2020 RAM 1500 6.4 Bed/ Anderson Coupler forward? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
2020 RAM 1500 6.4 Bed/ Anderson Coupler forward?

Driving a 2020 RAM 1500 6.4 bed. Installed the steel Anderson Ultimate on Resse rails. When I pick up my 5.0, I will need to attach the Anderson coupler. For anyone with the same truck & hitch, is your hitch coupler mounted "forward" towards the truck or backward towards the trailer? Looks like "forward puts the trailer further from the truck and "backward" moves the trailer closer to the truck.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure about the coupler but wanted to advise you about your "temporary spare" on your Ram is not useable while towing. You need a full sized spare and carry it in your truck bed....
Old 04-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure about the coupler but wanted to advise you about your "temporary spare" on your Ram is not useable while towing. You need a full sized spare and carry it in your truck bed....
Thanks for the heads up but got that covered. Part of my deal with the dealership was the full size spare and OEM brake controller. My wife got us the side steps saying she couldn't get in the truck unaided without sidesteps. That actually worked...laff.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
When I pick up my 5.0, I will need to attach the Anderson coupler. For anyone with the same truck & hitch, is your hitch coupler mounted "forward" towards the truck or backward towards the trailer? Looks like "forward puts the trailer further from the truck and "backward" moves the trailer closer to the truck.
Have you seen the Escape 5.0 Towing Compatibility Guidelines? The last page shows the possible problem of "Pinbox to Truck Box Contact" (usually with the side of the truck box); mounting the coupler block forward does move the trailer back, and it also moves the back corner of the pin box closer to the box sides in turns. This is a potential problem (depending on pin box height versus the truck box), and so the typical practice is to mount the coupler block rearward to avoid this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Have you seen the Escape 5.0 Towing Compatibility Guidelines? The last page shows the possible problem of "Pinbox to Truck Box Contact" (usually with the side of the truck box); mounting the coupler block forward does move the trailer back, and it also moves the back corner of the pin box closer to the box sides in turns. This is a potential problem (depending on pin box height versus the truck box), and so the typical practice is to mount the coupler block rearward to avoid this.
Thanks for the reply. I did read that info, so was wondering what others who have the same truck have done. My thought was that I didn't want to spend a lot of time during the pickup process trying the coupler in different orientations. Figured I could start by using the recommendation, but also thought someone has my same truck out there and has done the experiments already. I should add my 5.0 will have the lift kit.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did read that info, so was wondering what others who have the same truck have done. My thought was that I didn't want to spend a lot of time during the pickup process trying the coupler in different orientations. Figured I could start by using the recommendation, but also thought someone has my same truck out there and has done the experiments already. I should add my 5.0 will have the lift kit.
Prior to getting our 5TA, I got a factory Ram 1500, RWD, quad cab, 6.4 box with rails for hitch. The trailer clearances were fine, nothing was close so if you are getting a lifted trailer, you will have more clearance. I think the position (height and front/back) of the hitch was very close to where an Andersen ball would sit.

I did have a RETRAX cover, it worked well with the trailer and truck. The only problem with the RETRAX unit was the drain holes plugged up, they were too small. I did end up selling the truck due to low payload capacity and too many dealer visits. Replaced it with F150 and a aluminum Andersen setup.

In any case, start with the Andersen red hitch adapter positioned so the ball is closest to the trailer. I did try the adapter turned the other way, but I did not like the way the trailer rode, a bit of bounce.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Prior to getting our 5TA, I got a factory Ram 1500, RWD, quad cab, 6.4 box with rails for hitch. The trailer clearances were fine, nothing was close so if you are getting a lifted trailer, you will have more clearance. I think the position (height and front/back) of the hitch was very close to where an Andersen ball would sit.

I did have a RETRAX cover, it worked well with the trailer and truck. The only problem with the RETRAX unit was the drain holes plugged up, they were too small. I did end up selling the truck due to low payload capacity and too many dealer visits. Replaced it with F150 and a aluminum Andersen setup.

In any case, start with the Andersen red hitch adapter positioned so the ball is closest to the trailer. I did try the adapter turned the other way, but I did not like the way the trailer rode, a bit of bounce.
Great info. Thanks!....Coupler closest to the trailer, it is. That will help us get on the road faster at the pickup point. Agree, on the ReTrax issue you mentioned. I saw several comments about debris clogging the drains. Happy to hear it works with a 1500 & 5.0. I'm looking at Pace Edwards as #1. It has drains front & rear & haven't read any clog compaints yet. Dimensions/mounts are very similar to the Retrax.
My RAM payload is 1786lbs which works for us with the Anderson. Just clicked over 2K miles & so far so good..... Curious about what troubles you had? We did get 5yr/100k bumper to bumper. Too many computers on trucks these days to go without protection.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
My RAM payload is 1786lbs which works for us with the Anderson. Just clicked over 2K miles & so far so good..... Curious about what troubles you had? We did get 5yr/100k bumper to bumper. Too many computers on trucks these days to go without protection.
I think ours was 2015, ordered with the least stuff on it for max payload, but when we got it it was 1200+, very disappointed. Liked the Hemi, smooth ride, but too many visits to fix stuff, locks, fan, connectors, recall issues, etc, mostly small stuff. I guess after selling so many, FCA put QC lower down the list. Even after 5 years after selling I still get recall letters. FCA or what ever it the current name is off my list if we ever get another vehicle.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I think ours was 2015, ordered with the least stuff on it for max payload, but when we got it it was 1200+, very disappointed. Liked the Hemi, smooth ride, but too many visits to fix stuff, locks, fan, connectors, recall issues, etc, mostly small stuff. I guess after selling so many, FCA put QC lower down the list. Even after 5 years after selling I still get recall letters. FCA or what ever it the current name is off my list if we ever get another vehicle.
The 1200 lb payload would be difficult. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the other stuff & have coverage should things begin happening. Recently won truck of the year so perhaps things have improved. In terms of truck reliability several Asian manufacturers are rated higher than both Ford and RAM, but I always buy American vehicles. Traded a Ford cargo van for the RAM now & had a Jeep Wrangler before that, so I'm bouncing back and forth between these two companies. So far it's been going smooth. I looked at an F150 & its a great truck as well. RAM dealer did the better job in my case and made the deal.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I believe ETI mounts them with the hole/cone aft towards the trailer and recommends to install that way. I'm going to ship mine up to have them install before they ship trailer.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I believe ETI mounts them with the hole/cone aft towards the trailer and recommends to install that way. I'm going to ship mine up to have them install before they ship trailer.
I'm good with installing the coupler and have the tools I'll need. With the aft mounting experience noted here, I'll only need to do it once at the pickup point and get on the road.
Thanks!