2020/21 GMC Sierra SHORT bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
2020/21 GMC Sierra SHORT bed

Anyone towing a 5.0 with a 20/21 GMC Sierra, 5'10" bed AND a rail mounted Andersen Ultimate? Clearance or installation concerns whether you installed the rails or a trailer place did? I've searched threads for the past couple of hours and gotten close but not quite to finding the info, next step will be to contact individual members and ask...
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

OK, how about ANY short bed PU (<6’) with a rail mounted Andersen Ultimate? Same questions....
Old 01-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I read your post earlier, and my only qualification to answer is that I’ve done a lot of research on the Andersen Ultimate with a 5.0 in shorter beds, as I have put a deposit on a 5.0 and need to also purchase a truck.

That said, you should be ok with a 5’10” bed. By ok, I mean you’ll be really happy with your ability to tow, and you’ll be pretty happy with parking it in suburban parking lots (when you’re using the truck by itself)

With the model truck we were looking at, we had a choice of 5’2” and 6’2”. People have done both with the 5.0, but I read a couple comments from people with the shorter bed that wished it was a little longer.

Installing the rails themselves is a comfort level question that I can’t answer for you. Personally, I think I could install the rails on our truck, but I’d prefer having someone who’s done more installs than me doing it, unless I think they’re gouging me on price.

Hope this helps
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #4

Installing the rails isn’t too big a concern, it’s the placement of the rails for the Andersen hitch and the subsequent clearances for bed sides, tailgate and mainly tailgate clearance when it’s down and still hooked up. Had a couple trucks pulling my TA, the first a 2500 Dodge with rails that had a great distance between the lowered tailgate and the TA. The current Titan XD with the 3 pt bed gooseneck system and Reese hitch doesn’t allow the bed to be down when hooked up and it’s a 6’7” bed. Looking for a rail system/Andersen owner with a short bed and some tailgate dropped info.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
The current Titan XD with the 3 pt bed gooseneck system and Reese hitch doesn’t allow the bed to be down when hooked up and it’s a 6’7” bed.
Just curious... do you know where the Titan's OEM in-bed ball is located, relative to either the axle line or the rear edge of the bed floor?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
If the rails are mounted too far forward you can't lower your tailgate when hooked to the trailer. If mounted too far back you'll hit the tailgate in dips/rises. I believe the center of the rear rail needs to be somewhere around 24" from the inside rear of the tailgate. It's dark and chilly here in the campground, but if I remember later I'll measure.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just curious... do you know where the Titan's OEM in-bed ball is located, relative to either the axle line or the rear edge of the bed floor?
The gooseball hole is 43 3/4” from the back edge of the bed, and looking down thru it, it’s pretty near on top of the diff...
Old 01-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #8

The center of the rear rail to the inside of the tailgate is 32 1/2". We have the rail version of the Andersen hitch.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The center of the rear rail to the inside of the tailgate is 32 1/2". We have the rail version of the Andersen hitch.

Enjoy,

Perry
Cool! I reckon your F150 has the 5.5’ bed and no real problems with clearances. Not too worried about 90° stuff, and I imagine I’ll have to drop my springs back under my axles on the 5.0 since I had to flip them over for the Nissan Titan XD. The GM truck I’m looking at is a 5’10” bed, so I should be good. Thanks Perry!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
The gooseball hole is 43 3/4” from the back edge of the bed, and looking down thru it, it’s pretty near on top of the diff...
Thanks!
I wondered if it might be further forward than that, causing problems with trailers (such as the Escape 5.0 and 5.0TA) having short reach. It's in a pretty typical place, but small distances can be important in this case.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
With the standard 22" on centre rail spacing, the hitch centre would be 43.5" from the inside of the tailgate. That's essentially the same as the ball of the Titan XD's OEM hitch, although the gooseneck-mounted Andersen Ultimate has one inch more offset than the rail-mounted version (6" versus 5"), which puts the ball one inch further rearward with the gooseneck (in the normal hitch orientation).

Of course clearance to the tailgate when it is down depends on the height (when up) of the tailgate, which varies between truck models and years.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Cool! I reckon your F150 has the 5.5’ bed and no real problems with clearances. Not too worried about 90° stuff, and I imagine I’ll have to drop my springs back under my axles on the 5.0 since I had to flip them over for the Nissan Titan XD. The GM truck I’m looking at is a 5’10” bed, so I should be good. Thanks Perry!
We have a 6 1/2' box.

It doesn't matter what the length of the box, it's the distance from the rails to the tailgate that determines if you can open the tailgate with the camper attached. All truck boxes would be within 1-2" to be able to open the tailgate, yet not have the hitch hit the top of the tailgate when in large dips or rises. If the rails are too far forward you can't open the tailgate. There is at least one 5.0 owner on this forum that can't fully open their tailgate when attached. We have over an inch of clearance when we're attached to the camper.

When our friends owned a 5.0, pulled with their Canyon, the distance from the center of the rails to the inside of the tailgate was within 1/2" of the distance of our F150's distance.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Anyone towing a 5.0 with a 20/21 GMC Sierra, 5'10" bed AND a rail mounted Andersen Ultimate? Clearance or installation concerns whether you installed the rails or a trailer place did? I've searched threads for the past couple of hours and gotten close but not quite to finding the info, next step will be to contact individual members and ask...
Quote:
OK, how about ANY short bed PU (<6’) with a rail mounted Andersen Ultimate? Same questions....
I have a short bed F150, I installed the rails with my mechanic, it was worth it. Access of a hoist was one reason, another being we did not do the "custom" brackets designed for the F150, they are designed to be mounted closer to the cab than I wanted. We ordered the "Universal Kit" from etrailer. We ended up using premade holes in the frame, no drilling of the frame was necessary.

Quote:
If the rails are mounted too far forward you can't lower your tailgate when hooked to the trailer. If mounted too far back you'll hit the tailgate in dips/rises.
Quote:
The center of my rear rail is 23" from the tailgate, making the center between the rails 34". If I were to redo it I would want to have the center 35" from the tailgate. The reason I would want to be 35" from the tailgate is because at 34" my kingpin is very close to hitting the tailgate (about an inch). This hasn't happened and we have been in many different configurations, but I think an additional inch would be best. I've had no issues with the kingpin and the F 150 box sides.

I have lots of room with the tailgate down and can hook up quite easily leaving the tailgate down. Picture attached.

Quote:
..... I imagine I’ll have to drop my springs back under my axles on the 5.0 since I had to flip them over for the Nissan Titan XD. The GM truck I’m looking at is a 5’10” bed, so I should be good.
I would reconsider going to the work of flipping your axles, I do not have the high lift but there are a couple advantages to consider, 1) easier to get under the trailer and 2) a far more often occurrence you gain an additional couple inches under your loft, both when hitched and when unhitched.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #14

Thanks Ron! Yup, I’ll only flip the springs back if she’s way out of level and nose down when we’re hooked up. By “hoist” I reckon you mean the truck was on a lift and you weren’t laying around on a concrete floor as I suspect I will be! Didn’t get the picture, but I’m pretty sure F150 short beds are 5’ 6” and the GM I’m looking at has an extra 4” at 5’10”....
Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Picture attached.

I would reconsider going to the work of flipping your axles, I do not have the high lift but there are a couple advantages to consider, 1) easier to get under the trailer and 2) a far more often occurrence you gain an additional couple inches under your loft, both when hitched and when unhitched.
Quote:
Thanks Ron! Yup, I’ll only flip the springs back if she’s way out of level and nose down when we’re hooked up.
The Andersen Ultimate has 3 height adjustments, I think I am in the one that has my ball lowest, I should think you wouldn't be nose down.

By “hoist” I reckon you mean the truck was on a lift and you weren’t laying around on a concrete floor as I suspect I will be!
Yes, that is what I meant

Didn’t get the picture, but I’m pretty sure F150 short beds are 5’ 6” and the GM I’m looking at has an extra 4” at 5’10”....
Oops, let me try that picture again
Attached Thumbnails
Hitched w tailgate down IMG_20200605_095625.jpg  
Old 01-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #16

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
I am also looking at the fitment of the Andersen Hitch system with a 2020 Chevy 1500 Crewcab Shortbed (Diesel) - 70" long bed. I believe that this is very similar to the GMC. When I looked at the configuration tool, Andersen apparently recommends against the rail version. It does say that the raised gooseneck version would work, but that would require the installation of a gooseneck hitch like the BW1019.

I am looking at 5.0 fit options because that is my plan B if the E23 keeps having delay issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Andersen Hitch Config.jpg  
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #17

Thanks for the chart! Yikes, had to go out and find the chart for the footnote! But I’ve found at least one member here with the same truck/trailer/hitch combo, and I believe they have the toolbox version. I’ve PM’d them to see if they have the 70” bed but no response yet. I’ve also put the question out to the Duramax forum!

On another note, other than this hitch issue, you will NOT regret getting the 5.0!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #18

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
I saw this one on facebook and I asked her about it. She said that they were using the B&W turnover hitch with the Andersen. 6' bed. Not sure if it's the raised version or not. This confirms my initial plan with the BW 1019 hitch and the Andersen 3217.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210122-082238.jpg  
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #19

I called Trademasters in Chilliwack and bounced this same combo off them and they agreed. B&W 1019 and the Andersen 3217 raised gooseneck version. I also measured a 2WD Sierra and the bed sides are 56” high while the bed side depth is 23”. It’s amazing how high a 2WD truck is these days. But lordy that’s a lot of money to pay for that piece of Andersen aluminum!��
Old 01-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Just measured the distances on my rail mounted Ultimate in my F150 6-1/2' bed. The hitch is mounted roughly centered over the axle.

Edge of rear rail to tailgate - 28.5
Center of rear rail to tailgate - 31.5
Center of ball with hitch oriented with ball toward tailgate - 37.5
Center of hitch to tailgate - 42.0

It's cold outside, the lighting isn't great in my garage, so I could be off 1/4" or so.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote