite frankly is not very realistic these days.
Barry

Old 02-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Ford doesn't allow for the driver in the kerb weight anymore but a full tank of gas is included. The reasoning behind dropping the driver weight was that they allowed 150lbs, which quite frankly is not very realistic these days.

Barry

[emoji23] Hmmm, ya think? It would have been nice if they used 200 lbs as a reasonable base line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Bear in mind that those figures are very conservatively rated, because Ford knows there are people who will routinely load their trucks heavier, so the cargo capacity number also has a fudge factor included. That is not my opinion; the service managers at three different dealerships told me that when I asked about the cargo capacity sticker found on the driver’s doorframe.

Ratings for almost any commercial product are conservative but all the manufacturers are responsible for is their rating, period. If you don’t think so ask your service manager to put a number to his fudge factor then put it in writing. [emoji27]Good luck with that.
I’ve had pickups so loaded with gravel or sand that the front wheels where barely touching the ground. Got the load home with no apparent long term damage, but only had to go 5 miles and never exceeded 25 mph. This would not be something I would recommend on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's good info Cliff. I did read somewhere else that the weight of the 36 gallon fuel tank filled was already factored in to the payload capacity, but I had forgotten. With the driver weight allowance that does give me another 386 lbs of leeway.
Fuel weight is always included in the curb weight (by any motor vehicle manufacturer), and so always allowed for in payload capacity. A driver weight allowance is included in a towing capacity calculation, but I wouldn't count on it in a payload calculation and it makes no sense in a curb weight.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I don't think the service managers at dealerships have any useful insight into the design process of the vehicle manufacturer. They do have an incentive to disregard customer concerns about capacity, since less concerned customers buy more vehicles from the dealership, and broken vehicles give them more service work.

I would ask one of these guys to lay out the numbers: what is the curb weight, the GVWR, and the exact "fudge factor" value. My guess: they'll start dancing like a politician asked to explain what happened to pre-election promises.
EDIT: I see Chotch already noted the same thing. I like the "in writing" feature
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote