2” Spare difference. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
2” Spare difference.

Well my vehicle tire is 29” from the very edge of the tread. The Spare Tire is 27”. Will it work if I get a flat, put the spare on and putt up to the next exit for a Tire repair? Maybe take the WD bars off since I wouldn’t be exceeding the Tongue Weight anyway and it’s AWD.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So you want to use your car spare on the trailer or vice versa?
Old 07-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So you want to use your car spare on the trailer or vice versa?
No sir..car spare on car. It’ll be 2” unlevel, give or take. Maybe that’s a negligible amount.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #4

So you spare is a temporary spare? What vehicle are we discussing, what wheel is one and on spare?
Old 07-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Question

As an example the 2017+ ('Generation 2') Honda Ridgeline is OE equipped with an undersize 'donut' /temporary-use spare. A full-size spare will not fit in the provided underbed storage space. Is that the situation you face?

FWIW myself and other Generation 2 Ridgeline owners who tow RV's have purchased / set-up a spare wheel/tire that is an exact match for the normal road-wheels for carry in the bed when RVing. The Ridgeline does have provisions for securing a full-size wheel/tire against the front of the bed (intended for safe transport of the 'flat' road-wheel/tire when the 'donut' is installed).

Like-new road wheel/tires are frequently available cheap from folks that install custom wheels/tires, complete with TPMS, that's how I sourced mine through a Ridgeline owners forum.

Nope, I'm not gonna tow one inch with a temporary / donut / undersize spare.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
As an example the 2017+ Honda Ridgeline is OE equipped with an undersize 'donut' spare. A full-size spare will not fit in the provided underbed storage space. Is that the situation you face?
Yes...it will be 2” unlevel and probably the weight exceeds the spares capability.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

Unhitch and leave the trailer on the side of the road? Or wait until AAA or one of those for roadside assistance.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #8

You will have to purchase a full sized spare for towing. I found out my Ram 1500 truck did not have a full sized spare. I let the dealer know about selling a truck that can tow up to 12,000 lbs not having a spare tire that can be used while towing. I purchased a full sized wheel and tire and carry it now with my temp spare underneath the truck.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Unhitch and leave the trailer on the side of the road? Or wait until AAA or one of those for roadside assistance.
That, OR ...
Quote:
You will have to purchase a full sized spare for towing.
My solution, too, as stated above.

I don't want to suffer any more travel-interruption than is involved in changing to a proper long-distance spare, no matter what inopportune day (Sunday, holiday), time, or place I happen to suffer a flat.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
That, OR ...
My solution, too, as stated above.
Yeah..I don’t have a pick-up bed to carry it...we will have to make do.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The 2012 Highlander came with a full sized spare and matching wheel. I never had it on the car but I took it down and cleaned it up and made sure it was aired up and easily accessible each spring and Fall. The 2018 came with a donut. I located an aftermarket black wheel and put a used tire on it. It will fit where the donut was and it will crank up and down without a problem. Have not used it as a flat tire replacement. Have 62,000 miles on the original Michelin Latitudes and they are due for replacement. Waiting for another stimulus check as I spent my first one on beer and fishing tackle. Might by Michelin Defenders because they were real good on the 2012. But in a very tight spot the Latitudes performed very admirably.
I’ve never used a donut, always had a full sized spare even if it wasn’t a matching stylish wheel.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Yeah..I don’t have a pick-up bed to carry it...we will have to make do.
You might consider a mount for your full-size tow-vehicle spare on your RV rear bumper since the only time you'll need it is when you have the RV hitched.

Noting that someone here has posted a neat mod for mounting of their Escape trailer spare under the tongue in front, which would 'free-up' the rear mount for that full-size vehicle spare.

EDIT - link to post for relocating the Escape spare under the tongue, by Eggscape of course!: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post278711
Old 07-11-2020, 06:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Well my vehicle tire is 29” from the very edge of the tread. The Spare Tire is 27”. Will it work if I get a flat, put the spare on and putt up to the next exit for a Tire repair? Maybe take the WD bars off since I wouldn’t be exceeding the Tongue Weight anyway and it’s AWD.
Several issues here:

The lug pattern and center hole size on both your vehicle and the trailer would have to match - little chance of that.

The wheel offset on your trailer has a 0" offset - no vehicle I have ever seen has a 0" offset wheel. The offset difference would probably mean that the tire would hit the back of the wheel well.

The 2" tire height difference would cause the trailer to pull to the side the shorter tire was mounted. Also, good chance it's going to rub on the wheel well on road bumps.

All total, just keep the trailer spare.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Several issues here:

The lug pattern and center hole size on both your vehicle and the trailer would have to match - little chance of that.

The wheel offset on your trailer has a 0" offset - no vehicle I have ever seen has a 0" offset wheel. The offset difference would probably mean that the tire would hit the back of the wheel well.

The 2" tire height difference would cause the trailer to pull to the side the shorter tire was mounted. Also, good chance it's going to rub on the wheel well on road bumps.

All total, just keep the trailer spare.
I either mis-wrote of you are mis- interpreting. I have no intentions of putting my vehicle tire on the Trailer.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I either mis-wrote of you are mis- interpreting. I have no intentions of putting my vehicle tire on the Trailer.
Sorry, your first post was clarified in later posts. I see now that you are talking about towing with a temp spare on the vehicle.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
If you are concerned about getting a flat on the rear of your truck and the extra load of the trailer you could always put the doughnut spare on the front of your truck and then put the tire off the front on the rear. A little more work but hey how hard is it to change a tire? If you have tire pressure monitoring on your truck you can usually get the tire fixed before it goes all the way flat.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
If you are concerned about getting a flat on the rear of your truck and the extra load of the trailer you could always put the doughnut spare on the front of your truck and then put the tire off the front on the rear. A little more work but hey how hard is it to change a tire? If you have tire pressure monitoring on your truck you can usually get the tire fixed before it goes all the way flat.
Good suggestions!

My S2000 has a temporary spare. The temporary spare can only be used on the front of the car, because it is rear wheel drive with a limited slip differential. So, the manual specifies if it gets a flat on the rear, you have to put the temporary spare on the front and then move the front tire to the rear.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
That makes a lot of sense.Thanks.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Good suggestions!

My S2000 has a temporary spare. The temporary spare can only be used on the front of the car, because it is rear wheel drive with a limited slip differential. So, the manual specifies if it gets a flat on the rear, you have to put the temporary spare on the front and then move the front tire to the rear.
...and that’s also interesting. I better read my Explorer manual. I’m quite sure it’s a default Front Wheel Drive when not running AWD. Then again, this may be a different animal all together.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
You will have to purchase a full sized spare for towing. I found out my Ram 1500 truck did not have a full sized spare. I let the dealer know about selling a truck that can tow up to 12,000 lbs not having a spare tire that can be used while towing. I purchased a full sized wheel and tire and carry it now with my temp spare underneath the truck.
🤔Would a full size tire fit underneath?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote