2016 Ford F-150 Bed Rail Height - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Hope to buy an Escape 5th Wheel soon
2016 Ford F-150 Bed Rail Height

This is all new to me so pardon my ignorance. We have purchased a new (to us) 2016 Ford F-150. We want to get and Escape 5th wheel trailer but I am having some confusion about the bed rail height in regard to the Escape. I tried to ask the factory and, though they are prompt and responsive, I am even more confused. The published specs and our measurement say our bed is at least 57" but I was told by the factory this:

"You may want to remeasure your bed height, as that seems a little high. The truck bed side measurement cannot be greater than 56” to accommodate most of our trailer hitches. Can you confirm your bed rail height and I can than confirm if it will work or not."

If you own or are familiar with the 2016 Ford F-150 would you please help me understand if I am doing something incorrectly or if that is a loaded height or what? Will the Escape work with my truck? Do they offer a lifted package if not?

Thank you very much in advance!

~Candace
Segolily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segolily View Post
This is all new to me so pardon my ignorance. We have purchased a new (to us) 2016 Ford F-150. We want to get and Escape 5th wheel trailer but I am having some confusion about the bed rail height in regard to the Escape. I tried to ask the factory and, though they are prompt and responsive, I am even more confused. The published specs and our measurement say our bed is at least 57" but I was told by the factory this:

"You may want to remeasure your bed height, as that seems a little high. The truck bed side measurement cannot be greater than 56” to accommodate most of our trailer hitches. Can you confirm your bed rail height and I can than confirm if it will work or not."

If you own or are familiar with the 2016 Ford F-150 would you please help me understand if I am doing something incorrectly or if that is a loaded height or what? Will the Escape work with my truck? Do they offer a lifted package if not?

Thank you very much in advance!

~Candace
Hi: Segolily... Need more info. Is the truck a 4X4, short box, standard cab, Crew Cab, or any combo of them? Does it have removable rails along the box sides? Did you measure from the ground to the top of the box sides at the rear axle? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
+10 2 WD or 4WD? Wheel size? I can tell you, all the modern trucks are very high, its a stupid design/marketing decision IMHO.

According to the Ford brochure which is on line, rail height is over 58 inches on a 4WD F150. I assume that is with stock wheels. Add taller wheels and it is going up from there.

Regardless of what someone tells you on the phone, the brochure is pretty clear.

XL model comes stock with 17 inch wheels, Limited comes stock with 22 inch wheels.

I'd head to the nearest Ford dealer with a tape measure. Doubt the 2017 is going to be much different. And of course, when you buy the truck. Measure it.

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...stalCode=17406

They have been tall for a while, my 2010 shows to be 57 inch bed height. Adjust for the 20 inch wheels I have and its higher.

And then there are tires. Like em big? Up you go!

I had to buy the optional factory bed side steps just to get into the bed.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

We already bought it. So I know it is a 4 x 4. We got 57" on our tape measure, but it could very well have been a bit more than that (maybe some slope on the driveway, etc)

It is a Crew Cab.

I need my husband home to get the rest of the information and I will tonight.

So if it is too tall for the standard Escape 5th wheel what are my options? Do they offer a lifted version?

I really appreciate the help!!

I will be really bummed if we cannot get an Escape with our truck
Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
We already bought it. So I know it is a 4 x 4. We got 57" on our tape measure, but it could very well have been a bit more than that (maybe some slope on the driveway, etc)

It is a Crew Cab.

I need my husband home to get the rest of the information and I will tonight.

So if it is too tall for the standard Escape 5th wheel what are my options? Do they offer a lifted version?

I really appreciate the help!!

I will be really bummed if we cannot get an Escape with our truck
Hi: Segolily... One option would be to change down to smaller sized wheels and tires. This would require some Q&A's from the dealer and a tire store. Maybe an Auto Wrecker could help too. Alf
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... please help me understand if I am doing something incorrectly or if that is a loaded height or what?
Yes, it is the loaded height.

Quote:
Do they offer a lifted package if not?
Yes, for the current 5.0TA there is an option which is listed as
Quote:
High Lift Axle $300.00
This is not really a different axle; it is a spacer kit between the axle's brackets and the frame which lifts the trailer by 2-5/8".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #7

Actually it is: 4x4 Super Crew. Standard box 6.5'
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Actually it is: 4x4 Super Crew. Standard box 6.5'
The box and cab lengths don't change the height, unless the selection of cab and box leads to different springs in the suspension (for load capacity). 4WD often means taller, but the difference is much less than it was many years ago. Optional "off-road" and higher-payload packages can result in a taller truck.

While the F-150 has wheel diameters from 17" to 20", that doesn't change the height much because the overall diameter of the various optional tires is very close to the same. I certainly would not suggest using shorter tires to lower the truck - if the new tires are enough shorter to make a useful difference, the change in effective gearing would be excessive.

From discussions over the last year or two, the F-150 appears to be the most popular choice of truck among forum members towing the 5.0TA. As long as the truck is stock (not lifted with oversize tires and/or aftermarket suspension or body lift kit) it will work with a 5.0TA... although the trailer lift kit may be needed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
We have a 5.0TA due in May. Our signed-off build sheet includes a 57" bed height on a 2017 F150 and we did not receive any warning or concern about the height.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #10

According to this spec sheet , we are at 57.8" unloaded, which is close to the 58" we got on our tape measure: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...tes_010815.pdf

That's great to see they offer a high-lift axle, Brian B-P. I hope we can make that work!! We REALLY want to go with the Escape!!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
im ordering a f150 hoping
for 4 wheel drive so i hope it works out- i was not planning on getting the high lift.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Candace,
I live in the Des Moines area, have F150, 4X4, short bed 5.5 bed. I also have a 2016 5.0 TA, send me a message, you can see our setup and I think you will have a lot our your questions answered.
Rich
Lorry & Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #13

What kind of hitch did you get? Did you get the high lift option?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Reese hitch from TradeMasters, no high lift option
Lorry & Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorry & Rich View Post
Reese hitch from TradeMasters, no high lift option
Hi: Segolily... There's always a high lift option for an existing trailer. A competent RV Tech can flip the axle to under/over the springs if suspension consists of springs and shackles. Spacers can be added to the frame work if torsion axles were used. We have had 2 different sized trucks on our 5.0 and now a 5.0TA all with the same hitch and minor adjustments.
Reace& Tammy use a F150 4X4 Crew Cab truck also!!! Alf
Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
We are getting our 50 TA next month and according to Tammy my 2016 F150 4x4 should work just fine. She recommended not getting the lift as the rail height is 55 1/2". This being measured at center of wheel using a level set at top of rail on level floor. In her email she said that 58" would be the highest height for a 50 TA and I believe this would be with the raised axle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My 2015 F150 fully outfitted ready to connect had a rail height of 55". Never had to do a lift kit, which I was glad about.

I do have my Anderson Ultimate hitch ball at it's lowest setting, but if really needed the pin box is in the middle position and could be lowered one notch too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I too have the Anderson hitch. Good to know I made a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #19

just got a note from escape side height needs to be under 56 inch from top of truck bed to ground. A 4wd 150 seems to be 56.3 based on the printed spec sheets. so pretty close. the sheet also said short bed at floor is 5'.59"long escape said shortest bed they can use is 5'6"- really close but lots on this form have said they haul a 5.0 with a short bed 4wd150. I'm just trying to be sure it will work with the new model 5.0 before i buy a truck.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
A lot consider a 6.5 ft bed to be short, standard is 8. I've had 5.5 ft bed trucks before and personally wouldn't tow a fifth wheel with one. But others might do it.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote